How important is a theme to you?

There is really no need for a theme. Just give me loud hornlines, Precision drumlines, and precision guard - Music I can recognize - (how about complete songs for a change) NO PRANCING! and I'm happy!

You forgot to mention -

Big Snare Lines. :blink::blink:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm...I got more people agreeing with me than I thought.

I mean, some themes are obvious (BD 04) and pretty much unavoidable. But Crossmen 04, for instance....fantastic show, one of my favorites, but I really don't get how that show has anything to do with "out of many, one." If there was a theme I didn't even try to block it out...I didn't pick it up in the slightest. But I absolutely love the show, so why go the extra mile to add the theme?

So why do you guys think, then, that so many corps/people try to push the theme envelope.

I would much rather see a show WITH a theme than without. Like Crown's 07 show. That was an excellent themed show. There are lots of great shows without themes that I really love, but themed shows to me kinda add another element other than just playing and marching. And I like that. I hear people say themes are kinda "artsy fartsy." Whatever. I still love them.

Hmm...I got more people agreeing with me than I thought.

I mean, some themes are obvious (BD 04) and pretty much unavoidable. But Crossmen 04, for instance....fantastic show, one of my favorites, but I really don't get how that show has anything to do with "out of many, one." If there was a theme I didn't even try to block it out...I didn't pick it up in the slightest. But I absolutely love the show, so why go the extra mile to add the theme?

So why do you guys think, then, that so many corps/people try to push the theme envelope.

Just an analogy - I got irritated with my bank about 10 years ago. I had banked with them for more than 20 years and without advance notice they started charging a service fee on my checking account where in the past there had not been a service fee. I called and was told that my no fee checking account was a 'financial product' that they no longer offered.

I didn't want a 'product'.......I just wanted a 'checking account'.

I see 'themed shows' as a tool for DCI marketing it's 'product' and that's certainly their right. But I'd think I'd like a 'show' that entertains me with music more or less true to the original composition more than a contrived 'product.'

Maybe it's just me.

I think if you have a theme you have to actually go for it, usually--otherwise it can seems tacked on--but it is nice to have a short little title for the whole package.

The best theme ever would be "The 70s." You could play four straight charts, stand in an arc for one of them, have your soloist on the front sideline, and put your guard in knee length skirts and ugly boots. You could even use synths to replicate low-tuned drums and marching bells, and overamp the loudest members of the hornline to get that "edgy" sound. :blink:

Just an analogy - I got irritated with my bank about 10 years ago. I had banked with them for more than 20 years and without advance notice they started charging a service fee on my checking account where in the past there had not been a service fee. I called and was told that my no fee checking account was a 'financial product' that they no longer offered.

I didn't want a 'product'.......I just wanted a 'checking account'.

I see 'themed shows' as a tool for DCI marketing it's 'product' and that's certainly their right. But I'd think I'd like a 'show' that entertains me with music more or less true to the original composition more than a contrived 'product.'

Maybe it's just me.

You sound like a hippie lol...just kidding.

Nah, but I mean I really don't see what is bad about having a themed show. Adds a little variety per corps and per show for that particular corps in my opinion.

I would much rather see a show WITH a theme than without. Like Crown's 07 show. That was an excellent themed show. There are lots of great shows without themes that I really love, but themed shows to me kinda add another element other than just playing and marching. And I like that. I hear people say themes are kinda "artsy fartsy." Whatever. I still love them.

The mere existence of a theme does not equal "artsy fartsy".

To me, "artsy fartsy" means that there's very little for most people to grasp on to or relate to. Only a select few would "get it". Carolina's 07 theme was definately not artsy fartsy. It was about horses, it was called Triple Crown, anyone could get that! That was easy to relate to! Way easier to relate to than their 06 show, "in tranc it". What the **** does that mean?? lol

Cavaliers 06 theme was Machine. One word, which yielded so many images, movements, sounds, concepts, alot that viewers could grasp on to. WAY more to grasp onto than "4 Corners" or "Frameworks".

You sound like a hippie lol...just kidding.

Nah, but I mean I really don't see what is bad about having a themed show. Adds a little variety per corps and per show for that particular corps in my opinion.

I've been called far worse though growing up and reaching teen-age hood in the mid-70's I'm just a little too young to have been a true hippie.

Maybe I've just had too many phone calls from politicians over the last two weeks!

One more thought - A drum corps show doesn't have to have a theme to be good but even the best theme doesn't help much if the corps is.......is not good.

Don't forget Cadets 01 - the 'theme' was no theme. :blink:

Really though, I understand why corps include themes - it just feels like there are times when the designers will lose the forest for the trees. I don't have a problem with themes if they add to the show, a great example would be Spirit 03, or Crossmen 07. However, I really just want to see a great show - I'm not that cerebral in my approach to corps.