Corps Returning After a Year of Inactivity

I am disappointed that both the Skyliners and Sunrisers have gone inactive (or perhaps more accurately- non-competitive) for this year. I hope both make it back to the field of competition next year with strong corps and a vibrant membership. In the past, many corps have had to make the same decision. Which ones have become viable competitors again, and which have become a memory from the past? Some disappeared from competition only to be reborn years later as an alumni corps.

I recall that in 1961, the Lt. Norman Prince (Princemen) had a strong corps that was among the best of the senior units. They had a killer arrangement of "Conquest" off the line and was one of the earliest corps to play "West Side Story". The Cuban missile crisis resulted in the National Guard being activated, and in 1962, so many members were lost to being called up, the corps went inactive in competition, doing just a few parades. In 1963, they bounced back, fielding the largest corps they ever had, and were strong in 1964 and 1965. In 1966, (the year I was a member) we started out strong but lost members continuously through the year, going inactive again in 1967. Attempts to revive the corps took place years later, but with limited success. Unfortunately, there is no Princeman corps today, but the Prince VFW Post does serve as a sponsor and provides a home for my Boston Crusader Senior corps.

What are other corps that you know to have come back strong ?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brigs were away for a long time and came back to be a powerhouse in the late 90's and 2000's

Sun's come back twice so far.....in 1994 after being inactive in '93, and again in 2003 after three seasons on the inactive list.

Fran

I am disappointed that both the Skyliners and Sunrisers have gone inactive (or perhaps more accurately- non-competitive) for this year. I hope both make it back to the field of competition next year with strong corps and a vibrant membership. In the past, many corps have had to make the same decision. Which ones have become viable competitors again, and which have become a memory from the past? Some disappeared from competition only to be reborn years later as an alumni corps.

I recall that in 1961, the Lt. Norman Prince (Princemen) had a strong corps that was among the best of the senior units. They had a killer arrangement of "Conquest" off the line and was one of the earliest corps to play "West Side Story". The Cuban missile crisis resulted in the National Guard being activated, and in 1962, so many members were lost to being called up, the corps went inactive in competition, doing just a few parades. In 1963, they bounced back, fielding the largest corps they ever had, and were strong in 1964 and 1965. In 1966, (the year I was a member) we started out strong but lost members continuously through the year, going inactive again in 1967. Attempts to revive the corps took place years later, but with limited success. Unfortunately, there is no Princeman corps today, but the Prince VFW Post does serve as a sponsor and provides a home for my Boston Crusader Senior corps.

I had no idea Sunrisers were inactive for this season. That's a bummer.

I hope all of their members found a home for 2008.

Cru 2005 WE GO ON!

Arty K !!!! I finally figured out who BOSSOP was...... How is the BAC Sr. "Loser" competition going. I think about that while we are working out...and losing weight.

the 60's seemed to kill a lot of corps like SKEK and Mighty St Joes..... Didn't Sac reinvent themselves to carry on??

You got to hand it to corps that pull it back together.

Cru 2005 WE GO ON!

I'm glad you're losing weight. I think I found the weight you lost. The depression I experienced after the Patriots lost the Super Bowl is my excuse for not shedding the pounds. I wish I could be one of those people who lose their appetite when they're bummed out.

O.K.- you know who I am- who are you?

Art

Westshoremen Bonnie-Scots disbanded after 1972 DCA and didn't exist in the following season. 1974 Larry Hershman reformed the corps with about a 50/50 split of vets/rookies as the Westshoremen. Corps also went inactive for a few weeks in 1984 when there was a change of management.

BTW - First recording I bought with "Historic" DC shows ca 59/60 had Lt Norman Prince on it. Great slide sop work from the soloist.... :sad:

Jim, after the 94 season, the corps almost died. In fact, it was declared dead at a meeting in october at the old Embers.

Luckily, it came back quickly, but, due to many reasons we don't need to rehash, it flamed out just as fast