Depressing, I know. Oil prices and DCI. The end of our sport?

For now, donate more gas money and pray for prices to go down by next summer (or earlier). :ph34r:

Being more serious though, I have a feeling gas prices will get to point where the consumer will stop buying as much gas. It will eventually get lower. I don't know about it getting to $5, but I can definitely see it getting to $4 this summer (for unleaded... It's already at $4 for diesel).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 1980s, soaring insurance rates were going to kill drum corps.

In the 1990s...well, see the 1980s.

I trust that we'll figure a way to work through the economy. (A point of reference: The first time I went to China a couple years ago, I could get over 800 Yuan for $100. Just today, it slipped under 700 in the exchange rates.

And for the record, I'm in favor of barring holes. :)

I trust so too. Because if we don't, we won't. But the number of corps has never been lower, so corps need to travel from further distances to round out show schedules. Which costs more. The earlier post that said more regional shows with more local corps. And perhaps the degeree of complexity, or sophistcation, or something along those lines will dip a bit. But still it will be entertaining. And the corps that have the resources can and should do the big tour. The current paradigm cannot continue indefinitly, IMHO.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

Drum corps died when they added electronics. Who cares?

Maybe not - less pit equipment to haul around - all can be done on 1-2 keyboards. Same w/ brass - heck amp 12 or so horns. heck - might be able to get by w/ 1 bus and panel truck.

I guess DCI has planned for the future after all.

Maybe not - less pit equipment to haul around - all can be done on 1-2 keyboards. Same w/ brass - heck amp 12 or so horns. heck - might be able to get by w/ 1 bus and panel truck.

I guess DCI has planned for the future after all.

:ph34r:

Now this may sound off the wall, but seriously... all corps buses and trucks are diesel, right? Now, unlike ethanol based gasolines, BIOdiesel is a direct replacement with no adverse (read: power loss or gunk) effects on the engine. The best part? You can make your own. It takes time... a lot of time to make not a lot, but seriously, you could conceivably make enough in the off season to run a bus all summer... :ph34r::worthy: :worthy:

Or maybe I'm just crazy. :worthy:

Now this may sound off the wall, but seriously... all corps buses and trucks are diesel, right? Now, unlike ethanol based gasolines, BIOdiesel is a direct replacement with no adverse (read: power loss or gunk) effects on the engine. The best part? You can make your own. It takes time... a lot of time to make not a lot, but seriously, you could conceivably make enough in the off season to run a bus all summer... :ph34r::worthy: :worthy:

Yea. I like that idea. Maybe DCI/individual corps could do a HUGE used veg-oil fund raiser every year and get THOUSANDS of restaurants to donate. That'd be ballin.

We certianly harvest the energy that would otherwise be wasted using such options as biodiesel. But it is not the long-term solution. It is impossible to get more energy out of a system than was put into a system - that is a fundamental law of thermodynamics.

Is it (late)June yet?

But the number of corps has never been lower, so corps need to travel from further distances to round out show schedules. Which costs more. The earlier post that said more regional shows with more local corps.

That's what helped to kill a lot of local corps in the 70s. The local corps couldn't afford to go further distances to get the the "near by" shows. Higher gas prices also added to the expense. On top of that local shows had to raise the ticket prices so the attending corps could meet expenses. As the tickets got more expensive less people showed up and groups like service groups that held corps shows as fund raisers stopped doing it. Which restarted the vicious cycle as another nearby show bit the dust.