Revere Beach

I grew up in Lynn and spent many Friday nights at the Beach and Kelley's. Have even showed up in a Limo!

My dad used to run the shooting gallery next to the flying horses for those of you who remember what Revere beach was like back in the day!

It was great to read all of this. So I guess when I am in MA this week it will be a tough choice between Kelley's and Kowloons.

Can't get either in lovely CT.

I grew up in Lynn and spent many Friday nights at the Beach and Kelley's. Have even showed up in a Limo!

My dad used to run the shooting gallery next to the flying horses for those of you who remember what Revere beach was like back in the day!

It was great to read all of this. So I guess when I am in MA this week it will be a tough choice between Kelley's and Kowloons.

Hi Pam :ph34r:

Hi Pam :ph34r:

Hi Jermone,

WE missed you yesterday!

:help:

Popular to contrary belief I am still alive and sucking up more than my fair share of oxygen down here in Tampa Bay. Good to hear from you Dusty! And for all you listeners on the west coast I'd like to brag that I share a DNA strand or two with Charlie Groh but, Nuh uh. We evolved on separate paths.

And Dusty, the McDonald's fish sandwich thing wasn't a Gorton's Nor'easter outfit. It was a speedo, pair of fins, mask and snorkel at the Hyannis Mickey D's on a dare from a college roomate. It was February. It was snowing. And Oh yes, there was shrinkage but I ate and drank for free all weekend.

If I get back to Norwood the Lewisburgers and buckets are on me.

well l rather have the visual of the gortons instead of the speedo. Steve great to hear from you. Let me know. l live down by plymouth now.. Teach Graphic Design in Somerville. Always stop at Lewis's after visiting the cemetary in Westwood where both my parents are now and my older Brother. I was there Sunday for a bucket or two and burger.. Hey stay in touch.

Great to hear from you.

Dusty

Only a very few refer to Hurley's carousel as "the flying horses"!!!! You are the real deal. My relatives owned the Hippodrome and the building with the little boat ride and the tiny Ferris Wheel. Distant family, but close enough that we never paid for rides. Remember frozen custard??

Only a very few refer to Hurley's carousel as "the flying horses"!!!! You are the real deal. My relatives owned the Hippodrome and the building with the little boat ride and the tiny Ferris Wheel. Distant family, but close enough that we never paid for rides. Remember frozen custard??

yes. frozen custard! remember the mouse trap? the scrambler? I used to celebrate every birthday at the beach when I was younger.

my mom used to tell us of stories about which bars she used to hang out at and which ones we shouldn't.

this is great walk down memory lane!

remember the mouse trap? the scrambler? I used to celebrate every birthday at the beach when I was younger.

We used to skip church on Sunday's (actually go and get the weekly bulletin my mother would be looking for) an go to the beach

and play the arcade games for a dime :laughing:

my mom used to tell us of stories about which bars she used to hang out at and which ones we shouldn't.

I bet Victor's was on the latter part of that list :sigh:

remember the mouse trap? the scrambler? I used to celebrate every birthday at the beach when I was younger.

We used to skip church on Sunday's (actually go and get the weekly bulletin my mother would be looking for) and go to the beach and play the arcade games for a dime :laughing:

Edited by john2780

We used to skip church on Sunday's (actually go and get the weekly bulletin my mother would be looking for) and go to the beach and play the arcade games for a dime :tongue:

she never told us all of them, she grew up in Revere and I think that she might be afarid that would would find just how bad she really was!! :laughing:

there was one that had a wall that opened facing the beach right down the street from Kelley's. I do beleive that it was Victor's

That is still owned by the same family that owned when she was younger.

I don't remember it being called Victor's, but it was once called "The Shark Den". Lots of Harleys out front. Now it's a Hispanic dance club. John and LancerLegend - what was the name of the motel that two Lancer fans managed (the DelMar or something like it??). The folks from Michigan (Wally et al) stayed there the summer of 76. The wife used to make exotic drinks, like Green Goddesses, and we'd sit in the middle of the parking lot drinking them.

Other great Revere Beach attractions: the double Ferris wheel, the Bubble Bounce, the Virginia Reel (a great make-out ride, I'm told), the Cyclone. There was also an indoor mini-golf place downstairs from the bowling alley. I once saw a girl put her boyfriend's face through the glass of a pinball machine there!!!!

The blizzard of '78 finished off what was left of the amusements. Dan and Neil McBride and I were living in an apartment on Beach St. then and went to observe the destruction. About all that was left before the blizzard were the bowling alley, and the building with the Tilt-A-Whirl and Bubble Bounce. The storm destroyed both.

Still remaining from the old days - Bianchi's, Kelly's, Bill Ashes, and I think the Shipwreck Lounge is still in business. No more angle parking along the wall - they put in curbstone, and you park parallel to the beach. No parking after 10 pm to stem any hoodlums who want to sit on the wall and drink beer. :tongue::smile: Not that WE ever did that!! :smile: