Best show ever?

1989 SCV

No one will ever top that show

hmmmm....unless you believe as I do that Phantom Regiment should have won in 1989. IMHO this is the best dci corp ever..period. No discussion is necessary.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets 2001 - Juxtaperformance! Such an awesome hornline and book.

1973 SVC. That corps just out classed everyone on the field that year.

hmmmm....unless you believe as I do that Phantom Regiment should have won in 1989. IMHO this is the best dci corp ever..period. No discussion is necessary.

ride cymbal in the largo, and they marched what, 6-8 sets the whole show? not saying i'm hating on 89 pr, they were great, and maybe there was a little "no way we're giving them second AGAIN" sentiment riding in vanguards favor, but seriously, this one is at least open to discussion! :laughing:

Agreed.

Best show ever? To me, SCV 2004!

An honest question here. Why is the ride cymbal such a sticking point with '89? Dvorak's original piece was inspired by the musical styles popular in America when he lived here. "From a New World to a New Age" took an updated look at Dvorak's inspiration which included a ride cymbal.

Think of Blue Devil's show "Adventures in Time" where original time signatures were "substituted" for new ones.

An honest question here. Why is the ride cymbal such a sticking point with '89? Dvorak's original piece was inspired by the musical styles popular in America when he lived here. "From a New World to a New Age" took an updated look at Dvorak's inspiration which included a ride cymbal.

Think of Blue Devil's show "Adventures in Time" where original time signatures were "substituted" for new ones.

the new world symphony isn't about "musical styles popular in America when he lived here," actually, the opposite is true. dvorak was a symphonic composer who made his early reputation writing pieces that celebrated the traditional folk music of his native bohemia(modern czech republic). a wealthy new york widow with a passion for music hired him to come to new york and write music celebrating american folk traditions, as a means to develop the first truly american school of modern composition. this was a debatable task, there was already a lot of american composition going on before dvorak, but the 1890's were a sort of golden age for american symphonic development, dvoraks arrival coinciding with the founding of several new orchestras and conservatories in american cities; phi mu alpha also got its start in that decade. he agreed, and the new world symphony is part of the production of his years in america.

but the symphony wasn't about the popular music of 1890's new york, that was a dancehall scene, for the most part. the symphony actually has two main philosophical themes. its first, and most readily apparent, is a psychological exploration of the idea and ideal of the new world, its attraction to children of the old world, and the emotional experience of immigration and frontiersmanship: the bold themes of the first movement, mixed with other themes exploring excitement, discovery, fortitude, fear, courage, and joy. on a second level, the symphony was written as a piece of living anthropology. dvorak was based in new york, but traveled, and soaked up as much indigenous music as he could, transcribing themes and styles as he traveled to fold into his american compositions. many people believe the largo was based on a negro spiritual, one was even written based on the largo after the fact (going home), but it was actually an exploration and amplification of a traditional native american chant dvorak heard during a trip to an indian reservation. a fairly ancient piece of music, even in its day.

so the music dvorak drew his inspirations from was not contemporary at all, it was very very old, even in the 1890's. but you could argue that the one contemporary ingredient was dvoraks instrumentation. the symphony orchestra is nothing if not contemporary to 19th century western music. and i suppose you could even argue that using a ride cymbal in a brass band to describe dvoraks themes to a 20th century american audience in a football stadium is very true to the heart of dvoraks own experience and intent, a retelling of traditional music through modern means.

having said all that, i don't like the ride cymbal for aesthetic, not philosophical reasons. the truth is, i think it sucks. it sticks out like a sore thumb. its a distraction in an otherwise beautiful and majestic piece of music. its ham and cheese on why. i hate it, i'll always hate it, and its the one reason why i don't consider this pr show in the same caliber as 96 or 03. well, that and the blatty bari section, toning those guys down was, imo, the best phantom move ever.

TODAY I am all about Santa Clara Vanguard 1984!

( there is a high camera on the tube, see it while it's still up )