The Star of Indiana Phenomenon

another Star thread is in trouble....

Nurse: Dr. we have a code blue...this thread is dying....

Doctor: Nurse get me the paddles....CLEAR!....Cha Chonk...AGAIN ..CLEAR....ChaChonk

Fan:Oh Doctor please save this thread please don't let it die!

Doctor: ###### Fan I'm a country doctor not a miracle worker

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Nurse: Dr Call it already!...

Doctor: TOD right now

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case you didn't know: They were so bada** that Chuck Norris wears Star of Indiana pajamas.

Chuck Norris also still bench-presses Star's three tour busses several times before breakfast.

What are you talking about?

Chuck Norris WAS Star of Indiana.

Had the changes to DCI that had happened in more recent years been in place in the absolute mess of the early 90's, it could be that the Star organization might have seen a different future in the activity.

Interesting, but I do not think it would have made much difference. To the best of my understanding (and a bit of insider perspective) the 94' move to Brass Theater was all about opportunity, and not a statement about DCI. They signed with the Canadian Brass before the season was done in 93' and from what I was told, assumed that they would eventually return to competition. Brass Theater evolved, different staff and members came on board, new opportunities saw them performing sans CB in Branson and eventually creating Blast. If at any point they had run aground and lost interest in what they were doing, maybe they would have returned to the field. But as time went on that became highly unlikely. Much the pity for the activity.

But that isn't to say that it all went to waste drumcorps-wise. Former Star members and staff are extremely well represented in the ranks of the staff and management of many of the current top-12. Corps like Garfield, Bridgemen, & 27th, passed on to Star, and now Star give back to the corps of today.

I think the folks equating Star with Jim Morrison & James Dean are correct. It is about What Ifs. It is about complicated and unexplained loss. We remember the shooting Stars who burn bright and streak across the sky only to disappear into our memories.

Had the Cadets pulled the plug in 87, they had 53 years of history to talk about. I think in Star's case it's like a comet that is there, makes a big impact and then it's gone.

Good point and simile noted, thank you. I am sure on the screen that reads like sarcasm, but it is not!

I was referring to how it would affect discourse in today's DC world.

In terms of history, the date that is relevant to us is 1972. Pre-1972 is another discussion altogether.

Furthermore, if we're talking current show design, then 20 years is a stretch... history be dam'd.

Really, the question is influence, not history. The US Marine Drum and Bugle Corps has been around since the 1930's and I don't see them popping up in discussion much.

The parallel that I failed to draw clearly was that Cadets/Star were not merely maxing out the idiom, they were extending the boundaries of competitve DC.

Mid-80's Cadets changed the activity, much like early-90's Star; and had Cadets closed up shop after '87 then we would still be thanking them today for making possible Star '93 etc. and not so much for the peace sign in '71.

We still hear/speak of Star because the '93 show still forces us to pay attention even to this day.

Now, in terms of history: I would put Star with the likes of BD, Cadets, PR, and SCV as one of the more meaningful groups ever to have taken the field in the DCI arena.

... and now it's time for the ManU/Arsenal match. COYR!

At this point is seems pretty stupid to keep going on about Star of Indiana. They are gone from DCI but what they are doing now is pretty incredible. I went to see Blast last night and was blown away. It was way better than I imagined it would be (and I thought it was going to be pretty good). What an incredibly talented group of kids.

At this point is seems pretty stupid to keep going on about Star of Indiana. They are gone from DCI but what they are doing now is pretty incredible. I went to see Blast last night and was blown away. It was way better than I imagined it would be (and I thought it was going to be pretty good). What an incredibly talented group of kids.

Do they perform in New York? I'd love to go check it out.

Interesting, but I do not think it would have made much difference. To the best of my understanding (and a bit of insider perspective) the 94' move to Brass Theater was all about opportunity, and not a statement about DCI. They signed with the Canadian Brass before the season was done in 93' and from what I was told, assumed that they would eventually return to competition. Brass Theater evolved, different staff and members came on board, new opportunities saw them performing sans CB in Branson and eventually creating Blast. If at any point they had run aground and lost interest in what they were doing, maybe they would have returned to the field. But as time went on that became highly unlikely. Much the pity for the activity.

But that isn't to say that it all went to waste drumcorps-wise. Former Star members and staff are extremely well represented in the ranks of the staff and management of many of the current top-12. Corps like Garfield, Bridgemen, & 27th, passed on to Star, and now Star give back to the corps of today.

I think the folks equating Star with Jim Morrison & James Dean are correct. It is about What Ifs. It is about complicated and unexplained loss. We remember the shooting Stars who burn bright and streak across the sky only to disappear into our memories.

More good answers, Michael. Thanks for repsresentin' well.