A question to the members of the Cadets of the last few years

I know alot of people have expressed displeasure in George Hopkins, and the Cadets over the last few years. I know Star during the early 90's had some rough moments with the crowd as well. And while I personally love most aspects of recent shows of Cadets(and have had a few moments I wasn't really excited with), I was just wondering, from a members/staff/volunteer perspective, how did you feel about your seasons of controversial shows?

I remember talking with one of the souvie people in Madison in 2006 from the Cadets booth. A wonderful young man from Illinois who was in high school. The booth didn't have many people there, and the kid was exhausted. As I was buying some souvies, he asked me how I liked the show. I told him how I really loved the show, but also felt some parts could be changed and they could have an even better show. We had the opportunity to chat several times over the next couple of days, and I could see the frustration from him over how rude some of the fans had been to him, and to members of the staff and corps.

So, some of the things I was wondering to those of you involved in/with the corps....

Did you have any idea when auditioning that your show would be considered controversial? Did the staff/section leaders give you any indication during the audition process?

Were people rude to you during your time off the field, whether it be in the souvie area, behind the stadiums before or after shows, or even during your show?

Even with the controversy of the season, did you have an enjoyable experience, or did it ruin the season for you?

If you had know how the season would end up, would you still have done it all over again?

And finally, did you really enjoy the show you performed? Did it make any difference it whether it was controversial or not? Do you think you would have enjoyed performing the show even more if the controversial parts had been taken out?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To my knowledge Star was never controversial because of their shows, ie. music, design, etc... Everyone was just jealous cause they had more money than God and ate Lobster every night (unlikely but that was kind of the impression), and because they were top 12 so quickly after being formed. Didn't mean to hijack this thread given I didn't march either corps, just thought I'd point out the difference.

I know alot of people have expressed displeasure in George Hopkins, and the Cadets over the last few years. I know Star during the early 90's had some rough moments with the crowd as well. And while I personally love most aspects of recent shows of Cadets(and have had a few moments I wasn't really excited with), I was just wondering, from a members/staff/volunteer perspective, how did you feel about your seasons of controversial shows?

I remember talking with one of the souvie people in Madison in 2006 from the Cadets booth. A wonderful young man from Illinois who was in high school. The booth didn't have many people there, and the kid was exhausted. As I was buying some souvies, he asked me how I liked the show. I told him how I really loved the show, but also felt some parts could be changed and they could have an even better show. We had the opportunity to chat several times over the next couple of days, and I could see the frustration from him over how rude some of the fans had been to him, and to members of the staff and corps.

So, some of the things I was wondering to those of you involved in/with the corps....

Did you have any idea when auditioning that your show would be considered controversial? Did the staff/section leaders give you any indication during the audition process?

Were people rude to you during your time off the field, whether it be in the souvie area, behind the stadiums before or after shows, or even during your show?

Even with the controversy of the season, did you have an enjoyable experience, or did it ruin the season for you?

If you had know how the season would end up, would you still have done it all over again?

And finally, did you really enjoy the show you performed? Did it make any difference it whether it was controversial or not? Do you think you would have enjoyed performing the show even more if the controversial parts had been taken out?

Well if you want to consider 1999 (because of the tarps) and 2000 (because of the "any key" instruments) controversial shows, I can't say that I would have thought 1999 would be controversial because I really didn't think tarps would be that big of a deal. But 2000, I thought it would be considered controversial because I knew we would be basically changing the name of the activity and I know how some people can feel about change, which is understandable.

The only time I think people were rude was at finals in 1999 when we were in full retreat and someone yelled out "YEA SUCKS". I don't really remember people being rude to us at all in 2000.

I had a pretty enjoyable experience toward the end of 1999 because we were finally coming together as a corps. And 2000, that was BY FAR the best year of drum corps for me EVER!! No matter what the outcome, I still would have marched BOTH years.

1999 only became enjoyable for me towards the end of the season and in turn I loved performing it. And I am sure I would have enjoyed it whether or not we had the tarps. 2000, I mean, the year just says it all. I LOVED performing that show. I was pretty sad when the season was done and we couldn't perform it anymore. I think it would have been enjoyable with or without the "any key" instruments.

If this is irrelevant to your question as far as Cadets shows within the last few years (I wasn't sure how far back you were talking), then please disregard my post.

And finally, did you really enjoy the show you performed? Did it makThie any difference it whether it was controversial or not? Do you think you would have enjoyed performing the show even more if the controversial parts had been taken out?

This is a pretty good topic starter - hopefully it wont get hijacked by negativity.

In 2005, I think we knew our show was good. Yeah it was weird, but we actually did feel like we were really 'on the edge'. After several years of doing 'safe' shows, i think 2005 was a breath of fresh air. There were a few moments early in the season where we may have had some doubts, but the quality of the book, the concept, and the fact that we were a veteran laden corps made a big deal. That year, we really bought into whole 'innovative' thing, and it showed in the fact that we didnt really care what people thought. George made a habit of reading us hate mail or funny posts from dcp as a way of motivation. It's pretty easy to laugh at the doubters when you're kicking everyone's ### though :worthy: Even at finals, when we got a few boos, we took it as displeasure with the spead, and / or the fact that we essentially stole the brass caption award from under pr and cavies (due to announcer error)

2006 was a different story. Show design wise, it seemed like we tried to do everything 05 did, but more abstract, more crazy, and more difficult. This would have been an ok idea maybe, except for the fact that the 06 corps had half the vets that 05 did. We were much less aggressive as a corps, and so when the adversity hit us, it was too late. We were still being told the same things about 'being on the edge' and doing things that hadnt been done before, but I think the novelty started to wear off. As far as the show design, there really were some incredible things in that show, and I honestly dont think it was all that complicated. Girl falls into a rabbit hole, has a strange dream, tries to get home - easy. For the more serious fan, there was the tie-in to the previous year, but that wasnt an essential thing to grasp. I think what made 06 harder than 05 to bear was that we just werent as good. As far as enjoying the show - I certainly didnt enjoy carrying those tables onto the field in place of marching in the block, but it had to be done. I think the show was just as fan, and maybe more interesting to watch, but because of the corps attitude (mine included), it wasnt as fun to rehearse, which makes a big difference when you consider how much time over the summer you spend in rehearsal.

For 2007 - check out some of the old hashgate threads. A few cadets posted some very candid responses about how the audience received them.

HiJaked Way to DCP guys HIJAKING Again <sigh>

No, but really...they did eat lobster every day.

LOL!!!

This is a pretty good topic starter - hopefully it wont get hijacked by negativity.

In 2005, I think we knew our show was good. Yeah it was weird, but we actually did feel like we were really 'on the edge'. After several years of doing 'safe' shows, i think 2005 was a breath of fresh air. There were a few moments early in the season where we may have had some doubts, but the quality of the book, the concept, and the fact that we were a veteran laden corps made a big deal. That year, we really bought into whole 'innovative' thing, and it showed in the fact that we didnt really care what people thought. George made a habit of reading us hate mail or funny posts from dcp as a way of motivation. It's pretty easy to laugh at the doubters when you're kicking everyone's ### though :worthy: Even at finals, when we got a few boos, we took it as displeasure with the spead, and / or the fact that we essentially stole the brass caption award from under pr and cavies (due to announcer error)

2006 was a different story. Show design wise, it seemed like we tried to do everything 05 did, but more abstract, more crazy, and more difficult. This would have been an ok idea maybe, except for the fact that the 06 corps had half the vets that 05 did. We were much less aggressive as a corps, and so when the adversity hit us, it was too late. We were still being told the same things about 'being on the edge' and doing things that hadnt been done before, but I think the novelty started to wear off. As far as the show design, there really were some incredible things in that show, and I honestly dont think it was all that complicated. Girl falls into a rabbit hole, has a strange dream, tries to get home - easy. For the more serious fan, there was the tie-in to the previous year, but that wasnt an essential thing to grasp. I think what made 06 harder than 05 to bear was that we just werent as good. As far as enjoying the show - I certainly didnt enjoy carrying those tables onto the field in place of marching in the block, but it had to be done. I think the show was just as fan, and maybe more interesting to watch, but because of the corps attitude (mine included), it wasnt as fun to rehearse, which makes a big difference when you consider how much time over the summer you spend in rehearsal.

For 2007 - check out some of the old hashgate threads. A few cadets posted some very candid responses about how the audience received them.

For the record, I am an old schooler when it comes to drum corps...at least I've been around it a long time...and in 2006 (the year of the tables of female singer?) my son (age 20) and I both enjoyed Cadets more than any other show. My daughter was in Surf and we still liked Cadets more. That show just sucked us in and we found ourselves glued to the field the entire show. I was really skeptical that year before seeing the show and after reading everyone else's comments, but the more we saw your show, the more we liked it...until it became our favorite of the summer..so Kudos to you...