Awkward Moments

Hmmm where to start. Drum corps by its nature can be the progenitor of many an embarrassing moments. All that closeness and no where to run.

Standing in a company front on the 50 yard line in the middle of the day and then on the ready front getting pantsed and THEN a wedgie in front of the guard. Oh how I paid the price to march as a rookie in 82!

After a free day barfing out the window of the bus while members of Madison were standing outside th bus trying to pick up on guard members through those very same windows. Couldn't you just let me be sick in peace?

How I got my nickname...this is a family website right?

have your first gf dump you in the middle of tour and start dating one of th equipment truck drivers. not so much embarrassing. but definitely awkward.

ok that was cathartic. :worthy:

Edited by taters

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second rookie talent night, but unfortunately, I can not go into any more details. Now for a story of my own (one of many, really)

About my second or third week in the corps, during my rookie year, it was raining during a visual rehearsal. It rained pretty much every day, but for this rehearsal, the staff shouted some quick instructions of where to meet and when. I apparently misheard them, because I thought i had time to change into dry clothes before heading to basics in the gym. Imagine the awkward silence as I walked into the gym in nice clean, dry, clothes, while the rest of the hornline was at attention in a block, still dripping wet, staring at me. Awkward..... :worthy:

Ouch..

I brought twister to the first couple of camps. We could only get guys to play. =\

We had been at a school in Michigan City rehearsing for a couple of days. It was about 3am and I woke up to use the bathroom. I was tired, fairly out of it, and as soon as I got to the gym doors to go into the hall, they all of sudden open like magic. Now I'm a little freaked out, and as I go through the door our brass caption head and corps director are standing there holding the door trying not to laugh. I do double check of everything while all sorts of thoughts are swirling around my barely conscious mind, mostly to the extent of "What's going on?"

"Woah.... is it almost time to get up?"

"No, it's like 3 in the morning."

"Aright... later."

I found out later they were just walking by, and they saw me and decided to do it.

EDIT-Punctuation and stuff

Edited by Mello - Benji

Getting 2nd place for the first time after sixty-something shows, and not knowing how to exit the field after retreat.

I didn't actually see that, but heard it was hilarious! San Antonio in 03, right?

No offense to anyone by the way...just thought it was pretty funny.

Well, there was that time in '78, when we were at this dump of a high school in Martin, TN. I had found a stall, with no door, in the men's bathroom, had a seat and was trying to take care of business when the entire color guard came marched passed me single-file on route to the gym ... Apparently the guard instructor decided the men's bathroom was the fastest route to the gym and nobody thought to check and see if anyone was using the facility for its intended purpose.

I would say that the situation was akward but, truthfully, at that moment I just couldn't give a ####. :worthy:

ETA: and that's a TRUE story!

Edited by DCIHasBeen

I didn't actually see that, but heard it was hilarious! San Antonio in 03, right?

No offense to anyone by the way...just thought it was pretty funny.

Im guessing it was indy. BD ended their run there in 03, and we did it in 05. 2005 was especially interesting, because all the midwest fans were psyched about PR jumping BD, and then we had to go and beat cavies and ruin their day. It was even better because they were scheduled to do the encore regardless, so as we stepped back out of the arc and marched away, a bunch of their baris were like ..' well....this is a little awkward....' :worthy:

Well, there was that time in '78, when we were at this dump of a high school in Martin, TN. I had found a stall, with no door, in the men's bathroom, had a seat and was trying to take care of business when the entire color guard came marched passed me single-file on route to the gym ... Apparently the guard instructor decided the men's bathroom was the fastest route to the gym and nobody thought to check and see if anyone was using the facility for its intended purpose.

I would say that the situation was akward but, truthfully, at that moment I just couldn't give a ####. :worthy:

ETA: and that's a TRUE story!

Ahhh....the shameless $h!tter. One of those things you would have never done before marching, but on tour, you do it without a second thought :lol:

Standing on the field with Blue Devils during encore at the Alamodome in '06.

I thought I had finally made friends in that corps...'til the scores were announced.

I vividley remember watching that moment from the stands. I also vividley remember what was the loudest, most ###### off sounding F tuning I have ever heard following that