Update on Bluecoats 2008 show

I'm OK with amplified vocals that are part of the music and built around the music, as Crown's were. In an ideal situation there would be no amplified vocals, and I think they in every single case detract from the possible quality of the show, but I can deal with the ones that Crown used. Bluecoats', I thought, was a bit too much, too frequent, was included as a separate element, and was used not with the music but over periods in which the corps was not playing. The fact that there is a specified role of "announcer" for the 2008 show leads me to believe that this "announcing" will play a major role throughout the show, essentially "setting up" different elements, which I simply have no desire to see. It's as simple as that. I don't understand why people are so turned off to this concept. If, however, I purchase an APD of the show at the beginning of the season and see that the vocals are appropriately used, then I stand corrected and will begin to embrace the show.

Now this, I actually dont get. As I defended earlier, having the opinion is fine, but your justification for accepting crown's and rejecting bloo's seem a little weak. Other than the fact that the bluecoats had maybe 20-30 seconds more narration than crown did, I see very little difference. Both corps made their narration 'a part of the music', and both corps integrated it fairly well. If you look at the beatboxing, and several other instances, bloo narrated over music. In several other cases, they narrated over pit playing, or key guard work (drop your weapons). In Crowns case, the first words pretty much stood on their own, then there was music after that that fit the vocals. As was the case with the Bluecoats show, these words interacted with the music, and what was happening on the field. It was only about 20 seconds (im sure you could give me the exact time), but I dont really see how you can justify Crown's vocals as more 'appropriate than Bloo's. I think people would maybe respect your opinion more if you just said you didnt mind crowns vocals because there werent as many, and you just plain liked them better, instead of trying to justify causality where there is none...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I should clarify. There are many types of show designs in which I am interested, and then there are many in which I am not. At the current point the 2008 Bluecoats show falls into the latter category. It's like soccer; I am not interested in it, and choose not to view. And like the show designs in which I am not interested, I have tried to enjoy soccer in the past, but did not. Got that, Butch?

Maybe you can make Butch, as well as all of us, happy by admitting that you can't make a call like this before the show is performed....

If, however, I purchase an APD of the show at the beginning of the season and see that the vocals are appropriately used, then I stand corrected and will begin to embrace the show.

This sentence is all you needed to say. You are now admitting that if the show is done well, you will like it, and if the show is done poorly, you won't like it. Duh, same as every show in the history of drum corps, with or without vocals. However, the first thing you did was state as a fact that you don't like the show and that you are completely writing it off even though you haven't seen it. That is why some people are jumping down your throat. Not too hard to understand.

I'm OK with amplified vocals that are part of the music and built around the music, as Crown's were. In an ideal situation there would be no amplified vocals, and I think they in every single case detract from the possible quality of the show, but I can deal with the ones that Crown used. Bluecoats', I thought, was a bit too much, too frequent, was included as a separate element, and was used not with the music but over periods in which the corps was not playing. The fact that there is a specified role of "announcer" for the 2008 show leads me to believe that this "announcing" will play a major role throughout the show, essentially "setting up" different elements, which I simply have no desire to see. It's as simple as that. I don't understand why people are so turned off to this concept. If, however, I purchase an APD of the show at the beginning of the season and see that the vocals are appropriately used, then I stand corrected and will begin to embrace the show.

This argument makes no sense to me.

This argument makes no sense to me.

It makes perfect sense to me in two ways.

1. Hrothgar, by his own admission, is capable of liking shows with narration...

and therefore

2. ...Hrothgar is not nearly as anti-narration as he is so desperate to make everyone think he is. It's just fun to rile everyone up isn't it? :smile:

It makes perfect sense to me in two ways.

1. Hrothgar, by his own admission, is capable of liking shows with narration...

and therefore

2. ...Hrothgar is not nearly as anti-narration as he is so desperate to make everyone think he is. It's just fun to rile everyone up isn't it? :smile:

There's only one show with narration I like: Crown 2007. Part of that is based on the fact that I saw it so many times BEFORE they added the narration, so I came to love the show immediately. I remember in June thinking that what I was seeing and hearing was better than anything in drum corps I had experienced before. After that, there was no way I was going to change my opinion on the show. Combine that with the fact that I thought they used it in a tasteful, musical manner, that contributed in sound rather than content. I love the abstraction that music provides, the fact that it has no real meaning other than the one you give it, and narration sort of breaks that down completely. However, to this day I still wish they hadn't decided to include it, but if they had to, I think that was the best way.

Other than that, narration is a pretty clear indicator of whether or not the show is something in which I am interested or something in which I am not. I am not interested in seeing shows like Boston Crusaders 2004, Blue Devils 2005, Blue Stars 2006, or Cadets 2007. I fail to see that Bluecoats 2008 will use narration differently, in a musical way or sparingly, and the fact that there is a specific role for an announcer leads me to believe that it will be used throughout the show. I will still check out the APD to see if it is something that holds my interest, but I don't think the chances of that are very high. I'm not really excited about this show as I am with, say, Phantom Regiment or Santa Clara Vanguard, who will stay within the auditory limitations I have come to expect from drum corps.

can we get back on topic...

A request for topicality... OH NOESS!!.....

I can't wait to read what delightfully cliche boxing metaphors dci reporters and such use to describe this show.

It's a real knockout. :tongue:

It'll knock you senseless :smile:

That hornline packs a whale of a punch :smile:

That colorguard floated like butterflies and stung like bees :thumbup: