Finals Tickets: $125/ea.

You might be surprised to find out that some hotels you would expect to be expensive are cheaper than other hotels because of the bulk discount DCI can negotiate. And "negotiate" is a good word to remember, as DCI doesn't go anywhere without negotiating rates.

Why did DCI have to book in a place like the Adams Mark in Denver? Couldn't they find a nice Marriott or Hampton Inn? These less swanky hotel chains have convention facilities too.

As for wining and dining the sponsors, I've been at those parties. Whoopee!!! Some cheese, more crackers, pretzels, pop, a few veggies... Yup, real living large. Why isn't it more of a feast? I'm not speaking for DCI because I've never asked, but I'm guessing the sponsors want to see their money going to the activity and not their own entertainment. Just a hunch.

I spoke to someone while waiting in line in Denver to order tickets for Foxboro who owns two supermarkets and was one of the sponsors for a local DCI show. He told me that a lot of sponsors (Not all) "do" expect nice perks for their sponsorship. They want a personal ROI.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you the hotel in Glendale that I had to park about two blocks away and I kept track of where I was on the street by the number of gang signs painted on the sidewalk. I am NOT making that up.

Thats not good at all.........

Why did DCI have to book in a place like the Adams Mark in Denver? Couldn't they find a nice Marriott or Hampton Inn? These less swanky hotel chains have convention facilities too.

I spoke to someone while waiting in line in Denver to order tickets for Foxboro who owns two supermarkets and was one of the sponsors for a local DCI show. He told me that a lot of sponsors (Not all) "do" expect nice perks for their sponsorship. They want a personal ROI.

As I mentioned before, DCI goes where it can get great rates and those rates are negotiated for the amount of rooms DCI needs, plus the Adams Mark was a great place for the I&E contest. Believe it or not, sometimes one can get better rates at a better hotel than at a lesser one.

Sponsors may well enjoy nice perks, but that doesn't mean they expect champagne and caviar.

I have not seen DCI just fritter away money. I have a lot of respect for the people that have to do all the logistics. I've seen them do amazing things with relatively little, and the end result still looks sharp and professional. That's why DCI hires people who can put forth a professional face on the organization.

But I realize it might be silly to offer my opinion to someone who may have already made up their mind.

This is interesting. What's even more interesting is that DCI's coverage of the Winter conference featured all kinds of views (Pictures) of the hotel/resort itself. Why would anyone seek out this hotel with all of the pubic ally posted comments like you have quoted....which basically describes a dump......

Most people don't check out TripAdvisor or dig that deep when checking out a hotel. It's look at the hotel or chains website or someplace like AAA. The TripAdvisor comments are public but more or less buried in the web.

Happened to my wife and I when we wanted to go to NY for a few days. Freakin' AAA had the place drescribed pretty nice but we googled looking for something else. Happen to hit something like TripAdvisor (forget the name) which blasted the place. Line I remember is "is you like looking at bare wires hanging out of the ceiling". :blink: We ended up changing our plans.

wow...that's less than DCA charges for that ticket according to some on this thread.

Tom,

The other person was wrong. In fact, their post hinted that they were working from memory and might not have it right.

I have four such tickets; exactly as described at exactly that price. (Full disclosure – I may have paid a shipping and handling charge; I can’t remember and I don’t have access to the credit card information from my current location.)

But what is the point of your post? However you look at it, DCA championship tickets are less than DCI championship tickets. $55 per ticket for the DCA championship is a good value to me. $125 for the DCI championship is not. Obviously, since DCI fills the stadium, others have a different opinion. Others will also pay $200 for a Police concert while I won’t. It’s all a matter of perceived value.

Again, what is the point of your post?

The other person was wrong. In fact, their post hinted that they were working from memory and might not have it right.

Yep, that was me. I gave last years prices from memory and I wasn't even the one who bought the tickets from DCA. Member of our corps bought them as a group and I gave him a check for the full amount. So only time I saw 2007 prices was when I was handed the tickets at Rochester. I was thinking it was $65 for best seats for Finals but I'm 50 and... my... memory.... what the Hades are we talking about again? :blink:

2008 prices I got from dcacorps.org few days ago.

And as Oz said it all depends what it's worth to you. If the things I don't like in DCI (amps/vocals) would go away I'd consider a road trip and pay for a non-top price seat. With all due respect (and it's a lot of respect) to members if DCI would be close I'd pay for just the Open Class corps as they hold my interest better today. Of course with my Senior corps background and friends, driving 6 hours and paying for a high class hotel (better than what we usually stay at) is more than worth the price for my wife and myself. again it's all personal preference.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

$55 per ticket for the DCA championship is a good value to me. $125 for the DCI championship is not. Obviously, since DCI fills the stadium, others have a different opinion.

Absolutely the key to the entire thread, IMO.

Tom,

I have four such tickets; exactly as described at exactly that price. (Full disclosure – I may have paid a shipping and handling charge; I can’t remember and I don’t have access to the credit card information from my current location.)

But what is the point of your post? However you look at it, DCA championship tickets are less than DCI championship tickets. $55 per ticket for the DCA championship is a good value to me. $125 for the DCI championship is not. Obviously, since DCI fills the stadium, others have a different opinion. Others will also pay $200 for a Police concert while I won’t. It’s all a matter of perceived value.

Again, what is the point of your post?

you get what you pay for perhaps?

So DCA Prelims is better than DCI Open Class Finals then?

Gee Tom thought you liked Open Class :blink:

Or are we comparing the worth of a week in Bloomie vs a long weekend in Rochester? :blink:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari