Carolina Crown Official 2008 Show Announcement

13 songs? Seriously? By the time the audience recognizes what they are listening to they will be well into another tune. Hoping this won't be a mess.

:tongue: No kidding. Given the pieces that has Looney Tunes written all over it.

If y'all think Crown has a long selections list...you should see Blue Star's.

2006 BD was the same way. If you read the liner notes, there had to be at least 8-10 pieces they either performed or were influence by.

Edited by sburstall

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps someone should tell Crown that 'Hallelujah' isn't the FINIS to Handel's Messiah. :tongue:

Perhaps Crown cares less about "Hallelujah" being the "FINIS" to Handel's Messiah and more about it being the end of their 2008 production. (Assuming that it is.)

This could prove to be awesome. Can't wait to see them. :tongue:

Musical Selections & Inspiration

Candide (Bernstein)

-Toccata & Fugue in D minor (Bach)

Barber of Seville (Rossini)

-Symphony No. 9 (Beethoven)

-Mid Summer Night’s Dream #9 (Mendelssohn)

Clair de Lune (Debussy)

-One Hand, One Heart (Bernstein)

-Somewhere (Bernstein)

-Hungarian Rhapsody (Liszt)

-Festive Overture (Shostakovich)

1812 Overture (Tchaikovsky)

-Appalachian Spring (Copland)

-Hallelujah Chorus (Handel)

The tunes in bold were/are listed in their brass page under the "Show List." I don't think I have seen the other pieces listed in on the brass page. This leads me to believe that these works might just fit into the "Inspiration" category with no musical material actually derived from them, only small musical motives are used, or something of the sort. I think it could work- an entire show of closers!

Perhaps someone should tell Crown that 'Hallelujah' isn't the FINIS to Handel's Messiah. :tongue:

It is not the ending to the entire work. But it is the FINIS to part 2, the Easter section.

Musical Selections & Inspiration

Candide (Bernstein)

-Toccata & Fugue in D minor (Bach)

Barber of Seville (Rossini)

-Symphony No. 9 (Beethoven)

-Mid Summer Night’s Dream #9 (Mendelssohn)

Clair de Lune (Debussy)

-One Hand, One Heart (Bernstein)

-Somewhere (Bernstein)

-Hungarian Rhapsody (Liszt)

-Festive Overture (Shostakovich)

1812 Overture (Tchaikovsky)

-Appalachian Spring (Copland)

-Hallelujah Chorus (Handel)

The tunes in bold were/are listed in their brass page under the "Show List." I don't think I have seen the other pieces listed in on the brass page. This leads me to believe that these works might just fit into the "Inspiration" category with no musical material actually derived from them, only small musical motives are used, or something of the sort. I think it could work- an entire show of closers!

This is correct. From what I understand, the pieces you listed in bold are the "full" pieces arranged so that snippets of the other pieces are intertwined throughout. For example, the ballad is Claire de Lune, but will have the Bernstein pieces intertwined. I also am pretty sure that Hungarian Rhapsody is the percussion feature.

I think this could be great. I always enjoy when you can pick out small bits and pieces of other tunes in shows, provided the arrangements are done well, which I don't think will be a problem here, judging from Crown's past few years.