South Power Regional

I, for one, have always enjoyed Choctawhatchee's shows (especially 2007!) and think this year is equally wonderful. Boring?? Perhaps, but they are very talented ladies doing some great things (especially with their bodies). I think the judges were right with their placements in SW in Florida.

if you're referring to their dance line, then congratulations for pointing out the obvious. they ARE dancers and don't spin any equipment whatsoever so they are going to do "some great things" with their bodies. as an ensemble, there were A LOT of timing problems when executing a specific movement/dance phrase. just watch replay, the video isn't going to lie. it's just because they're "choctaw" is why they are getting the scores the judges are giving them. they were dirtier than seminole, northview and stoneman as an ensemble, but yet they get 2nd. yay, WGI.

choctaw doesn't deserve what they have been getting.

i do agree with you, though, about cooper city and centerville.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think centerville does have an execution problem in equipement, and they should get dinged there. . .but that's not what's happening, they are getting dinged across the board, especially in GE. . and they are definitely not getting credit for their movement. . I mean they have andy toth of all people who is doing their movement. They should definitley be higher than what they are scoring. . . much higher. But, it seems they've reached the glass ceiling. Ok. . .off of the soap box.

Actually, not to get too technical, but to simply give credit where credit is due...Centerville's movement was written by Kelly Stephens (who also does the movement for Zydeco) as well as Byron Valentine (yeah...that would be me.) :tongue:

(I always feel like an awkward turtle posting on this thing.)

The show was staged by Bart Woodley and the concept was conceived by Keith Potter, who also created our soundtrack.

Andy wrote many of the weapon phrases during the "Whoopi" section, as well as the ending flag feature (both old and new.) Other equipment choreography was written by Sheldon Apo, Eric Jones, and myself.

Centerville is having a rebuilding year of sorts, with a smaller group and many younger members...however we'll keep pressing along until April 11th to see what happens. Thanks to everyone for their kind words about the show; we are glad there are so many people out there who like it. It's just about having fun and believing in what you are...which is kind of the colorguards mantra this season. No matter what happens in the end, the kids like performing the show - and that's what matters...ribbit. :tongue:

Best of luck to everyone in Dayton!

~Byron

if you're referring to their dance line, then congratulations for pointing out the obvious. they ARE dancers and don't spin any equipment whatsoever so they are going to do "some great things" with their bodies. as an ensemble, there were A LOT of timing problems when executing a specific movement/dance phrase. just watch replay, the video isn't going to lie. it's just because they're "choctaw" is why they are getting the scores the judges are giving them. they were dirtier than seminole, northview and stoneman as an ensemble, but yet they get 2nd. yay, WGI.

choctaw doesn't deserve what they have been getting.

i do agree with you, though, about cooper city and centerville.

Thank you !!!

True Or False: Stoneman Is Cleaner Than Chocta?

There are people here ripping Choctaw apart like they are an independent guard... they are really just high school girls, lighten up a bit.

Personally, in watching replay, I feel the show is very uplifting and beautiful. This sport is about art and they, to me, are creating beautiful art.

Keep at it Choctaw! You MUST be doing something right, or you wouldn't be where you are. Besides, the people that tear you down probably couldn't do what you do, and if they can, they are jealous.

There are people here ripping Choctaw apart like they are an independent guard... they are really just high school girls, lighten up a bit.

Personally, in watching replay, I feel the show is very uplifting and beautiful. This sport is about art and they, to me, are creating beautiful art.

Keep at it Choctaw! You MUST be doing something right, or you wouldn't be where you are. Besides, the people that tear you down probably couldn't do what you do, and if they can, they are jealous.

oh, please. the fact that choctaw is doing so well is because of their director and where he is in the WGI world. this sport is about politics and if you have a name or not. it's just like the movie "stick it."

Actually, not to get too technical, but to simply give credit where credit is due...Centerville's movement was written by Kelly Stephens (who also does the movement for Zydeco) as well as Byron Valentine (yeah...that would be me.) :worthy:

(I always feel like an awkward turtle posting on this thing.)

The show was staged by Bart Woodley and the concept was conceived by Keith Potter, who also created our soundtrack.

Andy wrote many of the weapon phrases during the "Whoopi" section, as well as the ending flag feature (both old and new.) Other equipment choreography was written by Sheldon Apo, Eric Jones, and myself.

Centerville is having a rebuilding year of sorts, with a smaller group and many younger members...however we'll keep pressing along until April 11th to see what happens. Thanks to everyone for their kind words about the show; we are glad there are so many people out there who like it. It's just about having fun and believing in what you are...which is kind of the colorguards mantra this season. No matter what happens in the end, the kids like performing the show - and that's what matters...ribbit. :smile:

Best of luck to everyone in Dayton!

~Byron

Thanks Byron! don't worry. . .we're a big dysfunctional family here. . .so no need to feel awkward!

I have to say the new ending to centerville's show is just amazing. . .I love it! There are a lot of us on here that like what centerville is doing! Keep pushing and what happens, happens. . .but it's nice to know that everyone is happy regardless of the outcome. It's a gorgeous show! Looks like big sections might have just been recently re-staged and re-written...as well as a member missing?

PS....after what Kennesaw Mountain pulled off in 2006. . .I think ANYTHING can happen at WGI during championships week. Here's to hoping your the Kennesaw of 2008! :-)

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

if you're referring to their dance line, then congratulations for pointing out the obvious. they ARE dancers and don't spin any equipment whatsoever so they are going to do "some great things" with their bodies.

This point doesn't really make much sense to me. I mean, there are some girls in Braddock who do nothing but dance, and I haven't seen anyone giving them crap about it, and in any number of shows you can say that certain performers do nothing but dance and spin flag. I'm not really sure why just dancing is any different; if they're executing it and it is effective then it doesn't matter.

Edited by Looks Like Liquid Purple

they're involved in sport where you get eaten alive, nomatter what age/division you're in.

they don't look like stupid girls, i'm sure they understand what a good debate/review is.

Plus, they just got second in a power regional.. They don't care what we say about them, that's guranteed.

oh, please. the fact that choctaw is doing so well is because of their director and where he is in the WGI world. this sport is about politics and if you have a name or not. it's just like the movie "stick it."

Just to make a point of clarity here.....are you speaking of the same director, in the same position with WGI in 2005..... when Choctawhatchee did NOT make finals at World Championships???

Just like another member of this topic.. (someone who started this topic...) it seems like you have a personal problem with a particular guard or director..

If you WATCH closely the "GUARD" members of Choctaw are ACTUALLY doing some great movement and some of the parts where you THINK it's the dancers doing all the "cool" stuff, look again, there's "GUARD" people doing it. They're ensemble movement is beautiful. Who cares that they don't spin? Really... it adds to the show, they look amazing, and who made a rule that everyone HAD to spin? I'm sure tons of Directors would love to have a dance line that could dance like that.

And on the cleanliness aspect.... does it really matter? what about the dropping aspect...(not that Choctaw did) but apparently you can still medal at WGI with multiple on huge effects.... I'm not going there.....but your point isn't valid.

Funny that the seasons almost over and you created an account just to post on this discussion...... bitter? a quarrel at a bar? rivals? personal issue with the director? there's gotta be something there... I understand opinions completely.. I respect your concern and your points, although.... why bash a group over your opinions on the politics? Do the politics make the kids catch their tosses? Do the politics make those turns amazing? No.....

I was not able to make it to the Tampa Regional... but from what I see on Re-Play, you are doing great Choctaw.... and the fact that there ARE innocent high school girls in this group.... CONGRATULATIONS... ignore the posts on here, you know your fans adore your show and appreciate your talent. See you in Dayton!