Carolina Crown Official 2008 Show Announcement

i thought that the title "in.trance.it." was a play on words of 'in transit'...like being in motion, or going somewhere, not being a trance?

It was supposed to mean both... Which I don't think worked out at all. This is why Jim Coates' credibility is questionable in my mind. But that's not the only reason. One time, he really ###### off the corps members by randomly, and very angrily, critiquing them on visual teqniques one rehearsal; which is totally not in his job description. He just gets on a lot of people's nerves throughout the season. that's all. And he has a reputation of putting the corps to sleep during his drawn out speeches......snore...

Edited by smashbalance

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets keep off of this guy. He has also brought in some of the best brass, visual, percussion and guard people since he took the position in 2003. For every situation that was pointed out in the last post, there are great hires or great decisions he has made with the design staff to get the corps where they are today.

Lets keep off of this guy. He has also brought in some of the best brass, visual, percussion and guard people since he took the position in 2003. For every situation that was pointed out in the last post, there are great hires or great decisions he has made with the design staff to get the corps where they are today.

Very true, sir.........very true.

It was supposed to mean both... Which I don't think worked out at all. This is why Jim Coates' credibility is questionable in my mind. But that's not the only reason. One time, he really ###### off the corps members by randomly, and very angrily, critiquing them on visual teqniques one rehearsal; which is totally not in his job description. He just gets on a lot of people's nerves throughout the season. that's all. And he has a reputation of putting the corps to sleep during his drawn out speeches......snore...

Dude I hope your not a current member of Crown....Bashing the staff. :worthy:

And can a linguist help us out ...

"Finis" appears to me to be French, in which case it would be pronounced fee-nee. Italian would be finale or finire or something like that - but not anything pronounced fi-nay as the pronounciation guide seems to suggest. Or maybe I'm wrong? Or maybe the show is about something else altogether, something beyond my limited non-English vocabulary.

HH

I can answer this (being francophone). Finis is french for Finished - and it is pronocunced fee-nee.

Later,

Mike

And he has a reputation of putting the corps to sleep during his drawn out speeches......snore...

Maybe that was just his way of bringing the in.TRANCE.it concept to life... by putting everyone in a TRANCE of their own!

:worthy:

Oh, I don't know. Maybe something Enya-esque in style set to the Debussy music might be interesting.

Could be. But really, I don't like Clair de Lune on anything except piano, despite some pretty famous orchestral arrangements of it done by some top-tier orchestras. It's a solo piece only, in my mind. It's incredibly rubato. French impressionistic pieces are just like that for me most of the time, though there are exceptions. Maybe Crown and the Blue Stars will change my mind in a way that Phantom did not. We'll see, I guess.

Could be. But really, I don't like Clair de Lune on anything except piano, despite some pretty famous orchestral arrangements of it done by some top-tier orchestras. It's a solo piece only, in my mind. It's incredibly rubato. French impressionistic pieces are just like that for me most of the time, though there are exceptions. Maybe Crown and the Blue Stars will change my mind in a way that Phantom did not. We'll see, I guess.

Hence my 'maybe' and 'might'...I tend to agree. :worthy:

I can answer this (being francophone). Finis is french for Finished - and it is pronocunced fee-nee.

In CC's announcement, they include the phonetic pronunciation. It is fiˈnē, which would be pronounced as fih-NEE.

I would think that having the accent on the first syllable (as in FEE-nee) wouldn't be very characteristic of the French.