South Power Regional

Hmm...

I didn't really notice any of the crowd responses being dramatically overappreciative or underappreciative for any of the SW or IW shows on Sunday.

The only group that seemed to get a little extra energy from the "hometown crowd" was the University of South Florida guard competing in IO. But I was assuming that because the competition was taking place on their campus, USF probably had a few additional fans/family in the audience.

However, I was feverishly scribbling notes between performances. (Yes, I'm that geeky.) So, I wasn't really paying too much attention to the appleause level for any particular guard. Plus, I was sitting way, way WAY up in the rafters. So, I was kinda above/behind much of the crowd.

Course, the Replay video would more accurately tell the tale, I guess. As the saying goes, "The tape don't lie."

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any thoughts.

I have one! Blessed Sac should have been first!

true that,

love love love them. :)

i do enjoy NEi, but blessed sac is first in my mind

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Maybe from the lower classes?

SA and IA??

I didn't get to see Scholastics A, but I did get to see a couple from Independent A. River City Independent was ON FIRE. Their Finals performance was the greatest I have seen them all season. (I think that was the third or fourth time I had seen them). Fahrenheit A had an off-afternoon. Flags had some timing issues that I haven't seen before. It seemed that River City just wanted it more.

Scholastic Open was pretty good. Countryside's show is pretty. I love Freedom HS, but they had some issues during their performance. I was sitting next to a bunch of their parents (which happened at their home show a couple weeks ago), and many of them were disappointed. I found it interesting how they reacted like it was the end of the world when a person dropped a weapon toss. One woman kept putting her face in her hands like she was crying. I mean, I've seen a better show from them before, but it wasn't a horrible showing by any means. But anyways... Northmont HS has a great show, and those girls performed the heck out of it on Sunday.

Independent Open... I didn't see USF (although, I've seen them before). The other two groups were forgettable. Sorry. :tongue:

Scholastic World was the best division of the day, I thought. Seminole and Stoneman had amazing performances, especially Stoneman. Flanagan was on fire, too. I absolutely love their show. I'm hoping they take first at World Championships. It should be an interesting battle for the top.

Independent World, the group I waited for all day. The first one out, Premonition, was a great start to the division. They were on fire. I can definitely see why they topped In Motion. Their show was flat. Fahrenheit had a great show also, probably one of their best (if not best) of the season. The weapons looked good. Braddock was good. I don't like the show though. Code Black seemed to have a off performance. I expected more from them. Um... Phantom Regiment had a show. It was there. That's about it. Again, performed well, but most of it left me wanting more, especially the ending. The Knights are good; their show is growing on me. Blessed Sacrament bored me. They performed really well, but the concept... not really hypnotizing at all. I'll have to see that one again. Northeast Independent had a great show. I love their flag feature at the end. It's fun to watch.

Overall, it was a great show and definitely worth the money. I got to see some greats groups for the first time and some great performances from groups I have seen before. Plus, I got to watch my best friend perform in IW at the Sun Dome for the first time. That was cool. :tongue: I can't wait until FFCC Championships next week, and then I'll be watching the live feed of World Championships.

Edited by i_play_percussion

I totally have to agree Purple up above, Florida crowds cheer louder for Florida guards, same for Texas and California. Us Texans even sing "Deep in the heart of Texas" at Championships. It's not a matter of how many times you've seen the show, I seriously think it's a regional thing. Sac would always have been not quite as loud as the florida guards.

I sincerely believe that's ridiculous. You portray it as if it's some kind of cult-like behavior...like the guards from the area all band together and say "Ok, guys...we're only going to cheer for NEi and Premonition today because they're from down here. You can clap for cool stuff in Sac's performance, but remember, not too loud!"

I highly highly highly doubt any of that actually happens. Let's face it, all performers in this art, I'm sure, understand what underappreciation is, especially being affiliated with something that has such a 1950s connotation to it to people who don't know what goes on behind the scenes. I don't think anyone's out to hate on anyone. Especially one of the oldest and most successful independent guards in the country...

Note to Farenheit:

Get looser costumes.. nobody wants to see all of your bodily details while watching the show. :tongue:

Yes, I saw them in Nashville. I thought it was a shame that a few of them drove all the way up to Tennessee but forgot their pants.

Note to Farenheit:

Get looser costumes.. nobody wants to see all of your bodily details while watching the show. :tongue:

wow, that wasn't very nice.

Note to Farenheit:

NOTE TO AMFGX...

As a fan of colorguard.....I am now reminded why there are INDEPENDENT colorguards and scholastic guards.. Funny how last year the boys of Phantom and this years boys .....or should we say men......of Code Black....are way more revealing concerning body parts. As a matter of fact....I`m sure both of them wear dance belts . The dancers in Fahrenheit.....are all wearing dance belts too.....so please take a minute ....raise your eyes above the belt....and enjoy the show. Sometimes people see what they want to see. Watch the show.....uniforms for Fahrenheit World are period costumes....French...romantic...paris??? BTW....go to the Ballet......you will claw your eyes out !!

Take NOTE !!