Why Didn't DCI happen in CA for a second year?

Sorry I can't let this stand. This is really really poor reasoning. Umm so the Cavies can budget to go to Europe, but not the west coast? The west coast corps (and fans by the way) should bear thefinancail burden because we can budget for it and the other corps cannot? Really are you totally serious? So what , you are saying is we can budget on the west coast, but no one else can. West coast corps have to raise money JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. We have to pay high gas costs JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. Our sources of income are drying up JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. But we have to suck it up every year UNLIKE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. yeah you're right that sounds like a fair and reasonable argument. :ninja:

...not to mention, the HIGHEST gas prices in the country (aggregate).

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps a happy medium might be having finals closer to the west coast, but not all the way ON the coast.

How about Phoenix?

The city was able to host the super bowl just fine, which involved a lot more people than DCI Finals would bring in (a shame, i know).

Plus, the University of Phoenix stadium is absolutely glorious...retractable roof...the pristine grass slides outside of the actual stadium so it gets sun during the day and then slides back in at night.

0000004869.jpeg

cardsmainjs.jpg

I believe that DCI couldnt get the Phoenix regional in 07 at this stadium, so perhaps that is why this venue hasnt been considered.

I got the impression that a posting inferred that going to California this year should have been a consideration after Indy's stadium fell through. However, much of the tour would have had to be changed...after dates were already set.

Having Bloomington as a back-up involved the least amount of turning over the tour apple cart.

I got the impression that a posting inferred that going to California this year should have been a consideration after Indy's stadium fell through. However, much of the tour would have had to be changed...after dates were already set.

Having Bloomington as a back-up involved the least amount of turning over the tour apple cart.

Actually, I inferred from the OP that what he meant was that the stadium was not yet finished, and with any large construction projects there are time overruns and what not, so it was a very real possibility, and California should have had a two year run, which would then have left them with a certainty that the new stadium would be finished. But. that's my inference, not necessarily what was intended.

Perhaps a happy medium might be having finals closer to the west coast, but not all the way ON the coast.

How about Phoenix?

The city was able to host the super bowl just fine, which involved a lot more people than DCI Finals would bring in (a shame, i know).

Plus, the University of Phoenix stadium is absolutely glorious...retractable roof...the pristine grass slides outside of the actual stadium so it gets sun during the day and then slides back in at night.

0000004869.jpeg

cardsmainjs.jpg

I believe that DCI couldnt get the Phoenix regional in 07 at this stadium, so perhaps that is why this venue hasnt been considered.

Wow that's an excellent picture of that stadium. I wonder how well corps would sound in there.

Sorry I can't let this stand. This is really really poor reasoning. Umm so the Cavies can budget to go to Europe, but not the west coast? The west coast corps (and fans by the way) should bear thefinancail burden because we can budget for it and the other corps cannot? Really are you totally serious? So what , you are saying is we can budget on the west coast, but no one else can. West coast corps have to raise money JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. We have to pay high gas costs JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. Our sources of income are drying up JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. But we have to suck it up every year UNLIKE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. yeah you're right that sounds like a fair and reasonable argument. :ninja:

Everyone strarted complaining about the high cost of going to CA when it was first announced, and the assumption that many Div II/III corps wouldn't make the trip. They had two years to plan, two years to get additional fundraising in place, two years to perhaps even form co-ops with other corps to share touring expenses (which was suggested by more than one person, IIRC).

My suggestion at the time was to contact Dave Gibbs (BD), Rick Valenzuela (SCV director in 2005), Ray Mar (Mandarins), Stuart Pompel (PC), Dave Meade (Impulse director in 2005), or Sal Leone (Cascades director in 2005) to see how they do it every year. I'm betting no one bothered, content to just sit back and complain.

Kudos to Regiment for making their 5th trip west in the last 6 years. Hey, maybe someone should give Rick Valenzuela a call anyway. Seems he can move a corps east or west!

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

NM. Double post.

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Wow that's an excellent picture of that stadium. I wonder how well corps would sound in there.

Good question. Even though it has a open roof option, the way the walls curve up to meet the roof might cause some real problems acoustically.

I know they moved the BCBS Fiesta Bowl Band Championship there. Maybe someone from one of these bands who marches in a corps can tell us what it's like.

Champlin Park HS, Champlin, Minnesota

Chino HS, Chino, California

Crestwood HS, Mantua, Ohio

Fairfield HS, Fairfield, California

Gadsden City HS, Gadsden, Alabama

Hoover HS, Hoover, Alabama

Jackson HS, Massillon, Ohio

King HS, Riverside, California

Lincoln Southeast HS, Lincoln, Nebraska

Los Osos HS, Rancho Cucumonga, California

Marshalltown HS, Marshalltown, Iowa

Mountain Ridge HS, Glendale, Arizona

Normal West HS, Normal, Illinois

Park Vista HS, Lake Worth, Florida

Pickerington North HS, Pickerington, Ohio

Trabuco Hills HS, Mission Viejo, California

Vestavia Hills HS, Vestavia Hills, Alabama

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

How bout the LA Collesium? It seats 68,000 comfortably, and has a reported 92,000 for USC games.

Not too much of a possibility due to the housing/traffic/gas issues, but still a REALLY cool stadium. I wonder what drum corps would sound like in there...

coliseumtitle.jpg

Geographically, it's one of the best locations they could've picked...for certain corps. The tour is already starting quite a bit later this year than it did last year. I expect the season to keep getting smaller. And within 5 years, I doubt we'll see DCI events in Portland or Boise, either. Except for CA, DCI is pretty obviously in the process of abandoning the West, and there are plenty of healthy corps out here.

Los Angeles county has ten...TEN...corps in various stages of operation....from forming to long-term competitors:

Jr: Pacific Crest, VK, Impulse, Gold, Mystikal, Oncognito (formimg), En Garde, Yamato

Sr: SoCal Dream, Kingsmen (forming)

Name me ANY OTHER region in the WORLD that has that many independent corps within a radius of approximately 60 miles.

The only one that comes close is Concord/Santa Clara, but 5 of those 6 corps belong to 2 organizations.