Favorite Non Top 12 corps

I'm surprised that no ones mentioned the Marauders. 1987 when they did their Pirate show. Magic had nothing on these guys! Southwind is another one. Any year, especially since 99.

1991 was the first year of a 2 year pirate themed show for us.

• 2 years later...

Heartbreaking for Bostonians too! I often thought my love of BAC was a combination of hometown pride and nostalgia, but as I read so many posts regarding the Boston Crusaders,I realize a good number of people outside of NE, including former competitors, believe BAC should have made finals long before they did.

Let's just say there was no love lost between the Freelancers and Boston when I marched in the early 90s, but yeah we felt pretty d*mn horrible for them in 94 when they didn't make finals at home. That was pretty heartbreaking.

And loud!!! The power they could exude was phenomenal! When they had their best years, they were in the shadow of the big three, 27th, North Star, and Boston Crusaders, but they were quite popular and I can remember a few CYO circuit shows where crowds made their displeasure known when North Star topped Defenders.

Growing up in the Northeast in the 70s. I would have to say the Holy Family Defenders. Always a class act and showed up every year with a solid corps. There were much bigger corps around the area but they always were approachable and friendly.

Other:

Corps that showed up every year at the World Open - Avant Garde

Edited by Tim K

I know this is an old thread and perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see General Butler Vagabonds listed.No, they were not Top 12 elite, but they were good and they were popular. I remember them from World OIpen Days and if I remember correctly, they should have felt the love from Boston audiences as they took the field at Manning Bowl.

100% homer here, but in all fairness I liked them before I joined (which is why I joined)

The Saints (Woodbridge/Edison NJ)

Gotta agress here, If they could have kept those kids together, who knows how high they would have gone.

• Like 1

Pre-DCI. These are a few that I am familiar with:

St. Rocco's Cadets

OLPH Ridgemen

Our Lady of Lorretta Knights

St. Catherines of Ciena Queensmen and Marrinettes ( excues the speeling )

Paterson Police Cadets

Fairlawn Police Cadets

Many more from the NY City area back in the '60's.

Well if you're going to go there ...

It was really Our Lady of Loretto Knights

St. Lucy's Cadets

St. Joseph of Batavia Cadets

The short-lived always up and coming St. Joseph Patron Cadets

The Bronx Kingsmen

The Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights

Speaking of girls in the corps: The Trumbull Troubadors (45 girl color guard - no joke!)

Staten Island Lawmen ( I think)

The Bon Bons

St. Ignatius

The Appleknockers from Upstate NY

Then I have to give a nod to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, many members of which went on to become Directors and Instructors of some of the best Drum Corps in the East.