IW FINALS

whoa - what's going on here?

Reading back to see if this needs to be closed or not...

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a class right now. I've read some of it and will read back more in a few.

not cool at all

(We are so bad at this discussion stuff sometimes!)

I think it is odd that someone who has watched Onyx all season and knows how fabulous they are would attack the staffs training program because of a rough run. To be honest, I didn't think it was a mess at all. Just not their best run. You saw them all season and you saw how good that guard is. Do you think the staff untrained them from the regional. Technique is technique, training is training. Bad runs just happen. It is spiteful to attack the performers and also the staff. Especially when the comment is completely without merit. Honestly, its just petty and childish. I really liked this thread but now it is gonna be closed down because people cant get over placements and such. I had my faves and I had my dislikes too, but I discuss them with my friends, not on a message board so the performers can read it. Its rude. And I would love to put forth a question: Does anyone else see a pattern here?

K :rock:

I haven't closed it yet but I will say this:

To have the directors from both Onyx and Zydeco both respond to this thread to personally defend their kids is really admirable. It's funny, because as I was watching World class finals in person, I was thinking that it's great that there are now 3 IW guards in the Dayton area (including Pride). I was hoping that there's not a real rivalry forming and by reading Michael and Byron's responses I sense that there isn't.

I'll speak as an instructor, not as the administrator of this forum.

A few years back my group (not known as Delazure then) performed Annie Lennox's "Why" and was subject to a firestorm on another color guard forum comparing our show to the original performed by St. Patrick's in 1993. I tried to stay out of the backlash, but became so enraged for my kids that I DID get up and defend them. I was also subject to several private responses, just as these directors seem to be.

It's easy to sit at home, watch the show online from a high cam and be negative. It's much harder (and more expensive lol) to sit in the arena and watch these performers' faces. The true professionals get back up on their horse and ride again when things go wrong. They're trained to do that, which is why recovery is mentioned on the sheets.

However, as the administrator of this forum, I'd ask that while a little cattiness is fun and keeps people interested, we think about the performers. Right now they're dealing with being exhausted and the emotion of the season that they worked so hard on ending. They're probably behind on their online reading and we now have to take responsibility for the things we've written about them.

Thanks!

I think it is odd that someone who has watched Onyx all season and knows how fabulous they are would attack the staffs training program because of a rough run. To be honest, I didn't think it was a mess at all. Just not their best run. You saw them all season and you saw how good that guard is. Do you think the staff untrained them from the regional. Technique is technique, training is training. Bad runs just happen. It is spiteful to attack the performers and also the staff. Especially when the comment is completely without merit. Honestly, its just petty and childish. I really liked this thread but now it is gonna be closed down because people cant get over placements and such. I had my faves and I had my dislikes too, but I discuss them with my friends, not on a message board so the performers can read it. Its rude. And I would love to put forth a question: Does anyone else see a pattern here?

K :rock:

So, those in an IW winter guard, who are older than 18 and even into their 30s+, can't take the opinion of someone on a message board? I understand how some people can be rude about their opinion, but I don't see how someone reading the stuff on this board would really get that peeved off. If I was a performer, I would really care less.

Seriously, it's not like people are tearing up a Scholastic A guard in their first year of competition.

But that's just my opinion...

So it's okay for you to say it about Corona?!?! Hmmmmm. . . . .interesting.

But they are and always have been!

But they are and always have been!

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but rather proving a point. . .I essentially said the same thing about a different unit and got crucified. Furthermore I got an email from said poster telling me how classless I was. . .I just think it's ironic.

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay