Cadets

The 2008 Cadets have moved-in for the season and I was fortunate enough to spend the majority of my weekend with them. I was pleased to see the full corps (minus a few brass players that had school commitments) in attendance already.The corps had their first full ensemble drill rehearsal of the year yesterday. About 1/3 of the show is complete as of yesterday and tomorrow morning the corps will be at Johnstown for 3 weeks of intense rehearsals. From following this group all winter, I could see the potential, but I am quite impressed how quickly they are transitioning to the field. The quality of sound, marching style and intensity was quite acceptable, maybe even remarkable for this early. I will admit I have concerns regarding the narration component of the show, however, I am sure this corps is going to be really, really good! :thumbdown:

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure this corps is going to be really, really good! :thumbdown:

As they typically are. Thanks for the info!

I was at their "Evening with the Cadets" last night in Springfield. I know their music book gets tweaked throughout the season, and if last night is any indication, they have an incredible foundation to start from.

We only got a taste of the narration, which I wasn't overly fond of, but I'm sure that too will be going through some changes as well.

Bottom line is this corps is coming out of the gates on fire.

Cadets!!??? :thumbdown:

I know a lot of people are against narration, and might hate the Cadets for it. But I think if they just balanced it out between narration and brass, they could have a great season ahead of them. Looking foward to seeing their show and how they do!

Edited by boston_crusaders135

I know a lot of people are against narration, and might hate the Cadets for it. But I think if they just balanced it out between narration and brass, they could have a great season ahead of them. Looking foward to seeing their show and how they do!

do you really think this will be the year someone finds a way to blend amplified voices into unamplified instruments to create a consistent and balanced ensemble sound? because really, between bands and drum corps no one has managed it in over 30 years of trying, and unless the cadets are going to bring an enormously talented live sound engineer with a full studio board and complement of amps and speakers then its absurd to think they might. this isn't a philosophical comment on the appropriateness of narration and amps, though some will take it as such, it's merely a rational look at their actual use, which on the technical side has been poor at best.

do you really think this will be the year someone finds a way to blend amplified voices into unamplified instruments to create a consistent and balanced ensemble sound? because really, between bands and drum corps no one has managed it in over 30 years of trying, and unless the cadets are going to bring an enormously talented live sound engineer with a full studio board and complement of amps and speakers then its absurd to think they might. this isn't a philosophical comment on the appropriateness of narration and amps, though some will take it as such, it's merely a rational look at their actual use, which on the technical side has been poor at best.

Not looking for trouble, just saying that behind all that narration hustle and bustle, I know their is a GREAT hornline. I like how they blended some narration like drum speaking stuff in their 2005 show. If they use narration like that in this years show, it could be amazing!

Not looking for trouble, just saying that behind all that narration hustle and bustle, I know their is a GREAT hornline.

The thing is, we ALL know that. It's just too bad that Hopkins insists on doing voice narration, which is taking away from such talented performers. Think about it... without narration, we wouldn't spend all summer talking about the controversy. Instead, we could spend all that time talking about the actually performers and how great they are. It's just too bad George Hopkins can't realize that.