Corps Returning After a Year of Inactivity

Have I ever said that I'm glad Cru is back? :innocent:

haha thanks we're more than happy to be back :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Come back strong" is a loaded phrase. If a corps is having enough problems that it has to go inactive, then chances are it will take a while to get "strong".

In DCA, we have at least four examples (five, if Grenadiers make it back this season) of corps coming back after a year (or three) off in recent times.

First:

In 1997, Skyliners placed 13th. They left the scene in '98, but came back in '99 as the Class A champs. In '00 and '01, were Finalists in 9th place both times. In '02 went back to Class A, but were the A champs. In '03, were Finalists but in 12th place. Since '03, they weren't able to make Finals.

Second:

In 1992, Sunrisers placed 12th, which was a Finalist position that year. They were gone in 1993, but came back in '94 in 12th place (not in Finals). They regained Finals in 1995, rising to a high of 4th place in 1997. Sun slipped back to 8th in '99.

Third:

Sun went inactive again in '00. They returned in '03 in Class A, taking 2nd and then 3rd. In '05, they moved to Open, placing 15th then 16th. In '07, they returned to Class A, winning it.

(Sun has now gone inactive again. How will they do next year?)

Fourth:

In 2003, Crusaders placed 9th in Finals. In '04, they went inactive. In '05, they returned to Open Class, finishing 12th and then 12th again. Finally in '07, Cru made Finals in 10th.

Just to note, 2008 will be the first time DCA will not have both a Sun and a Sky (44 years).

While they didn't go inactive, Westshoremen did something fairly unprecedented (made even more amazing by Jeff's post saying they were almost dead early in '94). After a string of 5/6/7 places prior, Westshore finished in 10th at Finals in '94. But just the next season, they finished 2nd then won DCA the next year. Now, THAT'S coming back strong! (Unfortunately, that was followed by their last season in Finals in '97 - 7th. They had a couple more stabs at DCA in Class A, finishing last in '99 and '01 and beating only Allegheny Night Storm in '00.)

actually Dale, it was late 1994. Early October. 4 weeks later we were told it was back on.

and then after the hell that was 1997, the corps appeared as a...well..mini corps in 98 (mini as in they performed at the show, but had about 30 bodies more than allowed) and came back to be a Class A corps 99-01

I believe also the Yankee Rebels did this. In 77, they became Southwind, which went inactive in 78. in 1980 and 81 I do remember seeing the Rebels at Prelims. In 80 I believe they were 11th

One example of a strong comeback might be Les Diplomates. Their first DCA finalist appearance (1970) was in a comeback year, after not fielding in '69. (The 1968 corps finished 15th in prelims.)

A different time and place...nowdays to come back after a year in absence and make finals would be a real task. I am truly proud of Cru coming back to a 12th place OPEN CLASS finish after 2004.

Donny

I believe also the Yankee Rebels did this. In 77, they became Southwind, which went inactive in 78. in 1980 and 81 I do remember seeing the Rebels at Prelims. In 80 I believe they were 11th

While back someone here (Robbie Ellis?) said the 80-81 Rebs were a different group that just used the name. www.dbcna.com has two Yankee Rebels listed and the newer one has "formerly Cavaliers" after it. Remember seeing them too and they had Trooper style unis and not orange/white.

No idea who sponsored them...

Does Carolina Gold fit in here? They did not compete last year, but are returning to the field in 2008.

I would say it does. The only difference is that we don't know if they will come back strong, as it's happening now as opposed to already happening and looking back on it.

My guess is that Carolina Gold will drop to A Class, they're size leans towards that anyway.

They're still pushing strong this season, in fact i'm going to hear the play at an winterguard show in exhibition this afternoon, so we'll see.

Either way, I wish the best for carolina gold, i'll march there again when i age out, lol.

A different time and place...nowdays to come back after a year in absence and make finals would be a real task. I am truly proud of Cru coming back to a 12th place OPEN CLASS finish after 2004.

Donny

Had one of the most fun and challenging times in my life that summer. I would not trade the summer I had for Cru for any other corps experience. 2005 was amazing by far. I remember our first rehearsal with 6 horns and then prelims night with a 34 horn powerhouse and amazing conceptual show. We had some trying times that season but the reward was something unforgettable in the end, I am sure Donny will agree.

Joey O.

WE GO ON!

Edited by joeyocorps

I would say it does. The only difference is that we don't know if they will come back strong, as it's happening now as opposed to already happening and looking back on it.

My guess is that Carolina Gold will drop to A Class, they're size leans towards that anyway.

They're still pushing strong this season, in fact i'm going to hear the play at an winterguard show in exhibition this afternoon, so we'll see.

Either way, I wish the best for carolina gold, i'll march there again when i age out, lol.

I hope to see Carolina Gold back alive and well. I know they had to take a year off to get their roots back and get their house in order. They must be shooting for a stealth attack. In fact, that's probably why they hadn't been mentioned yet. Very quiet and mysterious. I suspect something big will come out of their camp come competition season.

Remember seeing them too and they had Trooper style unis and not orange/white.

No idea who sponsored them...

Yep.. we saw them at the Midland, PA, show in 1980, and they had those cavalry uniforms.

Fran