And the 2008 champion is.....

The only corps other than the top three that has a shot of winning in '08 is Phantom. And they have an outside shot at that.

Unfortunatly this is true. And no one has played a note yet in competition. But the days of shooting up 20 places in 1 year (like 27 in he 70s) are long gone. Programs are rewarded, not performances.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunatly this is true. And no one has played a note yet in competition. But the days of shooting up 20 places in 1 year (like 27 in he 70s) are long gone. Programs are rewarded, not performances.

that's ridiculous.

I'd say with the exception of the Bluecoats this past year, the judges got it right. I think programs get rewarded because the consistently put out the best shows, not because of their name.

~>conner

Haha, the arrogance is astounding.

Not surprising coming from a Phantom fan, though.

and that kind of response coming from you...is typical.

:troll food:

I just hope for a season as competitive as last year. That was a great season.

2000Cadet, that picture in your signature is my absolute favorite part of that 2000 Cadets show. The first time i saw it was at the first Classic Countdown and my jaw dropped when they showed that moment.

Anywho, I believe that if the competition keeps getting tighter like it has since '06, the big three will get shaken up a bit. I haven't heard any clips yet, but as for some predictions:

Madison-GREAT late season push with a great show. They should be back in finals this year and hopefully they will be amazingly strong. I'm saying top 8 or 9.

Crown-will contend for a top 4 spot and will hopefully continue to rise in the coming years.

Spirit-Will move up! The past two years I think Spirit has been kinda ripped off with 12th place when I thought they were worthy of at least 9th or 10th.

Phantom-Can't wait to see them. They will finish high obviously, but how high is yet to be determined (captain obvious statement)

Well that's my two or three or four cents.

2000Cadet, that picture in your signature is my absolute favorite part of that 2000 Cadets show. The first time i saw it was at the first Classic Countdown and my jaw dropped when they showed that moment.

Great eye candy, isn't it? :smile:

I don't disagree with that. But I think Phantom's the only corps outside of the top three that has a shot at winning it all. Madison 88 and Phantom 96 are the only years in recent history that a corps has come from further than fourth to win it all the next year. And I think we can both agree that those were both pretty extraordinary, once-in-a-lifetime shows. Which I guess, you could say that the same thing could happen to a corps this year, but I honestly don't see it happening.

Edit: Sorry, 1990 Cadets. I guess that's the one anomaly.

in 1964, the kilties won coming off of an 11th place finish in 62, as well as an inactive year iin 63.

in 1972, the anaheim kingsmen won coming off of a 5th place finish in 1971.

in 1981, scv won coming off of a 7th place finish in 1980.

in 1988, scouts won coming off of a 6th place finish in 1987.

You say a bunch of wishful thinking for the most part and then you get to this.

SCV had a great season last year and peaked at the right time. Regiment also has a chance into the top 3 again, but I still think one of the trad. 3 will win again.

But, of all the corps you mention...the "any of these corps deserved to win next year" is just not in keeping with my understanding of drum corps philosophy....no corps deserves to win it...especially this far before the season. The one who deserves to win is the one who wins on the last night of the season. So obvious and took so few words.

My pick....Cavaliers.

I am sorry you misread my quote. I said, IF one of these corps deserved it, then won the championship

Meaning, if they had the best designed and best performed show, and the judges rewarded it with a championship, then the crowd would go totally wild. I didn't say any of these corps DESERVED to win. I agree the one who has the best performed/designed show on finals night should win. It would just be cool if it could be any one of these corps.

As far as the comments suggesting only Phantom could be one to be the winning corps, I would mention the fact that Phantom, SCV, Crown and Bluecoats were all within a point of each other on finals night. Any one of these corps could have beaten any one of the other corps on any given night. I think one of the interesting things from last year was that Bluecoats beat all of the top 3 corps(BD, Cadets, Cavies) at some point during the season, and yet they ended in 7th(by mere tenths of a point).

Not to rain on OP's parade, but Brian is right...only corps that I would say has a good shot outside of the "BIG 3" is Rockford. I'm not betting on them, personally...I just see it as a maroon and cream year. Cadets were hungry last year after a big drop. This year they're famished...and want the gold. Also, with a change in drill designer to a 'rookie,' I see PR needing a year to adjust, minimum. Not hatin', just sayin'. But if every Phantom designed a show with the intent of making a gold medal run, this was it! Pulling Spartacus out of the bag and doing it a la 'Faust' is almost formulaic. But I see the chances of their repeating 92 as likely as 96--it's just THAT competitive out there.

I know the argument for the whole 'competitive inertia' thing, and I'll buy it to an extent. Bluecoats tagged everybody last year, finished 7th, but realistically have a good a shot as anyone in the top 7. They start strong and finish flat, at least they have the last couple of years, so now someone just has to instill in them a finishing attitude. Once they get that in place, watch out!

Same thing with Crown and 'CI'--this corps has Donnie Van Doren, and DVD has 'his' guys in place. This group has been on the way up and had their 'coming out' party last year. Now that they're at the big party, watch out. Like I've said, we could soon have 7 corps challenging for titles annually if SCV also continues to step up, and that REALLY jazzes me up!