What if I&E was mandatory?

I'm not really an advocate of 'mandatory participation', but I would be very supportive of a circuit-wide ban on corps rehearsals during the I&E period

This is not the first time I've heard this idea.... I kinda like it, even though it likely will never happen.

I really wish all DCA competition corps would participate in the I&E event... or at the very least give their members a chance to attend the event... even a portion of the event.

IMO, the corps that don't attend I&E don't know what they're missing. That night is one of the unique factors that makes the DCA championship weekend different from DCI's championship week.

I definitely would not mandate that each competition corps also have a mini-corps for the I&E show..... simply because that mini-corps event is busting at the seams already with the number of participants.

Just my two cents. Worth about.... two cents! :tongue:

Fran

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really an advocate of 'mandatory participation', but I would be very supportive of a circuit-wide ban on corps rehearsals during the I&E period, maybe even starting two hours prior to the start of the event.

That's an interesting idea.

I was thinking about how some DCA corps do not allow their members to participate in I&E.

What if -- as a requirement of DCA membership, each DCA corps was required to have a competitive mini corps, have at least 10 members compete in I&E, and allow their entire corps to attend. In other words, a significant level of I&E participation was mandatory for every DCA corps, just like performing in Prelims. Maybe the average score of each minicorps and I&E performer could be mathematically factored into the Prelims seeding.

As as intellectual exercise -- could this work?

no. i don't like the idea. i must have low intelligence. i can't get my mind around this whole idea. i guess i'm way to old and set in my ways.

The idea makes sense, if you look at what it could mean for the fans. Also what it could mean for the downtown area in terms of revenue.

But think logistics. You'd have to start I&E a lot earlier to fit it all in. That could actually cost DCA money in terms of facility costs and could really make things a mess trying to get around downtown Rachacha...not for us but locals.

While I think asking people to not rehearse would also be cool, I dont think you can mandate it.

On the other hand - who says that your I&E performers have to be current marching members?

However...if you didn't limit it to marching members, it would be a great way to keep your alumni actively involved in your organization and allow people who's health or schedules conflict with full participation in a competitive corps to participate.

Excellent thought.I know some alumnists who arent happy with the idea of not being able to be involved as when younger/able to.This makes for ideal participation for all. :cool:

I don't think the mandatory I&E / Mini Corps rule would work ... however, I've always thought (even back in the 60's) that DCA should have a "compulsory" routine, where every corps performs the exact same music

Hey! We could all play "RIO". Does anyone out there know where we could get an arrangement of it? :cool:

Yeah, then EVERYONE could be in I/E and there would be no audience. There would be less beer sold :worthy:

I would just like to see the corps "let their people go" to I/E instead of another practice. Hey, if they don't know the show by that Friday night, why bother? Let the people in the corps ENJOY the heck out of that night, its one of the best of the year. If those people can't control their own drinking, then you have a bigger problem than I thought!

:cool:

I think that all corps should support the I and E event by letting their people perform or at least attend it. Although there would be no way to inforce it, there should be a way to either hold back prize money in the form of a fine for the corps that dont comply, or effect them in score by penalization.

I agree with the previous post. If you dont have it by Friday night, you aint gonna get it. The extra tenth(s) that you think you are getting by keeping your people from enjoying one of the highlights of the weekend just arent worth it. The directors should be told they are expected to allow their people to go.

It is way worse in DCI. Not many corps attend that venue at all. And now they have the woodwind individuals as well....oy vay. And in first place in the FLUTE individuals...Sum Yung Gai.

The directors that dont allow participation are taking away a valuable social activity with other corps' members to their corps members IMHO.

Donny

I think that all corps should support the I and E event by letting their people perform or at least attend it. Although there would be no way to inforce it, there should be a way to either hold back prize money in the form of a fine for the corps that dont comply, or effect them in score by penalization.

I agree with the previous post. If you dont have it by Friday night, you aint gonna get it. The extra tenth(s) that you think you are getting by keeping your people from enjoying one of the highlights of the weekend just arent worth it. The directors should be told they are expected to allow their people to go.

It is way worse in DCI. Not many corps attend that venue at all. And now they have the woodwind individuals as well....oy vay. And in first place in the FLUTE individuals...Sum Yung Gai.

The directors that dont allow participation are taking away a valuable social activity with other corps' members to their corps members IMHO.

Donny

Similarly speaking, I think the Caballeros Managment has done a HUGE service to its marching members by taking them to see the Caballeros Alumni the day of finals at the Alumni Spectacular, I think they learn more from that show then doing one more runthrough the day of finals. Invaluable lessons learned that day. I remember the first time we did it when I was still marching, and it was the most incredible day.

To the original question - not sure if I think making participation mandatory is helpful to the corps themselves.

Some memberships of some corps come from all parts of the world and then to add more music to learn on top of what they already committed to could be a breaking point for participation in said corps.

Also, corps that are struggling for membership to make the minimal count needed, make also be a deciding factor on a corps not making it if that additional burden is placed.