drum corps/band uspide down?

A topic on the DCI side reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend of my father-in-law, about 2 years ago. He is a physicist and well known world wide for his unique hobby of certain types of naval models.

Anyway, he was asking me about my hobby of drum corps and I explained it to him as best I could. I'm paraphrasing his remarks from what I remember. It was an amusing little conversation.

I told him I was only in an alumni corps because I didn't want to do a field show and didn't have time to do the travel and practice for a field show.

He said, "Let me get this straight; you do mostly local patriotic/holiday parades, like when you were younger; you practice to perfect your hobby; you still play bugles, although what you call real corps play what you call band instruments."

"Your group provides an activity for local folk and the "real corps" pretty much provide a group for elite people from across the country."

"If you do a drill, it tends to be more military in design because that's how it started, but the "real corps" do a show more like a showy halftime show, with dancing and sets on the field."

"Sounds, to me, like you have your definition of "real corps" mixed up."

I told him, they say it's the evolution of the activity. He laughed and said it sounded like it had evolved itself out of existence.

A topic on the DCI side reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend of my father-in-law, about 2 years ago. He is a physicist and well known world wide for his unique hobby of certain types of naval models.

Anyway, he was asking me about my hobby of drum corps and I explained it to him as best I could. I'm paraphrasing his remarks from what I remember. It was an amusing little conversation.

I told him I was only in an alumni corps because I didn't want to do a field show and didn't have time to do the travel and practice for a field show.

He said, "Let me get this straight; you do mostly local patriotic/holiday parades, like when you were younger; you practice to perfect your hobby; you still play bugles, although what you call real corps play what you call band instruments."

"Your group provides an activity for local folk and the "real corps" pretty much provide a group for elite people from across the country."

"If you do a drill, it tends to be more military in design because that's how it started, but the "real corps" do a show more like a showy halftime show, with dancing and sets on the field."

I told him, they say it's the evolution of the activity. He laughed and said it sounded like it had evolved itself out of existence.

TA-DA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TA-DA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Evolved out of Existance":

Bingo.... :thumbup:

Elphaba

Awesome!

Wow... Talk about hitting the nail on the head.

You don't have to be a physicist to see that this guy knows what he's talkin' about!!! :thumbup:

Having just read a history of my corps that covered 1920-1995, these two paragraphs describe those early days to a 'T'. The corps started as a parade unit and didn't do a field competition until 1949. The more I read about pre-competition days the more I thought "Hades, that's what we're doing now".

Great timing Marty, as Monday we do two parades a Memorial Day ceremony (both locally).

Good stuff that is!!! :thumbup:

Ironically....I started out in a parade corps that did a little field work...then wanted more so I joined a field corps...now that I'm old and "retired" I'd like to do a little parade thing occasionally...(no Jim...Hanover is too far :shutup: )

Anyways..Jim...what corps history were you reading? (and where does one get this to read?)

Another "You Had To Be There" moment.

Edited by gsksun4

What ore can be said he is "bang on"