Best show ever?

Another I think that earns praise is 2007 Carolina Crown, I thought their show really encompassed the activity. I find it funny how my favorite shows from last year contained none that were in the top 3.

It seems like it's been about 15 years since one of my favorite shows in a given season did finish in the top 3.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone. I was wondering what each of you thought was the best Championship show ever. I don't mean date and location but the corps and the year they performed. It doesn't matter if they finished in the top 12 or went out after quarters.

What I am looking for is your favorite show ever and reasons why.

Mine is:

2003 Phantom Regiment - Harmonic Journeys

Reason: This show has it all...drill, crowd pleasing drama and crescendo, and intensity. There is not a time that I watch this show that my eyes don't fill up with tears at 1:10 and the push from 9 minutes until the end is all adrenaline. What a show. I know it didn't win, but my favorite show ever! I am requesting to have it played at my funeral (hopefully not for another 60 years!)

You know, I don't think I have ever heard a guard person even utter the words "Phantom Regiment" with the number "2003" on the topic of good shows much less best ever. I have to consider shows that actually HAD a visual show, and I'm a Phantom honk.

My personal FAVORITES would have to be 91 and 93 PR. BEST show ever would have to be 93 Star, 94 BD or 91 Star, in no particular order. Quality of performance has to be considered in a "best" thread and these three are among the best ever in any category as well as individual caption consideration in their years.

Each of these three is also spectacular in specific areas as well. 91 Star was simply an incredible book and drill. 93 Star is still discussed and revered--by creative staff if not fans universally. And 94 BD was just one of the best-performed shows of all time. Undefeated is one thing...that hornline was another matter entirely--wow!

While the music of 2003 PR is good, there are several offerings from that corps alone that are better. Quality of performance bugs me. And none of the captions challenged for top honors, IIRC. And 4th? I'd mention 95 Madison except for its placement as well. I actually preferred their 97 offering, but this is "best," not favorite.

Just my $0.02...have to throw that out there cuz I tick off Rockford-ites every time I say something not completely complimentary of my corps.

Hey everyone. I was wondering what each of you thought was the best Championship show ever. I don't mean date and location but the corps and the year they performed. It doesn't matter if they finished in the top 12 or went out after quarters.

What I am looking for is your favorite show ever and reasons why.

Mine is:

2003 Phantom Regiment - Harmonic Journeys

Reason: This show has it all...drill, crowd pleasing drama and crescendo, and intensity. There is not a time that I watch this show that my eyes don't fill up with tears at 1:10 and the push from 9 minutes until the end is all adrenaline. What a show. I know it didn't win, but my favorite show ever! I am requesting to have it played at my funeral (hopefully not for another 60 years!)

In the DCI realm......for me its the 1986 Blue Devils. I saw it live in late July..........

oh.....and the won to :dozingoff:

I just viewed my favorite SCV show from 1984 (prelims)

I had forgot that SCV changed their uniform pants from Green all season, to WHITE for finals.

It's amasing to see a drum corps change so much over night! Very hard core and mean in Green, very classy and light at finals.

I agree Vanguard was incredible Finals night in '84 (it's very evident on the DVD). But if I remember correctly, their prelims performance was subpar (their 93.5 score was pretty much the buzz of that early evening in Atlanta). Then, just one night later, they scored a 97.4. Even all these years later I still can't imagine how they could have improved 4 points in one day. Not that I can't believe they were that good (they obviously were - incredible emotion comes through in the video). But what happened to them in prelims? I heard some rumors of bad phasing problems in that performance, and maybe overall emotional flatness. But based on their Finals performance, I have to believe they got dropped hard by the judges - for whatever reason.

I remember this so vividly because I was in the Phantom Regiment that year, and we were ecstatic at beating them in prelims. We'd gone head to head several times that summer, and had only managed to tie them once in July, a show that ended memorably with both hornlines in joint performances of, first, Send in the Clowns (conducted by Rick South), then Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral (conducted by Dan Farrell) - great stuff! Many of us got to know each other pretty well when we competed, and I thought they were great kids.

Also, regarding the white pants, I thought I remembered at least 2 other shows that season (including Whitewater, which they won) where they sported them. I could be wrong. I remember that entire summer pretty vividly, but it WAS 24 years ago :dozingoff:

Edited by 80's dci vet

Cadets 2000

I think that ushered us into the new millennium of show designs. The last of the 90's era shows were over at that point. Cadets brought entertainment back to the field and yes even some gimmicky trickeration was quite appealing to me. Who knows....without this show, perhaps we would've never seen a "fight club", "sit and spin", "door", "horse race", or "robots" on the field in later years.

I loved the music, the drill, the energy of that hornline and it was so different from anything the Cadets had done up to that point.

I would kill and give up random body parts to march that show.

Let me preface ths with some background info- I've been marrching since 1960 ( yeah I was young-7 years old at the time)

1973 Santa Clara Vanguard

On tour with Blue Rock that year (a down year for us) in Butler, Pa, when I saw Santa Clara for the first time- unbelievable! We stood there with our collective mouths open. I had never seen anything like it! They opened with a piece I had never heard of, but that night we were alll humming it on the bus on the way to US Open. When iIgot to Marion, OH, I immediately called my dad up ( who started marching in 1938) and said, "you gotta go see Santa Clara in North Jersey this week, they're incredible!

He goes to the show (He's a WW2 vet and a Military Style Drum Corps guy), and when I call him from Whitewater he's raving about SCV, going nuts on the phone. Talk about crossing generational boundaries!

RCC

Just listen to the Machine standstill, Jesus Christ...

I hadn't heard this until just now. In fact, I'm not even done listening to it. But my god...this should be required listening for all drum corps fans.

I hadn't heard this until just now. In fact, I'm not even done listening to it. But my god...this should be required listening for all drum corps fans.

Where does one listen to this standstill performance?