Why Didn't DCI happen in CA for a second year?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously! I love that stadium.

First DCI experience, we didn't make finals so got to watch the Open Class Prelims, lots of great corps, then DCI finals, and somewhere in there Casa Bonita.

Next year, made finals, did reasonably well there, then Open Class finals was awesome. I don't remember repeating Casa Bonita . . .

But both years (77 & 78) Denver was a great experience.

How bout the LA Collesium? It seats 68,000 comfortably, and has a reported 92,000 for USC games.

Not too much of a possibility due to the housing/traffic/gas issues, but still a REALLY cool stadium. I wonder what drum corps would sound like in there...

coliseumtitle.jpg

From the looks of that picture, my guess is it would sound exactly the same as it did in the Rose Bowl.

How bout the LA Collesium? It seats 68,000 comfortably, and has a reported 92,000 for USC games.

Not too much of a possibility due to the housing/traffic/gas issues, but still a REALLY cool stadium. I wonder what drum corps would sound like in there...

coliseumtitle.jpg

Uhhhhh....in central LA? No thank you!!

Yes, the west coast corps should take the "financial fall" because they've been taking it for decades. Only 6 out of 36 DCI Finals have took place west of the Mississippi (and KC and Dallas are just barely west of it), but the west coast corps are used to budgeting for more travel. Corps from the midwest, south, and east aren't used to budgeting for the travel out the other side of the country like the western corps are. Cavaliers and Scouts had budgeted for ONE west coast trip every four years, but that's it. It stinks for those west coast corps you're talking about who aren't going this year, but it's not like they didn't know that DCI Finals is generally at a Midwest, South, or East Coast location every year (until now, in which case it's at an Indiana location every year). They knew that that's how DCI rolls and it's how they've always rolled. Imagine if DCI had signed a big contract to have Finals in the new stadium in Glendale AZ every year instead of Indianapolis. Oh sure, the west coast corps would love that! But how many corps from east of the Mississippi would be able to come up with the budget to make the trip EVERY YEAR and still stay in the black? I can imagine very very few.
Agreed !

A new stadium is being proposed, to be built in the L.A. area (Irwindale), and completed by 2011 IF they can woo a pro football team. Are 75,000 seats big enough for ya?

Take a look at this place:

http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com/images

Most of you already know this but it seems a few don't. DCI World Championships will be at Lucas Oil Stadium through 2018. So any of these ideas would have to wait until 2019 or later.

Most of you already know this but it seems a few don't. DCI World Championships will be at Lucas Oil Stadium through 2018. So any of these ideas would have to wait until 2019 or later.

Except for 2014.....hmmmm....at the new LA stadium???

As for that...I'd rather have a new team than steal someone else's...St. Louis Rams, anyone?

Actually, I inferred from the OP that what he meant was that the stadium was not yet finished, and with any large construction projects there are time overruns and what not, so it was a very real possibility, and California should have had a two year run, which would then have left them with a certainty that the new stadium would be finished. But. that's my inference, not necessarily what was intended.

This was exactly my intention. When I marched, Finals was held for two years in God-forsaken Birmingham, AL. I also think that CA was long overdue for Finals and that 2 years would've satisfied most west coast fans.

Edited by scv guy