Marion Cadets

It's quite sad for me to see all the turmoil in Marion. It was the Marion Cadets that first introduced me to the world of drum corps.

I had graduated from Ohio University in 1975 with a Bachelors in Music Ed, but really had next to no exposure to d&bc at all. It wasn't widely known in the Central Ohio area yet, despite Marion being just north of there. Corps were much more of a "niche" thing back then, as opposed to today.

Anyway, I was at the 1975 4th of July parade in Marysville, Ohio, just northwest of Columbus. My girlfriend (now my wife of 32 years in June !) had just moved there to be the choir director at Fairbanks Local, just south of Marysville. We were watching the parade when I heard a really kickin' percussion section coming from around the corner. I knew it was dommmm strong, but I had clue who or what it was.

Then about a block away the Marion Cadets kicked off "Conquest", a jazzy 2/2 arrangement. The sound they produced just blew me away. I instantly became a much greater fan of the activity than I was already, and got to go to a few U.S. Open shows in Marion (first time I saw Scouts live - Marion - "Slaughter on 10th Avenue" !!!!), but the big thrill was to go to DCI Finals in Denver in '78. Talk about all the biggies in one place !!!!

After spending a few years in a band job, I got out of teaching, but I stayed a drum corps fan for (most of) the next 30 years, except for the period in the '90's where I got so disgusted with the lack of "entertainment component" (call me a throwback - I really couldn't care). I guess that's why my favorite corps were historically the Bridgemen, VK, and (older) Madison. They always seemed to place the audience first, not their own artistic sensibilities, or those of the staff.

I also got the chance to live a drum corps fan's dream when I went to Bayonne in 2006 to try to fill a 4th bari spot for the Bridgemen Alumni Corps. Altho I had tons of band experience, I'd never put a foot on a field with a corps, but it really turned out great. The staff and members were (and are) great, and the thrill of coming down the hill in the yellow coat, in the first Bridgemen appearance in 19 years .....well, I still get short of breath just thinking about it ! After years of watching it, things finally came full circle.

Anyway, point is, Marion has a proud and storied history, and I really, really hate to see things reach the point they have. Hopefully, things can get turned around and they can start providing the kids something again.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's quite sad for me to see all the turmoil in Marion. It was the Marion Cadets that first introduced me to the world of drum corps.

I had graduated from Ohio University in 1975 with a Bachelors in Music Ed, but really had next to no exposure to d&bc at all. It wasn't widely known in the Central Ohio area yet, despite Marion being just north of there. Corps were much more of a "niche" thing back then, as opposed to today.

Anyway, I was at the 1975 4th of July parade in Marysville, Ohio, just northwest of Columbus. My girlfriend (now my wife of 32 years in June !) had just moved there to be the choir director at Fairbanks Local, just south of Marysville. We were watching the parade when I heard a really kickin' percussion section coming from around the corner. I knew it was dommmm strong, but I had clue who or what it was.

Then about a block away the Marion Cadets kicked off "Conquest", a jazzy 2/2 arrangement. The sound they produced just blew me away. I instantly became a much greater fan of the activity than I was already, and got to go to a few U.S. Open shows in Marion (first time I saw Scouts live - Marion - "Slaughter on 10th Avenue" !!!!), but the big thrill was to go to DCI Finals in Denver in '78. Talk about all the biggies in one place !!!!

After spending a few years in a band job, I got out of teaching, but I stayed a drum corps fan for (most of) the next 30 years, except for the period in the '90's where I got so disgusted with the lack of "entertainment component" (call me a throwback - I really couldn't care). I guess that's why my favorite corps were historically the Bridgemen, VK, and (older) Madison. They always seemed to place the audience first, not their own artistic sensibilities, or those of the staff.

I also got the chance to live a drum corps fan's dream when I went to Bayonne in 2006 to try to fill a 4th bari spot for the Bridgemen Alumni Corps. Altho I had tons of band experience, I'd never put a foot on a field with a corps, but it really turned out great. The staff and members were (and are) great, and the thrill of coming down the hill in the yellow coat, in the first Bridgemen appearance in 19 years .....well, I still get short of breath just thinking about it ! After years of watching it, things finally came full circle.

Anyway, point is, Marion has a proud and storied history, and I really, really hate to see things reach the point they have. Hopefully, things can get turned around and they can start providing the kids something again.

If you are in Ohio feel free to contact tv 22 or post in the Marion star.The louder we are the more we will be herd.

• 3 weeks later...

Check this video out...a special report from the Marion OH TV station

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1618642077

TV22

Why should this be important to you?

1. This group of adults has hijacked the good name and reputation of not only the Marion Cadets, but drum corps in general in a town that was formerly nationally revered as a drum corps destination.

2. If there ever is hope to have drum corps again in Marion, this situation must change and the perpetrators of this fraud on the community must be exposed for what they are.

3. This could be repeated in your city by a similar group or another drum corps...putting a large black spot on our activity and heritage as a whole.

4. This could cause state governmental bodies who license and permit BINGO for the benefit of drum corps to review or revoke permits based on one VERY BAD APPLE in the barrel.

5. The loss of one more drum corps hurts all drum corps.

What can you do?

1. Go to the Marion Star newspaper site (marionstar.com) and log in on their forum and post your opinions to the city and the community in the Marion Area site.

2. Be vocal to the State Attorney General in Ohio. There is fraud being perpetrated here...on ALL drum corps.

3. Support drum corps nationally by rooting out evil (with apologies to our California Sr. brethren).

These type of shenanigans must not be tolerated within the drum corps community.

These type of shenanigans must not be tolerated within the drum corps community.

Agreed.

So, when they finally shut this guy down (and possibly lock him up), will there be anyone to step up and reorganize the organization? Is there someone/some group of people with vision who could rebuild Marion Cadets into an organization which could serve the deserving young people of the area? Does the city care about any of this?

Wow

Here are the results from a couple of early 60's Western PA senior shows where they competed.......

22 June 1963 Girard, Pennsylvania

29th Pennsylvania District American Legion Contest

1. Marion Cadets 73.99

2. Meadville Thunderbirds 65.99

3. Warren Cornplanters 65.71

4. Salamanca Black Knights 62.15

5. Sharpsburg Cadets 61.92

6. Westmoreland Equires 60.80 (2.0)

Exhibition: Derry Crusaders

27 June 1964 Union City, PA

29th District

American Legion Contest

1. Hamburg Kingsmen 85.05

2. Marion Cadets 82.05

3. Toledo Demons 73.65

4. Flying Dutchmen 68.50

5. Meadville Thunderbirds 65.45

Exhibition: North East Shoreliners

During the early 60s, many junior corps competed against the senior corps, especially the junior corps that were scoring well. St. Joseph's of Batavia often competed against many senior corps such as the Hamburg Kingsmen, Meadville Thunderbirds, Warren Cornplanters and the Bonnie Scots. The following contest had many junior corps, but I think that the Maumee Demons were a senior corps.

Position Corps Score

1 Cavaliers 88.935

2 Garfield Cadets 87.615

3 St. Joseph's of Batavia 82.816

4 Marion Cadets 80.683

5 Maumee Demons 80.633

6 Emerald Cadets (NY) 78.625

7 General Custer's Brigade 75.233

8 Blue Devils (OH) 62.983

Agreed.

So, when they finally shut this guy down (and possibly lock him up), will there be anyone to step up and reorganize the organization? Is there someone/some group of people with vision who could rebuild Marion Cadets into an organization which could serve the deserving young people of the area? Does the city care about any of this?

Yes ready and waiting.Not a drum corps soon but a indoor drumline,color guard and other youth groups to build with kids from the area.

During the early 60s, many junior corps competed against the senior corps, especially the junior corps that were scoring well. St. Joseph's of Batavia often competed against many senior corps such as the Hamburg Kingsmen, Meadville Thunderbirds, Warren Cornplanters and the Bonnie Scots. The following contest had many junior corps, but I think that the Maumee Demons were a senior corps.

Position Corps Score

1 Cavaliers 88.935

2 Garfield Cadets 87.615

3 St. Joseph's of Batavia 82.816

4 Marion Cadets 80.683

5 Maumee Demons 80.633

6 Emerald Cadets (NY) 78.625

7 General Custer's Brigade 75.233

8 Blue Devils (OH) 62.983

What year is this from, and where was it held?

there is no way I can believe that they can't get high school students from around the area to participate...

High schools in the area...

Marion Harding---huge division 1 school

Marion Catholic

Ridgedale

River Valley

Pleasant

Cardington

Highland

Buckeye Valley

North Union

Marysville

Fairbanks

Deleware Hayes

Olentangy

Elgin

Big Walnut

Carey

Mohawk

Upper Sandusky

Mt. Gilead

Northmor

Buckeye Central

Bucyrus

Colonel Crawford

Crestline

Galion

Wynford

Ada

Hardin Northern

Kenton

Ridgemont

Upper Scioto Valley

That is 31 high schools...in either Marion County, or counties DIRECTLY ADJACENT to Marion county...If you could just get 3..that's right...3 kids from each school, that's over 90 corps members!

Things the above list doesn't even consider...local colleges...Ohio Northern, Ohio Wesleyan, Findlay....also, the above listed high schools were only from either marion county or counties adjacent....what if you actually went out 2 counties! What do you get? Columbus Ohio....Granted, Columbus is Capital Regiment country, but I'm sure there are kids that would like a smaller start in drum corps...and Cap. Regiment is having it's own problems as we speak.

I would guess that the above listed high schools bands average around 50 members. There are a lot of small schools in that list. There are also a couple real big ones...Marion Harding band has over 150 members...Marysville band has about 200, and I know the director is a Garfield Alum...Olentangy is getting pretty huge...Kenton is big...Bucyrus is big...

The kids are there...the potential talent is there...the problems I see is...can Marion actually support a drum corps nowadays...or, I guess the phrase should be WILL Marion support a drum corps...I know they can...

Scheduled practices with no practices...bingo money...bus rentals...What I see is people making money, without having to actually do any work to achieve it...corruption....

Either get out and recruit and have a corps, or drop it entirely...

edit...Carl...I rode with you to a couple bloo practices back in the fall of '83, i think....let's stop and buy a 4 year old banana flip!

Edited by skewerz