Finals 1995: The best night in history?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll agree that it was a great year, and the shows that night must have been incredible, but in terms of "the best [finals] night in history" I'd say no.

I can only imagine the intensity in 1989, or the excitement from the first time anyone heard "We have a tie for first." And I can't even imagine how people felt hearing Santa Clara in 3rd in 83 or Star in 3rd in 92.

Just my $.02

Finals in 1995 was a great night of drum corps, but one thing to keep in mind is that this was the first year the season was shortened by a week. It was noticable in the quality of the performances that night. The top corps were still executing at extremely high levels, but there was a noticiable difference in execution as you moved down the ladder. I took a couple of years for corps to make up for the loss of the week down the ranks. 1984 still holds the number one spot for me (though 2006 and 1991 are close behind). The top 3 in 1984 were oh so close,a nd the top 12 was just unbelieably good in terms of entertainment, emotion, and execution.

I'd prefer to experience Phantom Regiment throwing it down on Finals week 1996 and winning their ring.

I'd prefer to experience Phantom Regiment throwing it down on Finals week 1996 and winning their ring.

I will never forget watching that encore performance. Ever.

I can only imagine the intensity in 1989, or the excitement from the first time anyone heard "We have a tie for first." And I can't even imagine how people felt hearing Santa Clara in 3rd in 83 or Star in 3rd in 92.

I wish I could have been there in '88.

As far as shows go, I agree that '95 had great shows and if I had to travel back in time to one finals night, that might be it. BD had a fun show that year also. I would have to make a tough choice between 1995 and 1980... Madison's Malaguena and Ice Castles and Spirit's Georgia and Let it Be Me... in one night!?!?!? :tongue::tongue::tongue: Not to mention SCV playing Procession of Nobles, Crossmen Spanish Fantasy and Jack Miraculous, Northstar with Land of Make Believe and Ole... crap! THAT must have been amazing.

I will never forget Phantom walking on the field for Semi's in 1996. After a somewhat flat run in quarterfinals you could feel the intensity and emotion coming from the corps as the walked on the field before ever playing a note. I new at that very instant that they were going to give BD a run for the title.

Um...

Cavaliers: the planets

Cadets: the WWII show

Scouts: The "oh my god, i can't hear the show cause the crowd is flipping a sh#$

Crown: 1st year in finals

...and many more.

the best night ever???

thoughts?

That was a great year. I've only been to finals from 92-98, and I think 92 was probably my favorite (the entire Top 7 was amazing) with 95 a close second. In 1995 I went to more shows than any other year since I've been a drum corps fan (1990), and it was a great year/finals night for drum corps.

I will never forget Phantom walking on the field for Semi's in 1996. After a somewhat flat run in quarterfinals you could feel the intensity and emotion coming from the corps as the walked on the field before ever playing a note. I new at that very instant that they were going to give BD a run for the title.

Not that it's really THAT related, but something you reminded me of....I'm not sure if anyone else has done this, but something I like to show people in terms of GE and really just the magic of drum corps is Phantom in 03. What you said above is how I feel about their 03 finals night show too.

If you have the ability, watch the quarter finals run of Phantom 03, and then immediately watch the finals run (yes I've done this and yes I'm a nerd). The quarters fun is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but it's just a fantastic show and nothing more. Two nights later, on finals night, it was the exact same show in every sense, but there's something different...something that can't be described or even acknowledged, but it's definitely there and can be seen in the first ten seconds of the show. It is the definition of "turning it on for finals night" and it exemplifies, to me, that amazing feeling you get when you are absolutely in the moment, rocking out the best performance ever.

Finals 03 would be a night I would have loved to have been a part of!

Even in DCA 1995 was a GREAT year for drum corps. Definitely my favorite.