Revere Beach

In the winter of 76 and 77, before heading to the Commonwealth Armory, we'd spend our Sunday nights at Papa Gino's on Squire Road. I heard a rumor that someone would call in a pizza order about a half hour before closing, and never pick it up. Luckily, the manager would ask us if we would enjoy a pizza - on the house !

Okay, Mr. Legend! Who was it that would run to the payphone and call in the Pizza order? Was it you or the Swim Team Captain, Mr. Dustin?

NewBridgeCafe.jpg

I lived less than 1/4 mile from Newbridge , right over the line in Revere. The BEST lamb tips on earth. I used to play golf with the owners son Eddie. The Solombrinos ( of the IC Reveries Fame) lived practivally across the street.

Great Times !!!! :tongue:

I lived less than 1/4 mile from Newbridge , right over the line in Revere. The BEST lamb tips on earth. I used to play golf with the owners son Eddie. The Solombrinos ( of the IC Reveries Fame) lived practivally across the street.

Great Times !!!! :tongue:

Happy to announce that the Newbridge is still in business, and as good as ever! Ate there last week. Kelly's is also thriving, as is the Revere House of Grease - now located across the street from it's original location (It's now next door to the Lancer Hall parking lot). Hilltop is still open, although a shadow of its former self. There are no longer people waiting on the porch (even on Saturday night!!)

The Sittin' on Revere Beach song was by "Italian Ice" aka Jimmy from Kiss 108 radio. He's a good friend, and a very funny guy.

Boy, tons of memories in this thread! Yes, the Solombrinos lived across the street from the Newbridge. House is still there. And John, Eddie from the Newbridge is a distant cousin of mine.

Very popular in the area now are Hispanic restaurants. There seems to be one on every block!

The Bayside closed about 7 years ago. It is re-incarnated as the Big Lou Ribhouse, complete with a giant pig dressed in a chef's outfit on the roof! It serves mediocre BBQ, but the staff and patrons are friendly, and there are about 10 tv's in the place showing sports to an enthusiastic bar crowd! I've been watching the Celts playoff games there while enjoying a few O'Douls. (Yes, fake beer nowadays).

Thanks for memories everybody! Restaurant reviews for the Revere area always available!!

Edited by A27Lancer

Vickie....um, ROAD TRIP!!!!! :tongue::devil::poke:

Great Times !!!! :lol:

OK, OK. My lovely wife Cheryl caught me looking at this thread. I'm now on the hook for a trip to the Newbridge and Kelley's on the beach. :master:

Here's my 27 cents worth. :poke:

Newbridge. I lived 4 doors down the street for almost 30 years beginning at birth in 1957. Before the current owners bought the place in the 70's it was a front for a bookie operation called the Rainbow cafe. The neighbors would look the other way but would never set foot inside the door, ever. If you stood at the front door you could throw a rock and it would land in either Chelsea, Revere or Everett depending on the direction of flight. That corner is almost the point where the 3 cities touch each other. I never ate there until about 1993 when Cheryl insisted we go there. It was and still is all that its cracked up to be. Great steak or lamb tips! :tongue:

(Mandatory drum corps content.) In the spring of 1969 my father (very involved in Reveries and 27th at the time) was confined to the house for several months due to and illness. George B took the entire corps to the house on a Sunday afternoon where the most amazing park and blow performance was given at the end of Prospect Ave facing up the street towards the Newbridge. Needless to say, this then 12 year old, already with several marching seasons under his belt, was completely freaked out! I can still see 27th standing there when ever I'm there. George did this for others over the years with the same results. What a way to say thanks for your involvement! :lol:

Kelley's. Nothing more to say except my little brother Scott owns the worlds largest limousine service and clients (the real rich and not so famous as well as many celebrities) from all over the world have requested a trip to Kelly's on the beach. This has gone on for the 30 years he's been in business. Not much anyone can add to that endorsement. :devil:

Hilltop. Let's just say that Frank's gone and so went a legend. No sense beating a dead horse, er, cow. :poke:

The Bay Side Lounge. This was a family operation. My family. My father's Uncle Bill, the patriarch of the Revere Sarno Klan, owned the place. We used to hold family parties there. A big drum corps hang out for about 25 or 30 years. Favorite of 27th staff as well as the Reveries. (Mandatory drum corps content.) I'll never forget the time around 1969 or 1970 when the Foley twins came around the corner of Zayer's and came to a screeching halt right in the middle of a Reveries practice in the Foley's 27th green VW bug. The two of them jumped out, opened the front trunk, grabbed my father, tossed him in, closed up and left rubber! They felt it was more important for my dad (Slushy) to have a few cold ones with 27th's staff at his uncle's place across the street! I figured out what was what and was laughing like an idiot while a lot of the Reverie kids didn't have a clue and thought the boss had been kidnapped by a local hit squad. When the Foley twins were wound up the most outrageous hilarity was about to overwhelm anybody in range. :devil:

Edited by up4479
  • Like 1

I was just thinking the same thing!!! Jinks :lol:

Hey, John, can we crash at your place???

I was just thinking the same thing!!! Jinks :tongue:

Oh please, pretty please!!!!

Mike, If you're coming from CO, I'll fill up the Chevy and drive up from FL. I'll stop at South of the Border on the way up and fill the trunk with bottle rockets.

First Sam Adams is on me at the Newbridge.

Then we can hit the dumpster behind Sozio's...get some refrigerator boxes... and go surfing down So. Cambridge St. (with a salute as we pass #35)

I was just thinking the same thing!!! Jinks :tongue:

Crashing at John's? You'll need a road map to get to Revere from Townsend. You better stay at one of the fleabag motels on the "beach," or you could stay at the studio apt that Bruce Gammon, Jack Cash and I rented during the wintah of '77. I swear, we could get 15 people in that place during a weekend camp.

Yo tgk2779, I know nothing of any phone call (that was before they tapped the phone lines), but I did enjoy destroying the evidence.

Did somebody say MORE PICTURES???

Bianchis.jpg