Why Didn't DCI happen in CA for a second year?

I already know of a couple Open Class corps who aren't attending finals this year(including a silver medalist from last year) and a World class corps who has been relegated to a northwester tour and exhibition status.

But both corps have had long-standing financial problems. Indy isn't hurting anyone that wasn't already hurting. Geographically, it's one of the best locations they could have picked. Maybe if they tried to move it back to Orlando, somewhere far away from everywhere.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Seattle as well. The Seahawks play indoors, right? U of W is outdoors...what's it like? Temperature that far north would start to be an issue in August...burrr!

The Pacific NW has the best summer weather in the country. The average daily high in Seattle in August is 74.7 F, with an average of 1 inch of rain for the entire month. July is the same, except even drier. It'll never happen, but it would be really nice.

Geographically, it's one of the best locations they could've picked...for certain corps. The tour is already starting quite a bit later this year than it did last year. I expect the season to keep getting smaller. And within 5 years, I doubt we'll see DCI events in Portland or Boise, either. Except for CA, DCI is pretty obviously in the process of abandoning the West, and there are plenty of healthy corps out here.

I thought Seattle as well. The Seahawks play indoors, right?

No, Qwest is an outdoor stadium. I don't understand why people think its all that cold on the coast of WA...ever. It rarely gets much below freezing, and there's usually almost no snow.

And as others have said (including me on the first page) Seattle is amazing in August. But, it'll never happen.

A second year in LA or SD? REALLY?!? Is everyone forgetting the fiasco? I live in SoCal and I'm embarrassed at our handling of DCI last season... The San Diego show had NO HOUSING for more than half the corps attending... they had to move on to their LA housing and beg to be let in early! Same problems up here. Many housing sites fell through and/or many many many schools were unwilling to house a drum and bugle corps! Corps were staying up to 45 miles away from the show site... IN LA! To get from the Riverside area to Pasadena during rush hour means that you have to leave a 2 to 4 hour window to make it on time.

I'm sorry, but I think that southern California ruined ANY chance of hosting another championship while I still live and breathe.

I heard the University of Utah has a nice facility. It might be a bit hot (low 90's), but wouldn't have the humidity that we had in places like Birmingham.

http://www.stadium.utah.edu/venue_facts/stadium.html

Nancy

Yes, the west coast corps should take the "financial fall" because they've been taking it for decades. Only 6 out of 36 DCI Finals have took place west of the Mississippi (and KC and Dallas are just barely west of it), but the west coast corps are used to budgeting for more travel. Corps from the midwest, south, and east aren't used to budgeting for the travel out the other side of the country like the western corps are. Cavaliers and Scouts had budgeted for ONE west coast trip every four years, but that's it.

Sorry I can't let this stand. This is really really poor reasoning. Umm so the Cavies can budget to go to Europe, but not the west coast? The west coast corps (and fans by the way) should bear thefinancail burden because we can budget for it and the other corps cannot? Really are you totally serious? So what , you are saying is we can budget on the west coast, but no one else can. West coast corps have to raise money JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. We have to pay high gas costs JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. Our sources of income are drying up JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. But we have to suck it up every year UNLIKE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. yeah you're right that sounds like a fair and reasonable argument. :ninja:

A second year in LA or SD? REALLY?!? Is everyone forgetting the fiasco? I live in SoCal and I'm embarrassed at our handling of DCI last season... The San Diego show had NO HOUSING for more than half the corps attending... they had to move on to their LA housing and beg to be let in early! Same problems up here. Many housing sites fell through and/or many many many schools were unwilling to house a drum and bugle corps! Corps were staying up to 45 miles away from the show site... IN LA! To get from the Riverside area to Pasadena during rush hour means that you have to leave a 2 to 4 hour window to make it on time.

I'm sorry, but I think that southern California ruined ANY chance of hosting another championship while I still live and breathe.

This is actually a more valid reason for not having DCI in California again per se, but there are a lot of other fine venues on the west coast. Someone also argued what is there to do in Eugene, Or. We;; there is a lot and the ocean is not too far either. it's not like Indianapolis was ever on my top 10 or even 20 destinations I was dying to visit.

Edited by taters

The Rose Bowl was probably my least favorite Finals venue yet. I mean, it's the Rose Bowl, which is cool, but the whole noise ordinance thing kind of sucked (I mean Bluecoats going on during daytime at Finals... really?) , the box was really far away from the field, having to bus in from the warm-up sites sucked, a lot of the housing sites were in shady areas (didn't a couple of Spirit guard girls get mugged?). And there was nothing within walking distance of the Rose Bowl. The weather was nice, though.

Are you kidding me? Downtown Pasadena was well within walking distance of the Rose Bowl. I rode the metro to Memorial Park for the 3 days and walked from there. As you said great weather as well.