Canada?

We do have football, it just isn't nearly as big a deal as it is in the States. None of the highschool sports are as well supported here as they are in the USA. I was surprised on tour to be entering a dinky little town and seeing signs that said "Home of the Spartans - state champs 1948" or whatever. So much pride and such great facilities for sport in pretty much every school we housed in. It really is quite a different culture in that regard. I'd like to see more of that kind of support for sports and band here.

If you look at it, how many of those who play in the CFL actually came from Canada? Maybe a punter/kicker because of the soccer clubs but that's about it. It's hard to play a halftime show during a hockey game (what do you mean we have to learn two shows for one game? LOL)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the census as of 2004 and just see how many are left both sides of the border

i was bored so i decided to see who's the oldest corps

Div 3 1927 Racine Scouts Div3 (oldest)

Div 2 1955 Spartans Div2 (9th Oldest)

Div 1 1934 The Cadets Div1 (2nd Oldest)

1927 Racine Scouts Div3

1934 The Cadets Div1

1936 Americanos Div3 gone

1938 Madison Scouts Div1

1940 Boston Crusaders Div1

1948 Cavaliers Div1

1952 Blue Saints Div3 still operating

1953 St. John's Div3 still operating

1955 Spartans Div2

1957 Troopers Div1

1958 Blue Knights Div1

1958 Seattle Cascades Div1

1960 Marion Glory Cadets Div3 gone

1960 Targets Div3

1961 Glassmen Div1

1961 Pioneer Div1

1963 Bandettes Div3 still operating

1963 Colts Div1

1963 Mandarins Div1

1964 Blue Stars Div3

1965 Citations Div3

1967 Phantom Regiment Div1

1967 Santa Clara Vanguard Div1

1970 Blue Devils Div1

1971 Kiwanis Kavaliers Div1 gone

1972 Bluecoats Div1

1975 Crossmen Div1

1976 Spirit Div1

1980 Southwind Div1 gone

1982 Kingsmen Div3

1986 Allegiance Elite Div3 gone

1987 Les Stentors Div3

1989 East Coast Jazz Div2 gone

1989 Magic of Orlando Div1 gone

1990 Carolina Crown Div1

1990 Jersey Surf Div2

1990 Raiders Div3

1991 Spirit of Newark Div3

1992 Phoenix Div3 gone

1993 Pacific Crest Div1

1997 Yamato Div3

1998 Impulse Div2

1998 Scenic City Div3 gone

1999 Capital Regiment Div1 gone

1999 Revolution Div2

1999 Teal Sound Div3

2000 Cadets of New York City Div3 gone

2000 Esperanza Div2 gone

2000 San Diego Alliance Div3 gone

2001 Lehigh Valley Knights Div3 gone

2002 Court of Honor Div3 gone

2002 Dimensions Div3 gone

2002 Memphis Sound Div2

2002 Quebec Alliance Div3 gone

USA 14 gone

Canada 3 gone

Here is the census as of 2004 and just see how many are left both sides of the border

USA 14 gone

Canada 3 gone

I'm a little confused on how you chose those corps, because we all know there have been more than 14 and 3 on the "fold" side of the ledger, but your dates span 1927 - 2002 so I can't see it was the "oldest" corps. How did you arrive at this list?

Sorry if I'm more stupid than usual today....

So - and this has nothing to do with amps, Bb or dancing guards - do you feel that drum corps is in fact dying an inevitable death?

I wouldn't be that negative on the future. The discussion has focused on the past and causes for the demise. What's not captured is the human spirit, if you will. There will always be people who are prepared to take on the challenge and, despite all the impediments to success, push through with their cause - drum corps folks are no different. Look at the people today committing time and effort to have their corps survive and hopefully prosper. Management has to be smart though; with all these challenges effective business models, fundraising and expense control become that much more important. Not to mention the artistic elements.

I personally don't have the stomach for it and few of us do.

So....... hats off to those that are trying and let's get over the bickering about amps, voice etc... and provide some inspirational support, volunteer time and $$$$$$$.

So....... hats off to those that are trying and let's get over the bickering about amps, voice etc... and provide some inspirational support, volunteer time and $$$$$$$.

:tongue: Bravo for sure!

USA 14 gone

Canada 3 gone

Ummmm, what?

Surely you remember ODCA?

When I started marching we had:

Emerald Knights

Cardinals

Northwind

St. Johns

Conqueror II

Ridge Raiders

Blue Saints

Empire Loyalists

CYE

Kiwanis Kavaliers

Squires

Oakland Crusaders

Bandettes

Cadets of Dutch Boy

...and there had already been many more to fold before that. I'm not sure where you got your numbers from.

I just want to add on comment, the number of kids marching today is down because most of us that marched in the hayday of drum corps in Canada....aren't having 4-6 kids like our parents did after World War II. :ph34r::tongue:

Also the fact that there is so much more to do today than we have back in the 70's and 80's. :blink:

Just my opinion. :tongue:

I just want to add on comment, the number of kids marching today is down because most of us that marched in the hayday of drum corps in Canada....aren't having 4-6 kids like our parents did after World War II. :ph34r::tongue:

Also the fact that there is so much more to do today than we have back in the 70's and 80's. :blink:

Just my opinion. :tongue:

Speak for yourself Rob :huh:

they are all still waiting at the hospital for their "free" health care? :smile:

I still have a Vinyl LP...(you know...record...those black discs that you had to play on a record player) featuring the Seneca Optimists...I dust it off once in a while and play it...good stuff.

"Where did they all go?"

Gas prices. I think it's really that simple. Gas prices throttled competitive touring Canadian drum corps.