Think you had it rough

Okay guys and gals, let's have it. Tell others how rough you had when you marched. And yes this is ment to be in jest (or serious depending on your mood). :smile:

A good example is in the Aerobed topic when Steve was saying how rough it was when he marched (marched uphill both ways) and slepted (slept on rocks).

Then trumped by marching (had to shovel snow to get to our dot).

I'll start, we had it so rough we had to eat generic corn flakes, from those black & white boxes.

Edited by sburstall

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course my posts in the other thread was all in jest, but now that you've started this one, I forgot one particular hardship that we had to endure...

Our buses that we traveled on from 1981 through 1985 had no bathrooms.

Talk about brutal. Especially on those 300+ mile trips. We never stopped.

...so, you went 4 yrs. without ever using a restroom? Now THAT'S hard core!!! :smile:

I've posted this before-

We didn't have a food truck for approx 4-5 days of tour- it was stopped by the NC state police at the state line and deemed not road worthy. It took the PA senators getting involved to get our little food trailer back on the road. (this wasn't a truck like corps have now- it was a tow along trailer that was pulled behind the Suburban)

The director bought fast food out of his own money during that time. Otherwise our choices were pb&j or whatever lunchmeat they could pick up that day. Breakfast was cereal or pb&j.

Talk about a nightmare- 128 kids & staff to feed, and no place to cook or store perishable items. :smile:

The only good that came from it was that all of the staff was delayed for a number of hours at the state line with the food truck. The members got to the housing site and went swimming in the indoor pool and took naps. :smile: (and then rehearsed until 12:30am or so to make up for the unexpected free day)

...so, you went 4 yrs. without ever using a restroom? Now THAT'S hard core!!! :smile:

The Spirit buses had the little compartmented room in the back of the bus where the bathroom used to be, but it was used for storage and all the "plumbing" was disconnected. We did leave enough room for the girls to enter, close the door, use a cup, and then throw it out the window. Let's just say the driver of the bus behind didn't like the sudden "showers" he would get throughout the night. As for the guys...our buses had back doors, so we had two options...we either went to the front of the bus, the driver would push open the front door, we would step to the bottom step, and then go out the door. Or we would go to the back of the bus and crack open the door to relieve ourself.

Oh...and we had no air conditioning.

We had bathrooms, but you couldn't use them. They were deemed the pantry.

We had bathrooms, but you couldn't use them. They were deemed the pantry.

Ya, ours were a closet too, except for the horn bus. In 05, one of the vets who claimed the back seat also claimed the bathroom and turned the two into this amazing "bedroom." He was a really cool guy though...he let people hang out back there, and hooked up the entire bus with speakers and sub woofers. It was really cool!

But what's the hardest we ever had it? Three words:

Gush And Go

We didn't have a food truck for approx 4-5 days of tour- it was stopped by the NC state police at the state line and deemed not road worthy. It took the PA senators getting involved to get our little food trailer back on the road. (this wasn't a truck like corps have now- it was a tow along trailer that was pulled behind the Suburban)

Good ol' PA... One summer we had to get past the police baracades to get to our drill rehearsal site. It was on a parking lot on an island in the middle of the Susquehanna River and for a few years the one side was known as party central. My rookie year we would practice on the non-party side and once in a while a stoner would stagger over to watch.

My second year the Harrisburg cops got tired of the mess and closed the island to everyone after 6PM every day. Took a few days to get permission to practice on the island again but the cops had the entrance blocked off. Everytime we went to practice we had to show the cops manning the gates a membership card.... or a horn.... or drum... or flagpole.... *sheesh*

As with most corps back in the day, a water break was a sign of weakness. "Didn't you have a drink at home?"

Had to mark time and actually lift our feet to our knees.

Had to polish our equipment and make sure all our uniform parts were clean and free of lint and our white bucks were white and free of scuff marks - inspection.

Our motor coaches had those real little sliding windows, velour seats, not rest rooms or air conditioning and we had to push them to get them started.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

No....it was fun...really....

edit - but the worse part is...all that practice marching on parking lots and stuff? I'm paying for that now in my fifties with back, knee, and ankle pain.

No wait, maybe that's the extra weight I'm carrying around, but it couldn't have helped.

Edited by Martybucs