Blue Devils 2007

Sep 10 2007, 08:05 PM

From same person: "The laughing was done by the same pit member who did the "offer you can't refuse" line in 06. The sound was lowered by the staff member working the mixer board [which is legal]. I thought it was a cool effect" same thread a few pages back

As this effect falls under the heading of "mixing" and the board was operated in accordance with the rules....no cheating.

This IS, however, an example of teh amp rule not being thought out to PREVENT such alterations to the original sound.

The REAL question is....did the laugh give a competitive advantage? When you can barely hear it by itself? I thought it was an amped bass head until someone pointed out it was a voice....such usage for a few seconds -- that generally gvot buried beneath the space chords -- certainly doesn;t account for the almost FULL POINY spread between BD and Cadets.

Cadets got beat fairly...end of story.

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not debatable, nor is it the issue I wish to discuss.

Then I guess there is no reason for us to discuss it.

As this effect falls under the heading of "mixing"

the sound was produced w/ electronics, the sound was not possible with out re-shaping the wave…effects are synthesizers period.

look, I'm an effect head and would play with about 12 pedals (I hate racks) this is not mixing

Besides, another corps member has stated the DCI would not let them use a delay on their voice so if you can’t use a delay you can’t use a pitch blend or octave drop

so are you saying Blue Devils don't understand electronics yet they voted to pass them?

As this effect falls under the heading of "mixing" and the board was operated in accordance with the rules....no cheating.

This IS, however, an example of teh amp rule not being thought out to PREVENT such alterations to the original sound.

The REAL question is....did the laugh give a competitive advantage? When you can barely hear it by itself? I thought it was an amped bass head until someone pointed out it was a voice....such usage for a few seconds -- that generally gvot buried beneath the space chords -- certainly doesn;t account for the almost FULL POINY spread between BD and Cadets.

Cadets got beat fairly...end of story.

Totally agree with you: Blue Devils won, synthesized laugh or not. Like I said I didn't even notice it until this Sept. thread. :tongue:

Then I guess there is no reason for us to discuss it.

the full quote of mine is 'Firstly, they did cheat; they used electronics that dropped vocals 3 octaves for the demon laugh in space cords. This is not debatable, nor is it the issue I wish to discuss. '

as I said, that part is a given, I want to know the implications and what it means in the greater context

Quoting out of context to change the meaning is rather dishonest, more so for a professed journalist

And as an employee of DCI and in regards to your post, are you saying DCI doesn’t want this discussed?

Better yet, why don’t you tell me what your post does mean

Thanks in advance

That's quite a serious accusation....but incorrect.

There is nothing in section 4 of the rulebook (the one that covers equipment and includes the amplification section, sec 4.3). It says the amplification of human voice is allowed...it says nothing about prohibiting alteration of teh signal from mike to speaker.

I was unable to copy from teh pdf of the rulebook, but I took a screenshot...hopefully it's readable.

amprule.jpg

Please point out WHAT rule was violated...I don;t see it....and if there's no rule in the books, there's no rule to be broken, and thus, no cheating.

Sorry, I missed this the first time….the rule in question is the one that allows for electronics

If you read the member quote, the one that preformed the vocal, he said ‘”that channel alone was plugged into a modulator that brought whatever sound projected from the mic 3 octaves lower”

the key words being.....plugged into a modulator ....we need to see the part of the rules that allow that

the full quote of mine is 'Firstly, they did cheat; they used electronics that dropped vocals 3 octaves for the demon laugh in space cords. This is not debatable, nor is it the issue I wish to discuss. '

as I said, that part is a given, I want to know the implications and what it means in the greater context

Quoting out of context to change the meaning is rather dishonest, more so for a professed journalist

And as an employee of DCI and in regards to your post, are you saying DCI doesn't want this discussed?

Better yet, why don't you tell me what your post does mean

Thanks in advance

Could you show us the rule as listed that you are referencing so I can go ahead and see that it is indeed not debatable? Also, some link to the other drum corps person that "has stated the DCI would not let them use a delay on their voice so if you can't use a delay you can't use a pitch blend or octave drop " would be great too.

Too bad they didn't go ahead and shift the voice in the 2005 show to really give people here something to talk about!

That's quite a serious accusation....but incorrect.

There is nothing in section 4 of the rulebook (the one that covers equipment and includes the amplification section, sec 4.3). It says the amplification of human voice is allowed...it says nothing about prohibiting alteration of teh signal from mike to speaker.

Please point out WHAT rule was violated...I don;t see it....and if there's no rule in the books, there's no rule to be broken, and thus, no cheating.

Looks pretty clear to me. What is permitted is amplification of voice, not alteration or synthesization? It is not simply amplifying but creating a new sound.

That said, they had all year to note it and correct it if it was to be corrected. DCI allows this to go on all year and then penalizes them at DCI Finals? Not likely.

And btw, assuming this is a violation then, no BD did not beat Cadets (end of story). The great Satan it appears was screwed out of a championship.

The real moral of this story is fairly obvious IMO and has more to do with who has the power in DCI and who does or does not have to follow the rules.

Edited by Scerpella

This thread is just about the lamest thread in the history of lame threads.

2007 is over. Blue Devils won. If there was a problem nobody raised their hand at the time, and it's too late now.

Game over. Get over it already.

####! When is the first show already?