Corps Returning After a Year of Inactivity

What are other corps that you know to have come back strong?

"Come back strong" is a loaded phrase. If a corps is having enough problems that it has to go inactive, then chances are it will take a while to get "strong".

In DCA, we have at least four examples (five, if Grenadiers make it back this season) of corps coming back after a year (or three) off in recent times.

First:

In 1997, Skyliners placed 13th. They left the scene in '98, but came back in '99 as the Class A champs. In '00 and '01, were Finalists in 9th place both times. In '02 went back to Class A, but were the A champs. In '03, were Finalists but in 12th place. Since '03, they weren't able to make Finals.

Second:

In 1992, Sunrisers placed 12th, which was a Finalist position that year. They were gone in 1993, but came back in '94 in 12th place (not in Finals). They regained Finals in 1995, rising to a high of 4th place in 1997. Sun slipped back to 8th in '99.

Third:

Sun went inactive again in '00. They returned in '03 in Class A, taking 2nd and then 3rd. In '05, they moved to Open, placing 15th then 16th. In '07, they returned to Class A, winning it.

(Sun has now gone inactive again. How will they do next year?)

Fourth:

In 2003, Crusaders placed 9th in Finals. In '04, they went inactive. In '05, they returned to Open Class, finishing 12th and then 12th again. Finally in '07, Cru made Finals in 10th.

Just to note, 2008 will be the first time DCA will not have both a Sun and a Sky (44 years).

While they didn't go inactive, Westshoremen did something fairly unprecedented (made even more amazing by Jeff's post saying they were almost dead early in '94). After a string of 5/6/7 places prior, Westshore finished in 10th at Finals in '94. But just the next season, they finished 2nd then won DCA the next year. Now, THAT'S coming back strong! (Unfortunately, that was followed by their last season in Finals in '97 - 7th. They had a couple more stabs at DCA in Class A, finishing last in '99 and '01 and beating only Allegheny Night Storm in '00.)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of those corps did something incredible when they came back. Regardless of their competitive results, they provided a place for dozens of people to enjoy their hobby. They also introduced dozens of rookies into the activity and gave them the education and experience they needed to continue marching wherever they are these days. I marched in all 3 of those corps. The younger (and sometimes the older) folks I marched with are now key members of the Bucs, Bush, Cabs, Brigs, Fusion, Cadets, Surf, Raiders, and probably a few others. Plus, we all had a great time and entertained the crowds we played for. I don't mean to get all "we're all winners 'cause we tried" here, but I wouldn't trade those experiences for all the medals and trophies in DCA history.

Sorry, missed the Cru reference above. I was not in Cru, but the other three. Shore, Sky & Sun.

All of those corps did something incredible when they came back. Regardless of their competitive results, they provided a place for dozens of people to enjoy their hobby. They also introduced dozens of rookies into the activity and gave them the education and experience they needed to continue marching wherever they are these days. I marched in all 3 of those corps. The younger (and sometimes the older) folks I marched with are now key members of the Bucs, Bush, Cabs, Brigs, Fusion, Cadets, Surf, Raiders, and probably a few others. Plus, we all had a great time and entertained the crowds we played for. I don't mean to get all "we're all winners 'cause we tried" here, but I wouldn't trade those experiences for all the medals and trophies in DCA history.

Great answer! I like your prospective!

Art

Archer Epler went inactive with it's last contest in September of 1967 & briefly combined with the Reilly Raiders in 1968. The decision was made to return as the Musketeers in 1974 and in 1976 they returned as a parade corps. A decision was made to return to the field of competition in 1980 with their first contest in 1981. After 3 straight DCA ninth place finishes, they retired from competition in 1984 and once again became a very fine exhibition/parade corps and remain so to this day. A highlight of their return was a great Dream contest exhibition in 1978 that simply enthralled the crowd. Archie was a perennial champion in the 1950s and early 60s and the corps that competed in the 80s IMO was large and immensely entertaining and talented. They are a tribute to tenacity by still being a quality exhibition corps today.

Cru 2005 WE GO ON!

rookie year woot

Have I ever said that I'm glad Cru is back? :innocent:

Yes I am glad when any corps can make it back.

I pray that Sky and Sun make it back!!!

And for that matter, any other corps that has found hard times on them that are trying to rebound.....Keep the faith!

:innocent:

Edited by skymello2

I recall that in 1961, the Lt. Norman Prince (Princemen) had a strong corps that was among the best of the senior units. They had a killer arrangement of "Conquest" off the line and was one of the earliest corps to play "West Side Story". The Cuban missile crisis resulted in the National Guard being activated, and in 1962, so many members were lost to being called up, the corps went inactive in competition, doing just a few parades.

Actually, CorpsReps lists the Princemen as competing in the Albany show in '62, so perhaps they weren't completely absent from the contest field that year.

"Come back strong" is a loaded phrase. If a corps is having enough problems that it has to go inactive, then chances are it will take a while to get "strong".

In DCA, we have at least four examples (five, if Grenadiers make it back this season) of corps coming back after a year (or three) off in recent times.

One example of a strong comeback might be Les Diplomates. Their first DCA finalist appearance (1970) was in a comeback year, after not fielding in '69. (The 1968 corps finished 15th in prelims.)