Carolina Crown Official 2008 Show Announcement

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And can a linguist help us out ...

"Finis" appears to me to be French, in which case it would be pronounced fee-nee. Italian would be finale or finire or something like that - but not anything pronounced fi-nay as the pronounciation guide seems to suggest. Or maybe I'm wrong? Or maybe the show is about something else altogether, something beyond my limited non-English vocabulary.

HH

Oh Jim Coates... how amusing he can be...

"So, you guys, have you ever been in a trance? Well I have...": trying to describe the 2006 program to the corps.

i thought that the title "in.trance.it." was a play on words of 'in transit'...like being in motion, or going somewhere, not being a trance?

Finis is Latin for "the ending" or "the finish"

And yes, it is pronounced just as they say it is..

FinEE

Edited by SoCal04

QUOTE (Harmonious Cacophony @ May 12 2008, 02:46 PM)

Musical Selections & Inspiration

Candide (Bernstein)

-Toccata & Fugue in D minor (Bach)

Barber of Seville (Rossini)

-Symphony No. 9 (Beethoven)

-Mid Summer Night’s Dream #9 (Mendelssohn)

Clair de Lune (Debussy)

-One Hand, One Heart (Bernstein)

-Somewhere (Bernstein)

-Hungarian Rhapsody (Liszt)

-Festive Overture (Shostakovich)

1812 Overture (Tchaikovsky)

-Appalachian Spring (Copland)

-Hallelujah Chorus (Handel)

The tunes in bold were/are listed in their brass page under the "Show List." I don't think I have seen the other pieces listed in on the brass page. This leads me to believe that these works might just fit into the "Inspiration" category with no musical material actually derived from them, only small musical motives are used, or something of the sort. I think it could work- an entire show of closers!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is correct. From what I understand, the pieces you listed in bold are the "full" pieces arranged so that snippets of the other pieces are intertwined throughout. For example, the ballad is Claire de Lune, but will have the Bernstein pieces intertwined. I also am pretty sure that Hungarian Rhapsody is the percussion feature.

hits and misses. you two have a pretty close interpretation of how the show will play out musically , but you're not quite entirely correct.

as for what you've got wrong, well....... you'll just have to wait until June 21! :worthy:

Just looked at the brass page - looks really really exciting. I'm really intrigued by all the off-season work they put their members through, that is going to pay off.

Crown should put dark red / purple velvet sashes in their uniform to symbolize the curtain at the end of a production. What do you think?