Corps Returning After a Year of Inactivity

QUOTE (jeffsnewjetta @ Apr 4 2008, 11:06 PM)

I believe also the Yankee Rebels did this. In 77, they became Southwind, which went inactive in 78. in 1980 and 81 I do remember seeing the Rebels at Prelims. In 80 I believe they were 11th

While back someone here (Robbie Ellis?) said the 80-81 Rebs were a different group that just used the name. www.dbcna.com has two Yankee Rebels listed and the newer one has "formerly Cavaliers" after it. Remember seeing them too and they had Trooper style unis and not orange/white.

No idea who sponsored them...

It was me, Jim.

Southwind was a separate unit that formed after the Yankee Rebels disbanded in 1976. They had many of the former Yankee Rebels players and some of the instructors in the ranks. They are not associated with the Yankee Rebels or the Yankee Rebels Alumni Association.

I don't know who the Cavaliers are that are referrenced but there was a small junior then all age corps in the mid to late 80s called the Hamilton Knights. They competed at DCA prelims 1 year (1988?) and placed pretty far down. They wore a Troopers style uniform. The second Yankee Rebels from 80-81 were a different group that somehow used the name but is not associated with our corps, past or present. There might have been some former players from the original Yankee Rebels and Southwind in that corps but I wouldn't know. Can't say who sponsored them either. I know it was not Hamilton American Legion.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was me, Jim.

Southwind was a separate unit that formed after the Yankee Rebels disbanded in 1976. They had many of the former Yankee Rebels players and some of the instructors in the ranks. They are not associated with the Yankee Rebels or the Yankee Rebels Alumni Association.

I don't know who the Cavaliers are that are referrenced but there was a small junior then all age corps in the mid to late 80s called the Hamilton Knights. They competed at DCA prelims 1 year (1988?) and placed pretty far down. They wore a Troopers style uniform. The second Yankee Rebels from 80-81 were a different group that somehow used the name but is not associated with our corps, past or present. There might have been some former players from the original Yankee Rebels and Southwind in that corps but I wouldn't know. Can't say who sponsored them either. I know it was not Hamilton American Legion.

Thanks, at least my memory ain't totally crap. :ph34r: Story I remember hearing about Southwind was they were allowed to use the Yankee-Rebel name for the '77 "regular season" so they could get more DCA shows since YRs were a DCA Member. In fact, the only recording of the corps that I'm aware of was done at the Hershey show. If they went by Southwind they would be a non-member and probably would get very few, if any, DCA shows. We did a lot of RCA shows in '77 and those usually had a full slate of corps so doubt if a totally new "Southwind" would have gotten many RCA show either. Anyway last place at a DCA show paid more than first than an RCA show (at least Hershman yelled that one night).

Now can't remember if using the YR name during part of the season was said by someone in the know or just a good guess. Then at DCA Prelims they offically changed to Southwind which was their only show under that name.

Westshore had some Hamilton Knights in 85 when we were rebuilding but only remember seeing the jackets.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Westshore had some Hamilton Knights in 85 when we were rebuilding but only remember seeing the jackets.

Yes, I do remember them going up to Westshore. Some of them stayed for a quite a while and were there when Westshore was back and winning.

wonder who that was, I don't remember anyone ever saying they had been with Hamilton

wonder who that was, I don't remember anyone ever saying they had been with Hamilton

Jeff, I will PM you.

Robbie

thanks...I had no idea it was them!

I don't know who the Cavaliers are that are referrenced but there was a small junior then all age corps in the mid to late 80s called the Hamilton Knights. They competed at DCA prelims 1 year (1988?) and placed pretty far down.

That was 1987; they placed last (23rd).

I remember seeing the Hamilton Knights at the Chesapeake, MD, DCA show that year. (Didn't they sponsor that show?) The show was on an incredibly hot day - SCA and Bucs practiced in a park, on opposite sides of the road. Bucs gave up and took a siesta. We pushed through the steamy afternoon (someone said the Heat Index was 108 deg F) and won the show that night (beating Bush by half a point - a small bit of revenge for losing DCA the prior year.)

There was a good after-show party that night too. Don't remember where. (I was a rookie, riding a bus, so how did I know where anything was?)

Yes, those Knights looked very Trooper-ish. I remember someone talking about some corps called the "Yankee Rebels". Little did I know....

Edited by Dale Bari

That was 1987; they placed last (23rd).

I remember seeing the Hamilton Knights at the Chesapeake, MD, DCA show that year. (Didn't they sponsor that show?) The show was on an incredibly hot day - SCA and Bucs practiced in a park, on opposite sides of the road. Bucs gave up and took a siesta. We pushed through the steamy afternoon (someone said the Heat Index was 108 deg F) and won the show that night (beating Bush by half a point - a small bit of revenge for losing DCA the prior year.)

There was a good after-show party that night too. Don't remember where. (I was a rookie, riding a bus, so how did I know where anything was?)

Yes, those Knights looked very Trooper-ish. I remember someone talking about some corps called the "Yankee Rebels". Little did I know....

Dale, you are correct! The Hamilton Knights did sponsor a field show in 1987. I think it was a valiant attempt at reviving the great March of Champions field show sponsored by the Yankee Rebels in the 60s and 70s. I barely remember the intense heat but the show was held quite a distance from Baltimore and the after show party was at an American Legion post in Arnold, Md, I think. Now I seem to recall the Hamilton Knights also sponsored a field show in 1984 at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore but they couldn't get the stadium for the show in 1987. The grounds keeper didn't want any more drum corps shows ruining his field.

Gosh, I haven't thought about this stuff in years!! I remember SCA at the party.

Dale, you are correct! The Hamilton Knights did sponsor a field show in 1987. I think it was a valiant attempt at reviving the great March of Champions field show sponsored by the Yankee Rebels in the 60s and 70s.

Gosh, I haven't thought about this stuff in years!! I remember SCA at the party.

I can picture my souvenir program in my mind (I have to, 'cause it's in cold storage): It was orange and did indeed say "March of Champions" on the cover.

It was my ever first after-show party, and I got the impression we (SCA) were leaving our indelible mark on it. Fun times.