Marion Cadets

Leave post to help what? Danny boy is proposing the dissolution of the corps and you are agreeing, but asking for people to do what? Go to the web site and leave a message wishing them luck?

NO good luck and no dissolution.But feel free to point out whsts wrong we are trying to get control and give this organization back to the kids.

Carl

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could easily insert the name of several former II/III corps into this story. I can think of four from the top of my head. All still running bingo and other fundraising operations and no real attempt at ever fielding a corps again. Some corps have missions that are so loosely worded that almost anything qualifies as "advancing the love and appreciation of the artistry and pageantry of the drum and bugle corps activity" <read...we rented a van and took 6 kids to a show>

This is why the public has a general distrust for this activity...stories like this. It makes it harder for the organizations trying to do it for the right reasons.

Absolutely, Tom.

A fellow by the name of Ron White -- of Twilight Knights Drum and Bugle Corps -- was still, as of last summer, running a hot dog/brat stand to raise money, and last fall his picture was in the newspaper accepting a $500 donation check from WalMart for his drum corps (*sigh*) which, when pressed for "where are these kids?" - they say they are running a "parade corps in St. Louis." Ummm... sure you are.

This is the kind of crap that has gone on for years (in Fond du Lac, WI), and part of why we couldn't even get Marquis turned into an active "anything." The entire business community looks at "drum corps" like a contagious rash. Can't blame them. Marquis' final remaining funds are going to Fond du Lac Area Foundation, and tagged for performing arts use. Cap Sound was considered, and we did send them an initial $1500, but the Marquis board then decided the money raised in Fond du Lac needs to stay in the community.

That all said, there ARE a few legit parade "drum and bugle corps" out there. A guy here at work that works in the field plays a V-R contra in a 15-piece "drum and bugle corps" with a Bavarian theme, playing for October fests and stuff. (He does not have the time to march Kilties... I tried.) So, there ARE some "drum and bugle corps" outside our DCI/DCA thing.

Edited by dannyboy

NO good luck and no dissolution.But feel free to point out whsts wrong we are trying to get control and give this organization back to the kids.

Carl

The other nail in Marion's coffin is/has been Capital Regiment, which is just down the road. I just did Rick's home show marketing materials/post cards/posters and stuff and it sounds like green lights for 2009. You know, CR's in far better financials than most currently active corps.

Whoo hoo. 5:00. The start of a weekend of Kiltie Kamp and parade on Monday!

Absolutely, Tom.

A fellow by the name of Ron White -- of Twilight Knights Drum and Bugle Corps -- was still, as of last summer, running a hot dog/brat stand to raise money, and last fall his picture was in the newspaper accepting a $500 donation check from WalMart for his drum corps (*sigh*) which, when pressed for "where are these kids?" - they say they are running a "parade corps in St. Louis." Ummm... sure you are.

I can assure you, there is no parade corps in St. Louis that is affiliated with Twilight Knights. Several years back a guy from the St. Louis area did get involved with TK. Sadly, I was duped in to helping out on the percussion side, but I saw the writing on the wall and left when I could. This was back in 2000 or 2001.

The other nail in Marion's coffin is/has been Capital Regiment, which is just down the road. I just did Rick's home show marketing materials/post cards/posters and stuff and it sounds like green lights for 2009. You know, CR's in far better financials than most currently active corps.

Whoo hoo. 5:00. The start of a weekend of Kiltie Kamp and parade on Monday!

It's a joke.No camp as posted the drum and horn staff are gone off the web page and just like last year a little dance team is started.

Carl

So Carl. have you been involved helping? Did you volunteer? Maybe you helped Mike recover it many yeqrs ago? Did you buy any of the buses etc? Have you helped recruit or are you just the usual one that #####es. Marion has been as good under Mike King as they ever have been. Your screen name does no service to the blue coats

So Carl. have you been involved helping? Did you volunteer? Maybe you helped Mike recover it many yeqrs ago? Did you buy any of the buses etc? Have you helped recruit or are you just the usual one that #####es. Marion has been as good under Mike King as they ever have been. Your screen name does no service to the blue coats

Yes i have i was there in 85 and 86 one years we made div 3 finals.I was on my hands and knees cleaning and painting in 1969 when we purchased the hall and 13 years of sweat and we were oen class 125 members .U.S.Open finals,V.F.W ,AM Legion nationals finalist i don't think Mike has gotten there yet. Yes i took several of my private students down and no one ever contacted them. And yes again i went down a number of times and sat in the office with Mike telling him what he needed to do to get Marion kids but he did not listen.This all stopped one night when i received a phone call late one evening and it was Mike screaming 'yelling using improper words because i said they where not interested in working with the U.S.Open a class act.No i did not buy a buss no i have van don't need one and it seems that bingo purchased one and the other came from Glory.I do have 75 pages from former members and staff on how bad the were treated and things done underhand.4 years of no corps, no exibitions in Marion, just bingo and a pay day.I know all the band directors in the area and they all respect me for what i do.And last the Blue Coats seem to think my scream name dose justice as they inducted me in there hall of fame.I have the hall of fame jacket and trophies to show for my acomplishments in my career plus many awards from area schools .What has he got

Carl.

Edited by coats1952

Yes i have i was there in 85 and 86 one years we made div 3 finals.I was on my hands and knees cleaning and painting in 1969 when we purchased the hall and 13 years of sweat and we were oen class 125 members .U.S.Open finals,V.F.W ,AM Legion nationals finalist i don't think Mike has gotten there yet. Yes i took several of my private students down and no one ever contacted them. And yes again i went down a number of times and sat in the office with Mike telling him what he needed to do to get Marion kids but he did not listen.This all stoped one night when i received a phone call late one evening and it was Mike screaming 'yelling using improper words because i said they where not interested in working with the U.S.Open a class act.No i did not buy a buss no i have van don't need one and it seems that bingo purchased one and the other came from Glory.I do have 75 pages from former members and staff on how bad the were treated and things done underhand.4 years of no corps, no exibitions in Marion, just bingo and a pay day.I know all the band directors in the area and they all respect me for what i do.And last the Blue Coats seem to thik my scream name dose justice as they inducted me in there hall of fame.I have the hall of fame jacket and trophies to show for my acomplishments in my career plus many awards from area schools .What has he got

Carl.

Well and so modest too. I saw the Marion Cadets when they were an Open corps an Division III. The division III corps had much more talent and direction than in what you view as the glory days.

Sounds like scrubbing floors was a good task for you. Why don't you tell the whole story about the US Open thing. Why don't you also tell why corps quit attending it and why DCI dropped it. Peole with attitudes like your are why groups are not cuccessful. I talked to friens with the Bluecoasts as well. Here you you were complaining about them coming in 7th. Probably wanted them to put back color pres. It worked when Marion was the 25th runner up, also known as losing big

Right now you are part of the problemwith drum corps in general

And last the Blue Coats seem to thik my scream name dose justice as they inducted me in there hall of fame.I have the hall of fame jacket and trophies to show for my acomplishments in my career plus many awards from area schools .What has he got

Carl.

Were you also inducted into the Grammar Hall of Fame? Maybe you have a few National Spelling Bee Champion Trophies? Mensa Member Jacket? Please, please, keep going!

It's a shame to see these periodic threads about the tragedy of the Marion Cadets. My old corps also collapsed, has a successful bingo operation, but is still at least fielding a small parade corps. I'm amazed that the Cadets Director cannot even get some kids on the streets for local parades. That's just beyond pathetic and smacks of fraud. I wonder if the IRS can be alerted about their activities or lack thereof...