Canada?

I just want to add a comment, the number of kids marching today is down because most of us that marched in the hayday of drum corps in Canada....aren't having 4-6 kids like our parents did after World War II. :worthy::worthy:

Also the fact that there is so much more to do today than we have back in the 70's and 80's. :smile:

Just my opinion. :smile:

Speak for yourself Rob :worthy:

OK, a lot of us that marched in the 70's and 80's didn't have 4-6 kids......but then some did !! :worthy::smile:

Edited by ODBC

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to add on comment, the number of kids marching today is down because most of us that marched in the hayday of drum corps in Canada....aren't having 4-6 kids like our parents did after World War II. :worthy::smile:

Also the fact that there is so much more to do today than we have back in the 70's and 80's. :smile:

Just my opinion. :smile:

You may have a point Rob.... My parents had 10 kids and 4 of us marched.... I'm sure they were doing that because there wasn't much else to do but ... well you know.... :worthy::worthy:

You may have a point Rob.... My parents had 10 kids and 4 of us marched.... I'm sure they were doing that because there wasn't much else to do but ... well you know.... :smile::worthy:

Kind of interesting when you think about it but this could be an example of the changing face of Drum Corps in Ontario.....

All of my family (seven) either marched or volunteered at one point or another in the '70's

Out of five kids four of us marched.

Four out of five married a DC person.

We all had kids however only two of us had kids that marched (3)

As of last May none of them are involved.

Reasons for not getting the next generation involved - moving to a location where drum corps didn't exist, hockey, musical talents in other areas, soccer OR just not interested.

kel

Think about this too, if you want, how many corps members were from the same family ? :smile:

It wasn't unusual for there to be an entire family of siblings to be in the same corps !!! :worthy:

Not so much anymore, that I know of anyway. :worthy:

Think about this too, if you want, how many corps members were from the same family ? :smile:

It wasn't unusual for there to be an entire family of siblings to be in the same corps !!! :smile:

Not so much anymore, that I know of anyway. :wacko:

There were a few cases like that in Dutch when I was there - my kids to start with - the children of a certain snare tech for another, :ninja: 4 from another family (one of which now teaches Dutch!), 2 out of 3 kids from a family here in Guelph (and the youngest may have joined by now???), and there are 2 or three more where all or most of the kids from the same family marched that I can think of offhand. Yeah, still happens....

Isn't canada on strike?

nah, Bennigans gave em the hook up. They're all good now.

There are so many factors involved and it all seems like a chain reaction:

As Wendy said we don't, and never have, had the marching band support or culture that exists in the US that we could feed off. Up here we have the Burlington Teen Tour band who have travelled extensively throughout Canada, the US and Europe and have been great ambassadors. There have been two or three other communities (Windsor comes to mind) that have a marching band but it's never taken off in Canada the way it has in the US. Sadly it seems up here that being part of the band meant you were a geek or a nerd and I think that spilled over into drum corps.

Growing up in Southern Ontario in the 1970's there were many more youth bands; the Burlington Teen Tour Band and 2 or 3 from Windsor being the most prominate. There were also a ton of drum corps. The Burlington Band is primarily a parade unit that tours mainly in the summer and does a major tour every year or so. Recently they went to to Rose Bowl (fourth visit). In the 70's they and the Windsor bands would compete in the Detroit area in fieldshow competitions and once in a while you would see them at a DCI/DCA event as an exhibition unit. Vince Bruni came up a few times and taught Burlington's drill.

There have been many Burlington kids jump to drum corps and as stated in this thread, they were drummers. A few went to Toronto in the 70's and one snare drummer went to 27th Lancers. I know for fact with the Burlington Band they had and still have an incredible feeder program and a great drumming program. Their instructor is a former Commander (Lorne Ferrazutti). He is also connected with Optomist Alumni.

The Windsor bands have since folded or are smaller versions of what they use to be. The Burlington Band is still going strong (180 members) and is under the management of the City of Burlington and a well established booster organization.

Any bands or Drum Corps left in Canada that I have seen are in th 50-80 membership size today.

Edited by Canuck DCGroupie