Jazz Running

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did jazz running become mainstream in our activity? I hear people say Star was ahead of their time. When was this time?

It all started with the 27th lancers. One off day the mello line went out for Mexican food. The next morning at practice all 8 of them made a b-line for the men’s room when they were simultaneously hit with the runs. There was a guy there by the name of Zingali and he just fell in love with their "prancing"... The rest is history. :laughing:

It all started with the 27th lancers. One off day the mello line went out for Mexican food. The next morning at practice all 8 of them made a b-line for the men’s room when they were simultaneously hit with the runs. There was a guy there by the name of Zingali and he just fell in love with their "prancing"... The rest is history. :laughing:

Makes sense. Were there enough stalls? :lol:

Anyway, any actual background?

When did jazz running become mainstream in our activity? I hear people say Star was ahead of their time. When was this time?

Well, I can tell you that as far back as 1988 we (Suncoast) had quite a bit of jazz running in our show.

It all started with the 27th lancers. One off day the mello line went out for Mexican food. The next morning at practice all 8 of them made a b-line for the men’s room when they were simultaneously hit with the runs. There was a guy there by the name of Zingali and he just fell in love with their "prancing"... The rest is history. :lol:

:laughing:

Man, I wish we were allowed to jazz run just a bit..I'm glad I've never had to teach it, because I wouldn't have a clue..lol

Do we have to call it jazz running? I just looked up it's origins and it makes sense to call it that, but I just can't stand to call it "jazz running." Can we vote on another term? Who first did it in drum corps? An entire corps? A person? Bigsnareline's story sounds good to me. We can call it Montezuming. Anything but "jazz run" please.

Do we have to call it jazz running? I just looked up it's origins and it makes sense to call it that, but I just can't stand to call it "jazz running." Can we vote on another term? Who first did it in drum corps? An entire corps? A person? Bigsnareline's story sounds good to me. We can call it Montezuming. Anything but "jazz run" please.

I dont understand why we would want to change the name? Most corps are using a variety of basic ballet technique, what would be the point of changing what everything is called?

I think this topic came up about six months ago, and if I recall the general consensus was, nobody really knows, but it most likely began with guard members in certain corps that were just beginning to edge away from the older style of color guard into a more modern style.