And the 2008 champion is.....

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in 1964, the kilties won coming off of an 11th place finish in 62, as well as an inactive year iin 63.

in 1972, the anaheim kingsmen won coming off of a 5th place finish in 1971.

in 1981, scv won coming off of a 7th place finish in 1980.

in 1988, scouts won coming off of a 6th place finish in 1987.

I get your point, and I'm not hatin', but their point was "recent history." I would say that 88 is pushing it, anything prior is ancient, relatively speaking, and even 96 is 12 years ago. 12 years ago the Cowboys still had the triplets, though they were on the way down and out, and were a Michael Irvin injury away from a legitimate shot at beating Carolina and being right back in the NFC Championship Game...where they would have been thoroughly drubbed!!

Point is, with all the talk of competitive inertia and the record of the top 3 since 1996, not to mention their showing last season, it is REALLY hard to see anyone outside of the BIG 3 winning this year. If they do, it will be a combination of 88/95 Scouts, 96 PR, 91/93 Star and 07 BD/Cadets all rolled into one--something just so totally awesome that it redefines DC all over again. With as high a level of excellence as everyone achieved last year, I just don't see that 'awesome all-time' performance happening, and if it does, it comes from the BIG 3.

Hate to be a pessimist, but really, the stats, the history and the trends all play to the favor of my argument. And there's a reason that 88 Scouts and 96 Phantom stand out--they are the statistical anomoly! Shouldn't have happened. Won't ever happen again. Until it happens the next time! :smile:

I get your point, and I'm not hatin', but their point was "recent history." I would say that 88 is pushing it, anything prior is ancient, relatively speaking, and even 96 is 12 years ago. 12 years ago the Cowboys still had the triplets, though they were on the way down and out, and were a Michael Irvin injury away from a legitimate shot at beating Carolina and being right back in the NFC Championship Game...where they would have been thoroughly drubbed!!

Point is, with all the talk of competitive inertia and the record of the top 3 since 1996, not to mention their showing last season, it is REALLY hard to see anyone outside of the BIG 3 winning this year. If they do, it will be a combination of 88/95 Scouts, 96 PR, 91/93 Star and 07 BD/Cadets all rolled into one--something just so totally awesome that it redefines DC all over again. With as high a level of excellence as everyone achieved last year, I just don't see that 'awesome all-time' performance happening, and if it does, it comes from the BIG 3.

Hate to be a pessimist, but really, the stats, the history and the trends all play to the favor of my argument. And there's a reason that 88 Scouts and 96 Phantom stand out--they are the statistical anomoly! Shouldn't have happened. Won't ever happen again. Until it happens the next time! :ninja:

I think the fact that it hasn't happened in a while only makes it more likely for it to happen... i mean think about it... statistically, there is a higher chance of a statistical anomoly happening in the course of 20 years than there is for 3 years.

Madison Scouts A great corps that had a rough season last year. It would be so cool to see them win after falling to 15th place, their lowest since the mid 70's. I think the crowd would go absolutely nuts if they were to pull out the win.

"Cinderella story.... outta nowhere"..... :ninja:

Fran

and that kind of response coming from you...is typical.

There are two reasons why someone would say what he/she said:

1. He/she truly believes it.

2. He/she is trolling for responses.

If the former, then you're not going to change his or her mind with snarky responses. In fact, you'll only add on to the already poor image he/she has of Regiment. If the latter, then you're just giving a troll exactly what they want.

Truth be told, Regiment fans/members are no more "arrogant" than any other perennial top 5 corps. The problem is, in my humble opinion, that many Regiment fans/members also carry a chip on their shoulder. Whether this chip is because of perceived slights against them by the judging community, or because of perceived slights against them by other corps' members and/or fans, it is still a dangerous combination, and is EXACTLY the reason many people see the Regiment as arrogant/snobby.

You want to fix it, start at the root. Don't let little snide comments get under your skin, don't respond to them (in case they are trolls). Dave St. Angel used to emphasize the whole "you have a very nice corps" concept as a way of dealing with all sorts of things we could not control. Substitute "opinion" with "corps" in his little phrase, and you'll smile more.

And I must say...even on the college football newsgroup I used to frequent in my youth, I never saw as many folks willing to troll as I have seen first on RAMD then on DCP. There's something about the combination of the internet and the rivalries of corps and fans that does not seem to bring out the best in people.

Just my two cents.

Yeah I truly feel Crown will Medal this year.

George Mason will break the top 4!

oh wait.....wrong sport.