Going after judges

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m with John. His experiences pretty much parallel mine. But a couple of elaborations:

- We would yell at a judge when he was about to be creamed, but only if we liked him.

- Our two soprano soloists were “floaters”, for most of the drill they floated outside the main corps formation. They would often use their freedom to chase a judge away from a troublesome section or to watch over his shoulder. Occasionally, they would comment on the judge’s work, as long as the M&M or timing judges weren’t around; they could hit you for talking in the ranks.

Yeah, there were some corps that were ######## about this kind of thing back in the day. They thought it was cool to try and take a judge down.

In my corps, we were advised to try not to hit the judge if possible ... Giving him a nudge out of the way if they didn't see us coming.

I DID say that I was facing backfield, and that it was a snap turn, right? I didn't even know he was there! Just "CLANG!" and a judge is down.

i think people like you are the reason bandos like me aren't judged on the field...in my circuit, at least. We get all old school drum corps guys to judge us, and they sit safe and sound n the press box. I guess they know how it is.

Yeah, there were some corps that were ######## about this kind of thing back in the day. They thought it was cool to try and take a judge down.

In my corps, we were advised to try not to hit the judge if possible ... Giving him a nudge out of the way if they didn't see us coming.

The best time to get a judge - not that I would want to crush the very fragile bell of my beautiful Olds Mellophone - is during the first or second show of the season. Especially back before there were scatter drills and the like. But I think it was in 1972 we had an 8 man rifle section who used to toss their equipment to each other as part of the show. Judges would be hopping around like fleas in a frying pan.

We were also warned off targeting a judge. We were under the tick rule and there's nothing like the retribution of an extra dozen of those things.

Puppet

This is a very good topic. We were also warned to not take out a judge. And we never went out of our way to take out a judge. Yet everyone knew the judges were fare game. To 13-15 year olds it was a game to us. We wanted to take out a judge. But I am proud to say 30+ years later,that no one in my section ever took out a judge. I do know people who have knocked over a judge and never with malice in their heart. It just happened. And of course as the person was trying to get back in step at least 3 or 4 extra tics found there way on the sheets. LOL LOL

If there are any past or present judges who may be reading this I would like very much if you would share your on field stories with us all. I know you all take a lot of crap from different people. But the fact is someone has to do it. You have nothing but respect from me.

Back in the day there were a lot more snap turns and flanks, and thus more chances to catch an unwary judge. This is especially true if they put their heads down to write on their sheets.

We never warned them. In fact, if you tried to warn them you could get a penalty for talking on the field.

Our color guard captain floated around - with a sabre. She was often tasked with chasing away pesky drum judges just before the snares started playing a difficult lick.

Edited by wsssb

The best time to get a judge - not that I would want to crush the very fragile bell of my beautiful Olds Mellophone - is during the first or second show of the season. Especially back before there were scatter drills and the like. But I think it was in 1972 we had an 8 man rifle section who used to toss their equipment to each other as part of the show. Judges would be hopping around like fleas in a frying pan.

We were also warned off targeting a judge. We were under the tick rule and there's nothing like the retribution of an extra dozen of those things.

Puppet

I totally nailed "Baby John" Chalmers (sp?) in the back with a bass drum in '73 ... Total accident, and I don't think he took it personally (Not sure if he even felt it ... the man was built like a mountain. :tongue: )

In 83, during our Superman opener, There a soft part of the corps facing backfield, then a snap turn for a push. I clouted a judge with my french horn at one of the shows. Knocked him flat. As I marched away, I asked if he was okay.

A friend of mine did that in 83 also....in Freelancers....with a K-90 contra! OUCH!