A question to the members of the Cadets of the last few years

In 1987, we paid $10.00 per camp and $100.00 for "tour fee" for a grand total of $200.00.

Who from 87 did you get to march with?

Tony

The guy played Baritone and I can remember his face and I'm sure he's in one of my old pictures.

He marched Star 86 and Sky Ryders 87. He must have really wanted to march Sky Ryders because I'm prettey sure I payed 1,200.00 for tour fees.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what were other corps' fees in the same timeframe? My fee in 84 for BD was $450....so if Star's in 85 was the same as you paid in 87, it;s not so much of a big deal.

We paid $10 a camp, no additional fees for a grand total of $100 in 1985.

The first time I heard Star booed was at the Preview of Champions in '92 in Tennessee.

Yeah, I was there. No one really had a problem until they were announcing the subcaptions (Yes they did that then) and Star had won G E. There were some BOOs and alot of murmuring like "that boring show got General Effect?!?!". I wasn't booing but I was shaking my head and thinking the same thing.

Not that I agree with you on some of the above, but the only thing I would really question is why you consider a microphone a prop. Do you consider a mute a prop on a trumpet? Is a sound reflector on a snare drum a prop, or is it a way to make the sound project? I guess if you consider those to be props, than mics might be props too.

Mics = Amps which I am against. I was just OK with the amping of the pit since some of the sounds that can be created can add to the experience on the field. BUT, I am 100% against voice.

It is probably the old time drum corps person in me, but I do think there is a line to where this activity becomes not "drum corps" and it becomes BOA or WGI with horns. And we have crossed it. Obviously this subject has been discussed to death so I'll leave for another topic.

Mics = Amps which I am against. I was just OK with the amping of the pit since some of the sounds that can be created can add to the experience on the field. BUT, I am 100% against voice.

It is probably the old time drum corps person in me, but I do think there is a line to where this activity becomes not "drum corps" and it becomes BOA or WGI with horns. And we have crossed it. Obviously this subject has been discussed to death so I'll leave for another topic.

Too late for that.

Oh, I can appreciate that, while totally disagreeing; I just don't know how a mic can be called a 'prop'.

Oh, I can appreciate that, while totally disagreeing; I just don't know how a mic can be called a 'prop'.

prop (plural: props)

An item placed on a stage to create a scene or scenario in which actors perform a play in a theatre or motion picture. Usually the term "props" is reserved for objects with which an actor interacts (e.g. a glass, a book or a weapon). Larger items adding to the scene, (e.g. chairs) are considered part of the set.

"They used the trophy as a prop in the movie."

Although I agree, a mic is not meant to be a visual prop but it certainly is an item that an actor/marcher interacts with. Now, I am sure this can be said of a horn, drum or flag but a mic and amp is being used to help project a sound that can't be heard or be heard enough (in a designers view) using its natural way of projecting that sound. This is meant to create a different "scene or scenario". Example: if the Cadet members voices were not mic'd and amped last year, could we hear their voices? No. Wel,, at least not enough in George's view.

Bottomline, if a sound cannot be heard using its natural way of being heard (drum drumming, horn playing), then it shouldn't be used. Again, this is my personal old time drum corps view.

An item placed on a stage to create a scene or scenario in which actors perform a play in a theatre or motion picture. Usually the term "props" is reserved for objects with which an actor interacts (e.g. a glass, a book or a weapon). Larger items adding to the scene, (e.g. chairs) are considered part of the set.

Lol...by that logic, a horn is a prop, since the last time I checked, the players interacted with the horns and drums.

Look - if you prefer unamplified sound, great...i can buy that- but there's no reason to nit-pick at reasons for your dislike

Lol...by that logic, a horn is a prop, since the last time I checked, the players interacted with the horns and drums.

Look - if you prefer unamplified sound, great...i can buy that- but there's no reason to nit-pick at reasons for your dislike

If you are going to quote my post make sure you quote the whole post:

Although I agree, a mic is not meant to be a visual prop but it certainly is an item that an actor/marcher interacts with. Now, I am sure this can be said of a horn, drum or flag but a mic and amp is being used to help project a sound that can't be heard or be heard enough (in a designers view) using its natural way of projecting that sound. This is meant to create a different "scene or scenario". Example: if the Cadet members voices were not mic'd and amped last year, could we hear their voices? No. Wel,, at least not enough in George's view.

Bottomline, if a sound cannot be heard using its natural way of being heard (drum drumming, horn playing), then it shouldn't be used. Again, this is my personal old time drum corps view. I did say that horns and drum can be concidered a prop by this definition.

BTW, they are MY reasons so I have the right to nit-pick all I want. Just like you have the right to nit-pick my nit-picking.

Bottomline, I throw all of it (amps, mics, props, guitars, electric piano's, etc) all in the same catagory. I just call them "props".

Bottomline, if a sound cannot be heard using its natural way of being heard (drum drumming, horn playing), then it shouldn't be used. Again, this is my personal old time drum corps view.

Actually, a horn is a prop too, then, which is OK. What exactly IS a brass instrument? It's a way to amplify and modify the buzzing of someone's lips as they blow air through them.