MAPEX

I saw that both Surf and Teal are marching Mapex Drums this summer.....

I've seen these drums a few times over the winter and was not overly impressed, has anyone else used or seen these yet?

Academy's on them as well...I suspect they improved them for a Div 1 corps....same for the Jupiter brass, which Academy is also using.

Yes very tru and reportedly there are at least 4 models in the line with totally different characteristics from an almost Pearl sound to the fullness of a Yamaha, so yeah what you heard last year (winter) was not the full production model of what will be on the field.....keep your eyes and ears open lol...

Edited by topper

Yes very tru and reportedly there are at least 4 models in the line with totally different characteristics from an almost Pearl sound to the fullness of a Yamaha, so yeah what you heard last year (winter) was not the full production model of what will be on the field.....keep your eyes and ears open lol...

That's actually a good marketing idea...the sounds of established drums without the higher cost?

From what I've heard, Academy really likes them so far.

Then again BD really likes Dynasty...and I still don't get it! I did not have a good experience with Dynasty at all, have you ever seen a Yamaha or Pearl batter side snare drum rim snap in half...me either, but Dynasty...8 in one summer!

I have a feeling that Mapex are going to be great for those lines that get new drums ever year, not your average HS line that gets new drums every 10 years

Then again BD really likes Dynasty...and I still don't get it! I did not have a good experience with Dynasty at all, have you ever seen a Yamaha or Pearl batter side snare drum rim snap in half...me either, but Dynasty...8 in one summer!

I have a feeling that Mapex are going to be great for those lines that get new drums ever year, not your average HS line that gets new drums every 10 years

Wow you need to teach your line how treat a drum.

Wow you need to teach your line how treat a drum.

Maybe he does, but a whole snare rim snapping in half is pretty extreme. Anyways, I haven't seen the Mapex drums in person yet, but from the pictures and descriptions they look and sound like a solid design. Plus the guys that like them at Academy are all old SCV guys, who have played Pearl for years, and therefore we can assume they are saying that in comparison to Pearls.

I had a Yamaha snare side rim crack for no apparent reason. Defects happen, but 8 in one season? Wow. Those rims should be able to handle some uneven tuning and rough handling.