Fan Scoring

Lost in this discussion are musical moments equally as awe-inspiring but way more subtle. I'm talking about moments that make a crowd hush, because they know the subtlety is there, and they're trying to understand it, feel it. (and morons insist on yelling)

Personally, I'm way more impressed by corps who consistently strive to achieve such moments (SCV, PR, Bloo, Glassmen).

How, fine souls of DCP, would you expect to measure "Fan scoring" under such circumstances? How would you define this for a piece like CLair de Lune, or Grover's Corners, which are 100% sold (and lost!) on their subtleties? (Ya, ya, I know, if ya had your way, corps wouldn't even try such drivel....)

Signed,

Dead set against any fan-related involvent in real outcomes, but totally cool with "Popular Booby Prizes" based on fan-favorite surveys.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost in this discussion are musical moments equally as awe-inspiring but way more subtle. I'm talking about moments that make a crowd hush, because they know the subtlety is there, and they're trying to understand it, feel it. (and morons insist on yelling)

Personally, I'm way more impressed by corps who consistently strive to achieve such moments (SCV, PR, Bloo, Glassmen).

How, fine souls of DCP, would you expect to measure "Fan scoring" under such circumstances? How would you define this for a piece like CLair de Lune, or Grover's Corners, which are 100% sold (and lost!) on their subtleties? (Ya, ya, I know, if ya had your way, corps wouldn't even try such drivel....)

Signed,

Dead set against any fan-related involvent in real outcomes, but totally cool with "Popular Booby Prizes" based on fan-favorite surveys.

Yup...agree with the above 100%.

Another problem with fan scoring -- alluded to by others -- is that the corps with the most fans in the audience on any particular night could wind up the winner, regardless of the quality of their performance. Do we really want to turn drum corps judging into American Idol?

Another problem with fan scoring -- alluded to by others -- is that the corps with the most fans in the audience on any particular night could wind up the winner, regardless of the quality of their performance. Do we really want to turn drum corps judging into American Idol?

i very much doubt that any given corps would have THAT many more straight homers in any given crowd.

i think part (or all?) of ge should essentially be an applause/boo-ometer. i honestly don't get the ge caption, or it's implementation, as it stands.

i very much doubt that any given corps would have THAT many more straight homers in any given crowd.

i think part (or all?) of ge should essentially be an applause/boo-ometer. i honestly don't get the ge caption, or it's implementation, as it stands.

But they aren't booing....they are BLOOOOO-ing!

haha...i had to :smile:

Haha, go to the Murfreesboro show and you'll find out the answer. Every year it feels like a Cavaliers home show. They have gotten the loudest ovation every year I've been there. And if they don't win the show you will hear a lot of booing. Maybe not so much from the 40's in, but rather the 40's out. Those high school kids just go crazy for them.

... whereas today's fans have grown with the activity, and are thus more educated concerning the "finer points" of the audio/visual pageantry they are going to see?

The fans probably are more educated. Even more certain is the pageantry itself has more finer points than before. The judges tend to judge those along with all the rest. A portion of the fans either don't or would rather not. That's the disconnect.

Giving fans a vote would either stagnate or splinter the activity, neither of which would ultimately be good.

HH

Well, at quarters in 2008, I thought that Crown really had the crowd eating out of their hand,but Bluecoats, I just felt you weren't putting forth the effort to make it into the top 3. What? Oh, I thought you had already performed those shows. This is hard.

I think it finally showed that American Idol was rigged, as I have known for the last 6 seasons. But to some degree, DCI is rigged as well. You can't tell me the judges don't know approximately what placement they are going to give each corps, and what kind of score they are going to give, even prior to seeing the show.

I think if the fans were the judge in GE, I think some years, it may have changed the outcome a little. 07 I don't think it really would have changed, except maybe SCV, Bluecoats, and Crown may have been very close to the level of Cadets, BD and Cavies in the GE department. However in all technical aspects of the performance, they still would have been in the same placement range.

I think 95 may have been a change, as all 3 of the top corps had amazing performances and I think Cadets and BD may have had more GE than Cavies, although I asbsolutely loved the Cavies show that year.

93, which is discussed alot, I really don't think it would have affected the placement. I love both the Cadets and Star shows. I think it could have gone either way. As far as the tie years, I thought BD had the fan vote in 96, I think SCV had the fan vote in 99, and I thought Cavies had the fan vote 2000, although that one would be very very close.

Other controversial years would be 89, with SCV absolutely overwhelming the crowd with an amazing performance. I don't think there is any doubt the fans were for SCV all the way that year.

06 was completely Cavaliers, 94 was completely BD, 98 belonged to Cadets, I don't think there was any doubt that they were crowd favorites in the GE dept any of those years.

So of the last 25 years or so, I can maybe see that a fan vote in GE may have changed the top placement result maybe once or twice, and probably switched a few lower placing corps.

Well, Nick, I agree about the aspect of winning even when some areas may be weaker, but the Cadets didn't have just an OK hornline in the 80's...Those lines were phenomenal (83-85 in particular).

Watch the Cadets playing Candide in 85 with those 2 valve G's and I think how much easier we have it now, haha.

You can't tell me the judges don't know approximately what placement they are going to give each corps, and what kind of score they are going to give, even prior to seeing the show.

The judges don't know prior to seeing the show what placement or score to give. I know people want to really believe that, but I'm not buying it.