Favorite Non Top 12 corps

VERY partial to the 1983 edition of the Geneseo Knights. What a PHENOMENAL show--at least, musically. I never have "seen" that show, but boy did I listen to my DCI cassette tape over and over and over with GK on it. Loved it.

Others:

Valley Fever

Avant Garde (83 as well...the year of the out of control sop soloist)

Florida Wave (our pastel clad brothers from the south--1987!!! oooooo rah!!!)

Marauders (the unfairly titled "best marching band in DCI")

Arizona Sun (would have been what the Academy is NOW had they stuck around)

Thanks for the "shout out'! 1987 Wave was a fun year. We were top 12 musically, but couldn't touch SkyRyders in GE or Guard with their West Side Story show. The funny thing is that the two guard members in SkyRyders that played Tony and Maria were both ex-Wave members.....

Doh! :tongue:

Jerry Noonan never taught Florida Wave. Dean Musson ran the horn line, but our arranger that year who also worked with us quite a bit was Jerry Kelsey. Is that who you meant?

I loved Florida Wave!!!!

I thought 86 Canadian Knights was a pretty cool show too.

• 8 months later...

Les Etoiles!!!!

1995 was the first year I saw them. They did a lot with a little every year. Ironically, their largest corps in 1997, was probably their sloppiest offering. Still exciting, the introduction of the zero-gravity drumming roto-toms. The kettle drums on wheels being dragged all over the field by the contra players no less.

1996 when they won D2 and finished 15th at Semi's was a fantastic production full of pure emotion. That drum major was off the hook. The close-ups of him on the d2/3 finals video are intense to the max. What an outstanding performance.

Also, Ducth Boy, whatever year they played Begin the Beguine (either 88 or 89, show was in Kansas City). Sop soloists were insane.

I'd have to go with 1979 and 1987 Crossmen

But the 1979 corps were the only Associate Champions

ever, I think!

S Most would say '75 was their best year as far as competition goes. By 1980, the corps lost most of it's solid players.

We met up with the Vagabonds in Ohio, forget what show (old timers) and we had a couple that came to march with us. I'd say that was 1981.

Ahhh one of my first serious crushes was a young lady from General Butler. Weird thing was her ex boyfriend came to march with us.. Of course trying to remember his name and it completely goes out of my head. Could tell you hers, what guy can not remember their first real taste of that dreaded "L" word?

Corps that fell outside the top 12, so many favorites, so many corps.. Back in my time frame it was days of prelims. All of the Corps mentioned make my list.

VERY partial to the 1983 edition of the Geneseo Knights. What a PHENOMENAL show--at least, musically. I never have "seen" that show, but boy did I listen to my DCI cassette tape over and over and over with GK on it. Loved it.

Others:

Valley Fever

Avant Garde (83 as well...the year of the out of control sop soloist)

Florida Wave (our pastel clad brothers from the south--1987!!! oooooo rah!!!)

Marauders (the unfairly titled "best marching band in DCI")

Arizona Sun (would have been what the Academy is NOW had they stuck around)

I agree with this. 1983 was a great year. Avant Garde, Florida Wave, Knights, Boston were all great corps. I listened to all the albums over and over. A very good year.

I'd have to go with 1979 and 1987 Crossmen

But the 1979 corps were the only Associate Champions

ever, I think!

Friday August 17, 1979

DCI Associate Championships

Legion Field

Birmingham, AL

1 Crossmen 86.15

2 Offensive Lions 78.60

3 Freelancers 78.00

4 Garfield Cadets 77.30

5 Royal Crusaders 75.80

________

Friday August 17, 1979

DCI World Championship Prelims

Legion Field

Birmingham, AL

1 Blue Devils 91.75

2 Phantom Regiment 91.65

3 Santa Clara Vanguard 89.95

4 Spirit of Atlanta 89.85

5 27th Lancers 87.40

6 Madison Scouts 86.85

7 Bridgemen 85.00

8 Blue Stars 84.85

9 North Star 84.45

10 Guardsmen 83.65

11 Cavaliers 82.00

12 Troopers 81.90

13 Crossmen 81.70

Growing up in the Northeast in the 70s. I would have to say the Holy Family Defenders. Always a class act and showed up every year with a solid corps. There were much bigger corps around the area but they always were approachable and friendly.

Other:

Corps that showed up every year at the World Open - Avant Garde

Squires

Defenders

Avant Guard

Ventures

Blue Rock

Mephis Blues Brass Band

Valley Fever

General Butler Vagabonds

Seattle Imperials

Argonauts