Blue Devils 2007

How do you know that they just didnt use an eq, take away all the high end frequencies, amp up all the lower ends, and find a guy with a low soft laugh to begin with?.. Just sayin...

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know that they just didnt use an eq, take away all the high end frequencies, amp up all the lower ends, and find a guy with a low soft laugh to begin with?.. Just sayin...

Evidently you didn't read the thread where a BD pit member described in detail how it was accomplished.

Garry in Vegas

Why hasn't someone who was involved in the design process or knowledgeable about the rule commented yet?

Again, BD's pit arranger offered his view in the original thread in September. He was certainly involved in the design process.

For someone "knowledgeable about the rule", however, the jury is still out....

Well, because the rules are about AMPLIFICATION and MICS. Not about pitch-shifting and other electronic sound generation.

And it says something like 'all necessary equipment' in the rule. If BD wanted to drop the voice 3 octaves, then anything used to do so was "necessary" to generate that sound. As long as it was determined to be illegal at any point in the season, or half-season that it was apparently used, what's the issue?

I'm not sure if the thread needed more substance, or a gyro. ("I need a gyro. I'm holding out for a gyro 'till the morning light...")

I had one for lunch yesterday, with a nice Greek salad on the side... mmmmmmgoooood. :thumbdown:

So to make sure I understand your position here:

Using electronic devices to change the pitch of an acoustic sound in a drum corps show is not only allowed by DCI rules, but is also in the spirit of the activity?

Basically, since it was okay for BD to change the pitch of a spoken voice, it's also okay the change the pitch of anything else fed through a mixing board. Including amplified instruments.

That is the precedent being set, and the precedent many people are concerned about. That is the issue being discussed. You don't think that is a valid issue?

Absolutely agree that any and all tools to create whatever sounds the corps wants to use should be permitted, electronic or not. That means that no, I don't see it as a valid issue.

Therefore I agree with Mike D, completely. Mike, this May be a first - please stop it.

Oh, I'm sure it's just a temporary condition that will pass shortly with some rest and a nice hot cup of green tea. :thumbdown: