Quick Thoughts

Guardguy89

Hey all,

just wanted to share a couple of quick thoughts from my WGI weekend

1) The volunteers at James Trent arena were phenomenal - just really, really nice people all around on both days

2) I had never even heard of Diamente (IO) - they rock

3) Alter Ego - A big congrats. All of Sonnor really enjoyed you guys

4) Sacred Hearts flag looked like JSU's (from last year) Onyx's floor looked like San José's (from last year) and Vanguard's floor reminded me of Pride (from last year). We noticed it while watching the 2007 DVD on our 16 hour bus trip back to Montreal

5) Vanguard rocked this year.

6) Black Gold - whoah - that is one cool show (Love the Nip Tuck remix)

7) Fantasia was phenomenal

8) Why did Pride add that big blue oval on their floor? It took away from the blue material. Just seemed odd to me

9) Do the American guards using French music this year (I saw 3 of them) know what the song means???

10) Bee Movie isn't funny in French (once again 16 hour bus drive home!!!!)

11) Scholastic World was awesome this year - high schoolers can toss. Loved Avon, Carmel and Shenandoah )congrats Gretchen!!!!!!!)

12) Corona's performer's are simply fearless - they amaze me. I think I'd just break down and run away after one rehearsal there!!!!

Feel free to add your own!

Later,

Mike

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vanguard was AWESOME!!! Their equipment work was so clean, IMO they should have scored higher.

Corona has a great show but they were better/cleaner at the Power Regional in San Bernardino.

Fantasia was beautiful.

4) Sacred Hearts flag looked like JSU's (from last year) Onyx's floor looked like San José's (from last year) and Vanguard's floor reminded me of Pride (from last year). We noticed it while watching the 2007 DVD on our 16 hour bus trip back to Montreal

9) Do the American guards using French music this year (I saw 3 of them) know what the song means???

I thought they same thing about Vanguard's floor. They did have a great show this year. Love the music!

Those at Fahrenheit know what the song is about. My roommate, one of the members, translated it online one night. If I remember correctly, it is about a lost love.

My Thoughts:

1) Fantasia's show is so intense without flags. Quite amazing. Worth a 99.5? I don't exactly think so, but they did deserve the win (and a high score).

2) This being my first year following WGI for the whole season, I gotta say, Scholastic World was amazing! Makes me want to buy the Finals DVD.

3) Northeast Independent, Flanagan, Freedom HS, and Lyman HS had three of my favorite shows this year.

4) Zydeco's show did make me shed a couple tears, but only because of the sound clips at the beginning and end of the show.

5) I may not agree with the overall message of their show, but The Knights came out in Finals and performed the heck out of it. Each time I have seen them, I have liked them more and more.

6) Congrats to Fahrenheit for making WGI World Class Finals. I've had the pleasure to watch this group develop into a Finalist guard since the middle of January. Their last few performances have been amazing. Great job, guys!

And finally...

The best part of the season: Seeing my best friend go from a Class B FFCC guard her senior year of HS to two years later becoming an Independent World Class Finalist (those being the only two guards she has been a member of). It's been great to go to a bunch of shows this year and really see her grow (and watch tons of other FL guards grow throughout the season, too).

After watching the Webcast;

1. The talent of these High School guards amaze me time and time again.

2. I loved seeing coed rifle lines Those girls in SCV and NEI can spin with the best of them. Need I mention the girls in Scholastic World?

3. Fantasia was un-freaking-believable and really deserved the win but I have to say SCV was my favorite IW show and I loved The Knights as well.

4. I felt sorry that, even without Logan, Avon wasn't able to seal the deal with Gold. I wanted it for them. However Flanagan was pretty rock solid and wanted that Gold....... and they got it. But I have to say Center Grove was my favorite.

5. Small guards can get the job done. Center Grove and The Knights proved that point BIG TIME

6. What's with West Coast guards and scary weapon tricks? Fantasia and Corona both are doing that 80's Cavalier thing, with the weapon work most likely to get you killed.

My favorite moments from the weekend were:

(besides seeing so many friends!)

1. My kids' performance in IA Semis. After that, it was like whatever happens, happens!

2. Seeing Alter Ego win - so proud of those guys!

3. Seeing West Orange get the bronze!

3. The sabre catch in the back left hand corner in Santa Clara's show (the one where the girl hugged the guy and he caught it). That catch was so solid and loud my Mom heard it back in New Jersey!

4. Pride's flag feature

5. The last flag toss in Northmont's show

6. The shots at headquarters!

1) Congrats to all Texas guards who made finals and represented well.

2) Warren Central has an amazing show my favorite in SW

3) SCV proves the pretty show doesn't have to be boring.

4) The Knights, thank you for a world class flag book, we don't see enough flag anymore.

5) Onyx, every year I like the guard more and more.

6) Black Gold, they can't do wrong, they get better every year and more mature every year with performance.

They are a far cry from 2004!

Okay here goes!!

Flanagan, Flanagan!!! Wow what a wonderful show! Loved the rifle toss across the floor!! And the ending flag feature, incredilble!!! :wow::ninja:

SCV!! one of my favorite shows, love is beautiful!! :ninja:

NEI great show!!!

Fantasia has always in mind been a weapons guard, since they usually in their show spend a good portion of it on weapons!! Loved the catch between the legs!!

Pride is always wonderful

Center Grove a delight...proves you don't have to be loud and boisterous to do well.....nice to see them back with a medal!!

Miamisburg rocked! Great sabre work!

Loved the beauty of Zydeco!

I also loved Croatan and In Motion, small guards that moved and performed wonderfully!! I wish both had made finals!! :worthy:

performers in all classes were wonderful and they are achieving amazing levels of skills and excellence. :blush:

much like shows about color time has run out for shows about time. :blush:

loud breathing and exagerated exhaling is ridiculously silly and must stop now! :smile:

please,no more overzealous staff members making unseemly loud outbursts during their teams performance. :tongue:

Edited by dugg

Funny thing overheard during IA finals......

A friend found me to tell me that he overheard folks talking during our finals run that we shouldn't be allowed to compete in Independent A because we "stole" the color guard program from Northgate High School. Apparently, they felt we took kids from a high school program to create our independent unit and that we were breaking a WGI policy in doing so.

I actually have it on pretty good authority that the band director is just fine with our program using kids from Northgate High School......since he's my husband!! We've both been at the school since the day the doors opened in 1996. I still teach the high school program, started a 2nd guard program with our younger kids this year, and also teach math at the high school every day. We actually changed the program to Independent in 2005 to help out kids from another school in our county and allow them to participate when their winter guard was dissolved. We did find it sort of funny........I mean, how do you steal from yourself? :blush:

In a week of fun, great shows and more wonderful memories than I can count, I guess there are still some folks out there who need to stir up a little drama wherever they can. Sorry guys.......it won't work this time! All's well in Northgate land! :tongue:

Je parle français. N'ai jamais compris chanson française.

2) I had never even heard of Diamente (IO) - they rock

¡Viva las gran DIAMANTEs! DIAMANTE era mi favorito rendimiento de la noche.

Edited by wtxcg