1991 Santa Clara Vanguard: Miss Saigon

Think about it, though. Could the tape have affected the resonance of the whistle, therefore changing the character of the sound and improving it?

What Gail was doing was challenging his staff to do their best. Was this the best effect, or was there a better option? Scott just played the game and won. But maybe his solution actually made it sound better.

I saw this show earlier in the summer in SoCal, and all three days in Dallas. What a great show, regardless of finish.

Garry in Vegas

A very very good show, oozing with effect, a fantastic drumline, and a great guard. Great musical adaption of the Broadway show.

My one sore spot with this show is that it starts the 'dirty feet, dirty brass' era of SCV...well, maybe 1990 did, but 1991 felt more like it. Maybe that's just me...

• Like 1

My thoughts on the show -

- great entrance / opening effect. If someone mentions "helicopter" you automatically know what show they mean!

- The uniforms looked *very* nice on the field. The red drums really stand out, and I think that's one of the last times you see contrasting shoes on the field.

- As much as I like it, the opener is kind of a mess - there's not a real logical melody to it, and there's some strange phasing in the brass. Still oozes attitude, though. :)

- Sun and Moon is a *great* ballad.

- Morning of the Dragon is also very well done - was the first time I saw the wood block / marching feet thing.

- The Wedding, as it seemed mostly backfield, kind of gets lost on the audio.

- Fall of Saigon = awesome. :whip:

- The drill wasn't really that memorable for me. The staging, however, was - the guard did a great job with the show and the design really showed them off to very good effect.

Anyways, quick thoughts - one of the best of the "Broadway" DCI shows!

Mike

Ya know, in all these years and as many times as I have seen this show (it is one of my all time favorites of SCV) I NEVER noticed the bottom right corner of the communist flag with the little bit of red white and blue in it! Wierd huh?

Thanks for bringing some attention to an often overlooked show!

1991 was an interesting year to march, to say the least. There are WAY too many memories and juicy factoids to try and spill in a forum post. So...I share with you a few observations/facts/opinions from my experiences.

1991 was one year shy of the "media age" of drum corps. I believe 1992 (in particular our drumline) sort of ushered in the heavy-duty archiving of "parking lot events," so the 1991 line never got the same exposure as would the 1992 line (as far as being "YouTube legends", etc.). Yes, 1992's line reads like a "who's who" of marching percussion biggies, but 1991's line was equally talented and comparable in every way to the 1992 line. This was a line that one never grew tired of playing in.

1991's horn line was very weak by SCV standards. Comparisons were made all season to the 1988 line, also weak, and the tremendous run it had at the end of the season culminating in an incredible finals performance. We waited...it never came. While the season was nothing to hang one's head over, many felt that the 1990 or 1992 hornlines would have blowtorched stadiums with this show.

The show was not even close to being ready for the start of the season. The Fall of Saigon was played entirely at a standstill in our early shows and we did not march the full drill until we left for SoCal (probably late June). BD (who had just the opposite of us--ridiculous hornline, uncharacteristically weak drumline), was beating us by a full 8-10 points early season, even though we were winning drums by as much as 2 full points. We knew things would come around (and they did).

As for how much we copied, borrowed, or stole from Beyer H. S. (who performed this in the fall of 1990), I'll never know. What I do know is that we still had Gail Royer, Gordon Henderson, Myron Rosander, and Wes Cartwright who all brought the magic to life in 1989. What we put on the field was most definitely SCV, and not some pale imitation of someone else's product.

Glad you enjoyed the show!

Edited by kerickson

What a great show. If they had the feet and horns to go along with the GE and drums, they win it all or come in a very close second.

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps my fav SCV show ever. The emotion that was portrayed, all the color and timbre percussion provided...the guard and the rice patty winds, vivant red flags on the field, helicopter drumline...and what about that drumline...incredible. I love the decelerando and accelerando at the end...neat effect.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite part of the show is the very end - during the horn line's sustained chord to end the show, the drum line does a ######, then an Accelerando, and a cool lick as the horns cut off - SWEET!! ......and that is from a horn player too!

From 10:30-10:54 on the recording are some of my favorite drum parts ever played. I can't remember for sure, but I think '91 was a Scott Johnson line. Easily one of my favorite shows from the early 90's.

Yeah, it was Scott Johnson. Great drum book, great show.