"I didn't march my age-out because..."

One of the rock bands I was in at college got signed to a record deal which was later picked up by one of the largest major labels in the industry. So my age out year was spent recording and then touring while still finishing my degree. I don’t regret a thing, I loved the debauchery, at least what I can remember of it.

My seat buddy in 94 was a rap artist in a group that had done a record. He was taking a break and spending some of his money to march corps. Amazing. Take a break and go march corps. Geez--go sit on a beach somewhere, right? Great guy. Little bitty skinny contra player. Weighed about 120 lbs soaking wet. Taking a break from rap to go march contra. A break!

Your story just reminded me of him. Any of you 94 guys remember the dude's name? Asian guy.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My seat buddy in 94 was a rap artist in a group that had done a record. He was taking a break and spending some of his money to march corps. Amazing. Take a break and go march corps. Geez--go sit on a beach somewhere, right? Great guy. Little bitty skinny contra player. Weighed about 120 lbs soaking wet. Taking a break from rap to go march contra. A break!

Your story just reminded me of him. Any of you 94 guys remember the dude's name? Asian guy.

PERFECT ending. i don't doubt that it's true, but... that's a great freaking punchline.

I only got to march 1 year due to money issues. I went to 3 camps the next season but the airfare was killing me. I'm glad I got that 1 season, but (considering how things ended up) would have loved to have marched my age-out year.

SCV Mello '98

I became the father of a beautiful girl who will audition at the corps which I marched next season.

Absolutely no regrets!

Love you Courtney! Daddy is proud!

:smile:

Edited by Tone Quality Matters

"Not March the "Age-Out" Season":

Actually, I "Almost" didn't march my "Age out" (Really "Over-Age-Out") year (1968) but one of the two surviving junior corps in our town was hurting for "Flags", so they took me. I would have rather marched my "Horn" (and they were hurting there also) but the prevailing "Logic" of that time kept females out of the hornline.

I ended up with that "Last Season" of drum corps, for which I will always be grateful. :thumbup:

No regrets.

Elphaba

I became the father of a beautiful girl who will audition at the corps which I marched next season.

Absolutely no regrets!

Love you Courtney! Daddy is proud!

:thumbup:

On three guys, go "awwwwwwwww"

=]

Jin?

lol

jin.jpg

After six years marching in Cadets I had three more to go. I decided to take one year off. Everyone I started marching with aged out or had stopped marching. I enjoyed that year off but couldn't wait to get back. Well I ended up getting married the week of spring training. and since there wasn't any space on the staff for my husband I decided not to march for another year. I hoped to march my age out year but then again I had a better excuse not too. My oldest daughter was born May 11th of that year. So needless to say I was a little busy that summer. I can't say I regret it because I love being a mom but I sure wished I could of marched those three years!

Wow. Six years? I wish I had marched Cadets for six years. What years did you march?

I blew my knee out at the April Camp with SCV in '05. Proably happened for a reason because my back wouldnt have survived the euph!

Glad I went for it and "spit" happens

Regret: Missed my last 2 years and a ring with Star because I was stupid enough to get married. (To the wrong guy...divorced 3 years later. :blink: )

No Regret: Went back to college by enrolling in summer school in 91 and completed my degree.

Things happen for a reason I suppose. I ended my drum corps career with a great hornline.