Think you had it rough

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One time they ran out of A1 sauce for our after show steak dinner so I had to use regular bbq sauce. And the lobster that night was really subpar.

You had it rough, how about having to serve pork one night instead of steak. Now there was a riot about to ensue.

Of course my posts in the other thread was all in jest, but now that you've started this one, I forgot one particular hardship that we had to endure...

Our buses that we traveled on from 1981 through 1985 had no bathrooms.

Talk about brutal. Especially on those 300+ mile trips. We never stopped.

I marched from 1982 - 1988 we had no bathrooms, we we had no air conditionaing, and we were lucky the windows opened (sometimes). We had a bus that had a wheel come off while driving down the highway. One that burst into flames (enging I think) while driving down the highway.

We didn't have buses.

We marched in formation at a cadence from event to event in full uniform (heavy wool).

The crotch rot was bad. So bad one could follow our route by a trail of blood.

We used to stop trucks and borrow axle grease to lube up the inner thighs.

If you lubed up too much and too high, when duty called turds would fly out at the speed of light and likely poke someone's eye out, or worse. Many died a crappy death.

We ate off the land. Raw roots, berries, road kill, etc.

And we liked it!

I think buses is going to take this "had it rough" thread hands down. :juggle:

I was in two corps that had only school buses. We took them north south east & west... bumping along the whole way... on what were some really pretty horrible trips from a transportation standpoint. Pretty horrible. When I finally got to a corps with coaches, I thought it was really a step up, even though none of them had working A/C or bathrooms. It's a good thing I was as happy as I was just being in drum corps overall, because that's what got me through those long rides sometimes.

I remember another time when half the corps was sick due to no one really washing their dishware appropriately. We brought our own knives, forks, spoons and usually our own drinking cup. They provided paper plates and napkins. You were on your own to correctly clean up your stuff. Didn't get done a lot of the time... :rock:

I think buses is going to take this "had it rough" thread hands down. :juggle:

I was in two corps that had only school buses. We took them north south east & west... bumping along the whole way... on what were some really pretty horrible trips from a transportation standpoint. Pretty horrible. When I finally got to a corps with coaches, I thought it was really a step up, even though none of them had working A/C or bathrooms. It's a good thing I was as happy as I was just being in drum corps overall, because that's what got me through those long rides sometimes.

I remember another time when half the corps was sick due to no one really washing their dishware appropriately. We brought our own knives, forks, spoons and usually our own drinking cup. They provided paper plates and napkins. You were on your own to correctly clean up your stuff. Didn't get done a lot of the time... :rock:

If this is true, and if they actually toured - I'd say this is a winner.

The bathroom (original bathrooms removed to add seats) on the boy's busses (trips in the dark found us segregated from the girls) was a funnel connected to a piece of surgical tubing "mounted" in the stairwell of the bus doors. The surgical tubing was routed to the outside of the bus. There was a shower curtain between the driver and the stairwell. Rookies were often surprised by the driver opening the door. Other drivers were often surprised by the driver opening the door.

Okay guys and gals, let's have it. Tell others how rough you had when you marched. And yes this is ment to be in jest (or serious depending on your mood). :rock:

A good example is in the Aerobed topic when Steve was saying how rough it was when he marched (marched uphill both ways) and slepted (slept on rocks).

Then trumped by marching (had to shovel snow to get to our dot).

I'll start, we had it so rough we had to eat generic corn flakes, from those black & white boxes.

I hope people don't mind a Senior Story. We, the Sunrisers did a Jets game in December. We started the show and about half the hornline didn't play because the mouth pieces were frozen to our lips. It was only about 15 degrees. The things we did to raise money.

Well even top 10 corps had bus problems!

Image-F1FF7C3686BE11D9.jpg

Mmmm...short shorts, tall socks. Sexy....