Jazz Running

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did jazz running become mainstream in our activity?

Looks cool from the stands but sucks if your the one on the field having to do it

I would like to see a corps have every member jazz run the entire show.

It was really neat watching 2007 Phantom jazz running across the field playing to their opener the day of finals.Probably the most amazing thing I have witnessed in drum corps since 75 Madison Scouts

There is a clip on it on the internet if you prowl around.It a must see for hard corps fans.

Edited by camel lips

SCV used to do 'low walking'

I wish I had gotten to jazz run forwards more, I think I did a total of 8 counts of actual jazz running, ever. All of my huge moves seemed to involve me being air-borne while running backwards - it's just not the same.

Airborne back up is way harder and way more fun.

Hey guys ...

Since jazz running and ballet moves are so common now in drum corps, I feel like I will need to invent a new technique for the marching field ... seems that the only thing missing is a combo of all styles which I will group into a new style called "tap running"

Think Pas de valse meets Petit saut ending in a furious series of kick ball changes to a cramp roll. All while wearing tap shoes of course.

Adieu mes petits choux!!!

Jazz running is awesome stuff to an old school guy like me. That clip of Phantom jazz running 100 yards the previous poster mentioned really is impressive. However, I don't think the ballet-pointy toe-tra-la-la stuff is very cool at all. Drum corps used to be much more masculine and hard in marching styles. Jazz running is aggressive and well suited for drum corps (Phantom '07's closer blew my mind), while the slower ballet stuff seems a little too feminine (for a horn or drum line) to be doing that for my tastes. Just 'cause you can do a pirouette with a soprano (um, er, trumpet I mean), doesn't mean you should. Leave that to the guard! :dozingoff:

What is the coolest jazz run you've ever seen? I like the opening move of SCV's "Phantom of the Opera". The crowd just eats that up.

Jazz running is awesome stuff to an old school guy like me. That clip of Phantom jazz running 100 yards the previous poster mentioned really is impressive. However, I don't think the ballet-pointy toe-tra-la-la stuff is very cool at all. Drum corps used to be much more masculine and hard in marching styles. Jazz running is aggressive and well suited for drum corps (Phantom '07's closer blew my mind), while the slower ballet stuff seems a little too feminine (for a horn or drum line) to be doing that for my tastes. Just 'cause you can do a pirouette with a soprano (um, er, trumpet I mean), doesn't mean you should. Leave that to the guard! :dozingoff:

What is the coolest jazz run you've ever seen? I like the opening move of SCV's "Phantom of the Opera". The crowd just eats that up.

My favorite probably would have to be the end of the opener in 97 Cadets "Celebration" show. That move is insane and I have a feeling there were lots of injuries practicing it.