Fuel Prices

IMO, the rise of fuel costs is the number one issue facing DCI, and an issue/topic that might make for some interesting dialog. I think we could easily see a scaled back tour by next summer. With oil company profits at an all time high, why is this happening? Could Lucas 'OIL" become a sponsor? What the h*** is going on with our government? Thoughts?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go back to something I said when this discussion came up a couple of years ago as gas was consistently getting to the $2.25/gallon mark. Drum Corps who want to survive this kind of economic crunch are going to have to become creative. Particularly small corps. When I toured in 1994 with the Northmen, we hit EVERY town with the Madison Jr. Scouts and the Bandettes. None of us were that big and we typically were all next to each other in the lineup at shows. We could have easily "bus pooled" fitting all members and staff on a total of 2 busses, versus the three that we followed each other around in. Just in doing that, amertize the cost of 1 bus not being run over the summer and we're talking about a few thousand dollars.

Oh would this be inconvenient? Sure it would. It would require some scheduling and housing gymnastics for all three corps. HOWEVER, once you got used to it, I don't think it would be as bad as everyone thinks. OR even if you did it only for the first tour and then re-divided for the national tour.

Then there would be some other ideas for money savings like combining (then dividing) the corps to make two decent sized parade ensembles that could learn some common tune and cover more parades on the 4th of July, etc. And consolidating to a single food truck/program as well and saved money buy buying in greater bulk and such. OR maybe all of DCI should put together a shopping list and go to Sysco and say, "Allright, what price will you give us on 10,000 bags of breakfast cereal?" versus the typical 500 that a corps might individually buy.

Anyway...my point is, that I think corps will survive this not as much by depending on fans, but uniting to find creative "symbiotic" solutions.

I wonder if any of the corps have attempted to try to hedge fuel prices...I just saw the Gas prices in Belleville, IL at $4.71/gallon at around 300 gallons per semi is about 1400 per fillup. This could be the end of corps as we know it and that is sad.

I think Mike still wishes he could be busmates with a Bandette.

Well, who wouldn't? But you've got to clue me in on the reference, as I don't remember it.

However, I have just one photo of a corps (other than the collage of me in uniform) framed and hanging in my office, and that corps is the Bandettes. No, I was stalking them, but photographer Ron Walloch sent me a photo he took of five Bandettes holding up a banner on the field proclaiming, "THIS ONE'S FOR YOU, BOO!" I asked director Mary Wilson about it and she said they had someone who worked with the corps who was nicknamed Boo and he had to leave during the season, so they surprised him during a performance with the banner.

Its they're going to a five judge panel prior to july 4th, They should change the judging system back to 8 next season.

I wonder if any of the corps have attempted to try to hedge fuel prices...I just saw the Gas prices in Belleville, IL at $4.71/gallon at around 300 gallons per semi is about 1400 per fillup. This could be the end of corps as we know it and that is sad.

I'm pretty some of the corps did this 2-3 years ago.

There is a program that a number of the corps participate in. You can protect against further rising costs, but there is nothing that can be done about the increase that has been experienced since last summer.